Golf school, would you?

golfinFF

Reaction score
Handicap
21.9 oob
The itinerary would include golf and two range sessions to cover long game(full swing) and short game(Pw yardage and in). During play your instructor gives course management tips, ways to hit from difficult lies we may only see a couple times a year as well as different ways to play the same shot. What he sees during play he's also watching your swing too see if it's the same on course vs range.

Is this something you would be interested in doing? (Edit)This is with your regular instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. Interest would of course depend on proximity and cost.

Thought about doing this over the years just never did commit.

Yes, I would do this. I think it could be valuable. Why not make it a 2 week class with more range and course time. And have a couple different skill levels classes. That way one could take the class multiple times for more instruction as their games progressed. As well a an hour a day of class education. Charge somewhere in the $750 a person range. Have 1 instructor per 8 people. Have class first thing in the AM. Then do a few hours of range time. Then lunch. Then course time. Course time would take longer than a normal round. So that's why from lunch on course time. The instructor could then rotate 9's with both groups. Have each 4 some go to each ball. So that every person in the that group see's every shot. The other group would be just be playing a practice round implementing the stuff they learned so far that day.

You have a great idea Jason!

I would as well.As of now I only listen to people who teach golf for a living.The rest swing stuff on golf forums is just from the hobby-arm chair quarter back crowd.Going to a facility that is all golf from the best in the business is ideal for me.

Nope. Crash courses are not for me when it comes to instruction.

I did a 3 day one and got a lot out of it.

When I win the lottery, I'm calling Hank!

That idea sounds fun. I've thought about going to a 2 or 3 day golf school in the past, like the ones that Martin Chuck and Andrew Rice run. My big concern is after the school is over, how does a person keep working on those concepts and make sure they are on the right path, because it's not like a person can go right back to that person for a lesson a month later.

I did it a few years ago, but that was in Vegas at the Butch Harmon school of golf. Day and a half of instruction, then 9 holes with an instructor. Ratio of student to teacher was maybe 5:2 or at worst 3:1.

I would do it again, ideally closer to home and for quite a bit less money. I will say it got me playing the best golf of my life until I tinkered with my swing and went down the toilet.

One weekend golf lessons, in my opinion, does nothing to improve my game. Lessons, over time and repetition, that's where I can get better.
I've never been one to think a cram session is going to do anything for me long term.

I did one of these when I was younger, twice. Once in middle school when I was first learning the game and a second time in High School just to smooth out some details. Now, no thanks. I'd rather stick with one instructor to fine tune, no crash course.

Always thought about it. Can never get anyone else to bite the bullet and jump in with doing it.

I agree with JB on this. Additionally golf schools are a poor value. You're paying individual lesson rates for group lessons and 8 to 1 is not a good ratio for the student. $750 could pay for individual lessons for 3 months.

I would be interested in something along these lines. Now not at a $750 price tag tho. As a high handicapper I think this could help me out as a few little tips could potentially help my game quite a bit.

No, I would prefer to work with someone and get lessons every 2 to 4 weeks. Supplementing the range lessons with playing lessons to cover course management and anything else that may arise. This is the formula I am currenly working with and have in the past.

I don't see the value in a two day crash course. I want someone who is in it for the long haul and that I can talk to on a daily basis(if need be). Not someone who I see once for two or three days.

Only if the instruction was heavily tilted towards the mental side and it was part of a group get-a-way type weekend. Otherwise, I'd stick with my local instructor who knows my swing and what we've been working on.

For the cost of techs golf schools I have seen and depending on location the cost of travel it would be more beneficial to buy a package of lessons from a pro on my area.

I did a Dave Pelz short game one day school - but not full swing and not on course. Cost was about $400, only 4 ppl in the class.
I have though long and hard about the three day school, but I do not know if it will help in the long run, as the lessons from a local pro (in the long run) would have a better ROI for me.

I doubt it but I never say never!

Only way I ever pay $750 is of you get unlimited access to a golf course while you are there at no extra cost.

Haha I thought this was about "Golf School" like the Golf Academy of America or something. No this is probably not something I would consider.

As others have noted, I think it more worthwhile to use the money for individual lessons from a local PGA teaching professional. However, if it were rather inexpensive, I might consider a buddy trip, but not as an individual.

That idea sounds fun. I've thought about going to a 2 or 3 day golf school in the past, like the ones that Martin Chuck and Andrew Rice run. My big concern is after the school is over, how does a person keep working on those concepts and make sure they are on the right path, because it's not like a person can go right back to that person for a lesson a month later.

Not always the case.

So a couple of the pros I worked with would offer weekend long "golf schools". They were then available, though at additional costs, for future lessons.

I think they're a good idea if you're unsure about signing up for one on one lessons or don't really have the time to set up weekly lessons, etc. Feeding off Amol's point though, don't be shocked if it doesn't bring out major changes, quickly.

A couple people brought up not with an instructor they aren't familiar with, or can't see again.

If this was with your regular instructor does that change things? They already know your game and swing.

Back