DC MD VA Area Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree the course could have been better considering the price but the company was outstanding!!

I got the same one John. Basically told them layout wise it's hard to find a better course, but the price for the conditions of the greens, ( and I also found quite a few holes where the fairways still had aerations holes in them ) etc was high. To me, at 105.00 dollars, the course had better be pristine. 79.00 would make it easier to swallow.

I agree, but I'm a tightwad anyway. As my father-in-law would say, I'll squeeze a nickel so hard the indian rides the buffalo.

I agree the course could have been better considering the price but the company was outstanding!!

Totally agree... THP guys are the best!

Off Thur so planning to get a round in. Thinking of going to MD Nat'l

I guess I must have totally been comparing the conditions to what we paid for at Bulle Rock two months ago. While there were some ball marks no doubt, I felt the conditions overall were very good. yeah, It's not a cheap course and not a price I'd pay every week for sure. But I honestly have no complaints at all. Of course I didn't end up in a some severe deer tracks in the sand like JohnSINVa did....bout what a hell of a shot out of that.

Oh and he wasn't bothered by the ball marks on the par 3 third where he calmly rolled in what had to be a 90 footer, from the front left to the back right pin...LOL

T2GRN18:
I don't think I formally thanked you for getting the outing together at Whiskey Creek. I know how much work in can be from past experience so thank you for getting everything lined up for us.

I wonder why Whiskey didn't send me an email ? LOL, because they probably knew I'd write them back about a few things.

First the good:
* A great range with actual grass and not crabgrass and all you can hit balls (I really needed the all you can hit balls since I hadn't swung a club since Bulle Rock and the TM Demo day)
* For the most part the fairways (sure, there were some places that still had aeration holes but fortunately for me, I was just off the fairway for the most part, LOL)
* The course layout and in general the spectacular mountain views with the changing colors of the leaves. Mother Nature at it's finest (plus the golf gods who saw fit to blow the impending drizzle away)
* The food was pretty good. CAA_Beat and I ordered ahead on hole 8 and I didn't realize how hungry I got and pretty much devoured my burger. Of course I blame that extra burger weight for slightly pulling my approach on hole 13 into the bunkers guarding that par 3, ha ha ha...
* The best part, hanging out with fellow THP'rs.

The Bad:
* While the greens weren't terrible, a lot of pitch marks weren't being fixed and the sand wasn't being raked. For paying $109 bucks, I thought the greens would of been in better condition too pitch marks aside.
* The cost of the round. I know CAA_Beat and I played this course a few years ago during the day and I think we still payed $98 (that's the number in my head). It left a bad taste in my mouth paying that much back then and I still don't like to play rounds that expensive unless it's a destination course (of course my thinking changed to this line after having kids - CAA_Beat can probably tell you PK (pre-kids) we were dropping all kinds of $$$ on courses, equipment and whatever that was golf related, LOL)).
*My game play. Had some killer shots (can you say a two Phil Mickelson type shots, one between two trees only about a foot and a half apart on a par 3 and two wedge shots out of the sand that had some major juicy juice on it and spun it back (normally blade or chunk those so it was awesome to pull something off like that)) but in the end just didn't hit the ball well.
* Having to leave so quickly after the round.

Still, it was a pleasure to meet Mizunofan99 and JohnSinVA for the first time. Both had terrific games. Sadly, JohnSinVA brought sticks that were backwards so I couldn't test out the new WilsonProtos on the range :act-up:, Ha ha ha. Great to meet everyone else as well, both old friends and new THP'ers. We'll have to do it again soon.

I guess I must have totally been comparing the conditions to what we paid for at Bulle Rock two months ago. While there were some ball marks no doubt, I felt the conditions overall were very good. yeah, It's not a cheap course and not a price I'd pay every week for sure. But I honestly have no complaints at all. Of course I didn't end up in a some severe deer tracks in the sand like JohnSINVa did....bout what a hell of a shot out of that.

Oh and he wasn't bothered by the ball marks on the par 3 third where he calmly rolled in what had to be a 90 footer, from the front left to the back right pin...LOL

This is how I felt. I had zero complaints really, if ball marks are the worst thing then I'm okay with that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I thought there were a few places that ball marks were an issue. But it wasn't a crazy amount for a late fall round. The question is how many of us fixed more than we made? It's more on our fellow golfers than it is on the course. As far as wild animal tracks in the sand....really? If they were that bad, why not tell the people your playing with that you were going to lift the ball, rake it, and drop the ball in play? i was disappointed they wouldn't work with is about the rate, but we knew going in what it was going to be. However I do agree that W/C was better then Bulle Rock for ROI.

I thought there were a few places that ball marks were an issue. But it wasn't a crazy amount for a late fall round. The question is how many of us fixed more than we made? It's more on our fellow golfers than it is on the course. As far as wild animal tracks in the sand....really? If they were that bad, why not tell the people your playing with that you were going to lift the ball, rake it, and drop the ball in play? i was disappointed they wouldn't work with is about the rate, but we knew going in what it was going to be. However I do agree that W/C was better then Bulle Rock for ROI.

I fixed one or two marks in addition to my own. I'll give you the greens since the grass isn't growing as actively but raking bunkers should be routine, at least for the ones greenside.

I'm actually surprised they wouldn't come down a bit on the fee, too. It's not like it was standing room only. Either way I had a hell of a time and in the end it was money well spent.

Ha ha. I got the same two emails and was going to post that we played a week too early. Next Sunday is $79 And the Redskins have a Bye..... HMMMMH

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

With the Skins Bye this week (they can't lose for once) ... were you thinking of playing Sunday? I have the 'honey-do-list' on Saturday but was considering getting out somewhere on Sunday. Any thoughts?

Hmmh. I know a guy that might be able to get a DMV outing a good group price next season ?

And if anyone is in charge of planning or the committee of any fund raising events in 2016. I'd love to have you out for a site tour and round.

Give me a few weeks and we'll talk

With the Skins Bye this week (they can't lose for once) ... were you thinking of playing Sunday? I have the 'honey-do-list' on Saturday but was considering getting out somewhere on Sunday. Any thoughts?
Thought about it. But in reality not sure what the plans are yet.

To be honest here - ball marks on the greens here often are an issue. I have played rounds here in the summer, and had a round on the golfweek tour, and even then there were a lot of unrepaired or poorly repaired marks. Still, that really is the complaint I have. It is still right there, ( along with Musket Ridge, and maybe Md Nat'l ) just behind Lodestone, as my favorite public course in the state.

Hmmh. I know a guy that might be able to get a DMV outing a good group price next season ?

And if anyone is in charge of planning or the committee of any fund raising events in 2016. I'd love to have you out for a site tour and round.

My wife is heavily involved with relay for life, does that count?

To be honest here - ball marks on the greens here often are an issue. I have played rounds here in the summer, and had a round on the golfweek tour, and even then there were a lot of unrepaired or poorly repaired marks. Still, that really is the complaint I have. It is still right there, ( along with Musket Ridge, and maybe Md Nat'l ) just behind Lodestone, as my favorite public course in the state.

How often do you get up to play Lodestone?

Not an issue...I just like feeling the club and not have to wear big winter gloves to play...plus thin shots in cold is no bueno.

Sorry I missed this yesterday... #SwingBetter :D

Normally I'd be interested, but I'll be travelling back Sunday from visiting my daughter in NC and ex isn't always "accurate" on dropoff time.

How often do you get up to play Lodestone?

Played it twice. First time was last October. Was 40' when we teed off, and about 20mph wind. ( we actually played Fantasy Valley first! ) Started drizzling on the front 9, turned to snow showers on the back! Still - course was magnificent. Some unreal views.

Played it twice. First time was last October. Was 40' when we teed off, and about 20mph wind. ( we actually played Fantasy Valley first! ) Started drizzling on the front 9, turned to snow showers on the back! Still - course was magnificent. Some unreal views.

October snow sounds pretty typical. I haven't had a chance to play there yet. Probably will have to wait until 2016.

Hmmh. I know a guy that might be able to get a DMV outing a good group price next season 

Rob, I read your "Great News" post. Congratulations, I couldn't be happier for you, my friend. At this writing, I know of nothing, but if I ever hear of anything with which I think you may have an interest, I will definitely let you know.

>> I thought there were a few places that ball marks were an issue. But it wasn't a crazy amount for a late fall round. <<

I didn't miss many due to ball marks.
:act-up:

Bob (Diveguy)

>> I thought there were a few places that ball marks were an issue. But it wasn't a crazy amount for a late fall round. <<

I didn't miss many due to ball marks.
:act-up:

Bob (Diveguy)

Like the 90 footer from the fringe on 14 for a ho-hum everyday run-of-the-mill birdie?

It's amazing how easy they are when all you're tryin to do is keep it on the green :banana:

Bob (Diveguy)

Is anyone playing this weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back