#TheGrandaddy Prep- MikeG

mikeg_74

2015 Grandaddy | 2019 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11ish
Freddie-

In a nutshell I'm happy overall where I'm at. If I make a mistake it's a lazy swing or me getting too quick with my tempo. The two videos are of my 8i and my driver I took last night on the range. I tried as best I could to get a bright enough picture.

With my irons I feel like I could compress the ball a little better, but when I make adjustments I tend to catch it heavy.

Driver is good and the video looks like I'm standing further away than I am. I feel like any closer I'm crowding the ball and when I step up a bit the results are pull hooks or a big push fade.

Any help is appreciated.

8iron

https://vimeo.com/144658774

Driver

https://vimeo.com/144659134

Dude that follow though is Freddie Couplesesque. Love it

Did you nut that driver? You did a little squat/hop at the end of the video like you killed it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike man great looking swing you have. I know you say dont think your too far away on the driver but I think you might be a half a step to far away. I always though you wanted your hands to rest somewhere below your shoulders and almost hang there. I am probably off base here and I am sure Freddie will come in here and get you right for the Granddady.

Any advice, I will save to those more knowledgeable than me. Your tempo looks fantastic to me.

Did you nut that driver? You did a little squat/hop at the end of the video like you killed it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

it certainly looked like he nutted it! although the squat hop is my move when i just barely miss the sweet spot in what otherwise felt like a good swing. it's the physical representation of "d@mn that was close to being good"

to op- transition into downswing looks a smidge ott, but i wouldn't change anything right now. it looks like you're making good contact, and in the direction of your target line. i know i could stand to have more of that in my life.

Dude that follow though is Freddie Couplesesque. Love it

So true! Great looking swing Mike. Consistency is your biggest thing cause you know you can hit the shots.

Dude! As somebody who has played several rounds with you, I can say that's the best I have seen you look, especially tempo wise.....smooth!

Mike you have worked very hard on your and its very evident to me that you have grooved that swing. I have seen first hand and can appreciate your dedication. The one thing that has always stood out to me is your tempo. It is very slow and deliberate as well as efficient. I think it could be more powerful but you've worked hard on control. So we will make a few adjustments cut down on the misses.

Mike you have worked very hard on your and its very evident to me that you have grooved that swing. I have seen first hand and can appreciate your dedication. The one thing that has always stood out to me is your tempo. It is very slow and deliberate as well as efficient. I think it could be more powerful but you've worked hard on control. So we will make a few adjustments cut down on the misses.

Thanks Freddie.

You are correct I purposely have a deliberate tempo to control ball flight. I'm still seeing decent yardages & agree I could benefit from generating a little more power. The down side has always been when I try and get after it, my swing breaks down and the ball flight is all over the place.

My biggest concern is the amount of bend you have in your waist. The knees have a nice flex but I feel you are standing to far away from the ball. I'd like to see you stand taller and step closer to the ball. If this is a long term setup, it will change your lie angles on all you clubs. So your current set may start leaking to the right as they become too flat. Standing taller may give you more leverage and more distance as your AOA will be a bit steeper.

Now I noticed something with you 8 iron swing at the :26 mark. On the down swing your first move is to throw the club out instead of pulling down. This is causing you to be left of the target line just a hair. It is also making you cast the club or release your angles early. You may hit well for that swing but you can hit it better if we get that swing on the proper plan. I know this move because I still fight it to this day. The big difference between us is I open up to reroute and you stay down and through. Well hit balls finish just left even though you feel you are aimed right and bad swings should produce a left to left ball. For the record, this will not play at the Hideaway in early December.

So we need to get you pulling the handle of the club down toward the ball. This will get you down and through and slightly under the ball. I know this is said to be a bad position but if you are leading with the butt of the club and slightly underneath. The hands are firing through and club head is trailing, does that make sense. Google, "swing the handle". The video will help. I do not want you changing the swing just how we get the down swing started.

So stand taller and pull the handle.

My biggest concern is the amount of bend you have in your waist. The knees have a nice flex but I feel you are standing to far away from the ball. I'd like to see you stand taller and step closer to the ball. If this is a long term setup, it will change your lie angles on all you clubs. So your current set may start leaking to the right as they become too flat. Standing taller may give you more leverage and more distance as your AOA will be a bit steeper.

Now I noticed something with you 8 iron swing at the :26 mark. On the down swing your first move is to throw the club out instead of pulling down. This is causing you to be left of the target line just a hair. It is also making you cast the club or release your angles early. You may hit well for that swing but you can hit it better if we get that swing on the proper plan. I know this move because I still fight it to this day. The big difference between us is I open up to reroute and you stay down and through. Well hit balls finish just left even though you feel you are aimed right and bad swings should produce a left to left ball. For the record, this will not play at the Hideaway in early December.

So we need to get you pulling the handle of the club down toward the ball. This will get you down and through and slightly under the ball. I know this is said to be a bad position but if you are leading with the butt of the club and slightly underneath. The hands are firing through and club head is trailing, does that make sense. Google, "swing the handle". The video will help. I do not want you changing the swing just how we get the down swing started.

So stand taller and pull the handle.

This makes perfect sense. In my setup i try to bend from the waist to maintain the angle, but standing taller shouldn't be an issue.

Pulling the handle down is the exact same thing my instructor has mentioned to me so it's a familiar move I can implement without overhauling the full swing.

Thanks a ton and I'll work on this tonight

I place a tee in the butt of the club. I try to make sure this is pointed down or at the ball on the down swing.
This makes perfect sense. In my setup i try to bend from the waist to maintain the angle, but standing taller shouldn't be an issue.

Pulling the handle down is the exact same thing my instructor has mentioned to me so it's a familiar move I can implement without overhauling the full swing.

Thanks a ton and I'll work on this tonight

Freddie would say that Mike needs to achieve a more veritical swing path?

Freddie would say that Mike needs to achieve a more veritical swing path?

I would say Mike should adjust his waist bend and his club path.

Wouldn't his waist bend directly affect his swing path? Less waist bend means he's no longer reaching out to hit the ball? Not trying to argue any point just wondering the affect of the waist bend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddie-

Here is a video with my 6iron. I still think I can be a little more upright, but more concerned with the swing and if it looks better than yesterday. Trying to slot the club better based on your feed back.

https://vimeo.com/144699892

Mike I see what's going on and I wonder if it's something you've told to work on. You take the club back with your hands and wrist. There is very little shoulder rotation until after the club reaches the right hip. Was this a direction from your pro?

It causing an over swing and as a result you have to cast at the top just to be able to pull the handle. Get those shoulders moving sooner and it will shorten your swing and make for a smoother one piece transition into the ball.

Wouldn't his waist bend directly affect his swing path? Less waist bend means he's no longer reaching out to hit the ball? Not trying to argue any point just wondering the affect of the waist bend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His setup is making him reach for the ball at address. Taking some of the bend out will allow the arms to hang under his shoulder and allow for a more natural swing.

Mike I see what's going on and I wonder if it's something you've told to work on. You take the club back with your hands and wrist. There is very little shoulder rotation until after the club reaches the right hip. Was this a direction from your pro?

It causing an over swing and as a result you have to cast at the top just to be able to pull the handle. Get those shoulders moving sooner and it will shorten your swing and make for a smoother one piece transition into the ball.

Thanks Freddie.

Yes early on we worked on "slow and low" with my takeaway to get my tempo under control and to help start the club on plane. My biggest issue has always been getting too long in my backswing and the cast creeps in. To fix this I've had to think "3/4" swing and it gives me a more compact move from the top.

I'll work on this and let you know how it's going. I know I can get away with what I have, but little tweaks and another set of eyes can only help. I truly appreciate your guidance.

Looking good Mike!

Hey Mike, Looks like some hard work has gone into developing that swing. Best of luck in the Grandaddy.

Great looking swing man. I think your tempo is really good. Good Luck in the Grandaddy!

Freddie-

I want to say thank you. I put into work the tips you gave me and they are paying off. I had a great day today ball striking and with my driver. Stood a little more upright and focused on pointing the butt end of the club on the downswing.

I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm headed in the right direction because of your guidance:

Freddie-

I want to say thank you. I put into work the tips you gave me and they are paying off. I had a great day today ball striking and with my driver. Stood a little more upright and focused on pointing the butt end of the club on the downswing.

I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm headed in the right direction because of your guidance:

Don't thank me yet bro, keep working and get that belt!

Back