TaylorMade RSi 2 Irons Review Thread

My intention was to relay the irons marked forged don't feel that way to me but I can see where that wasn't as clear until the summary. I used the forged comparison in the longer irons because that's what I have played for a while and the feel I'm used to.

I didn't think you were, but I just wanted to make sure someone reading it didn't take it that way. As someone coming off forged irons to these as well I understand where you were going with it

Did anyone get to choose their shafts? Trout Bum has the KBS Tour 105s but what did everyone else end up with? TIA

I got the same shafts in mine.

Did anyone get to choose their shafts? Trout Bum has the KBS Tour 105s but what did everyone else end up with? TIA

I have the KBS 105s in Stiff

Off to hit some shots with these before I get on the road for the week.

I'm really liking the KBS tours a lot, they are really a feelers shaft I think meaning that for a guy like me that feels his way around the course these are perfect. It's amazing how easy it is to control these sticks, this morning I was working on trying to turn the ball a bit and found pretty good success with the cut and different flights with it, A high 5 yd or 10 yd cut was beautiful and really after about 15 or 20 balls became predictable and repeatable.

We are still on the mats thanks to more rain yesterday but none the less they feel fine. I'll be playing Friday so I'm pretty anxious to get a good course review on these. My game is in shambles right now and I really want to see how these will help or if they'll help. So far though a miss is a miss with the only difference being high toe shots go farther than a miss with blades, other misses are still misses and feel horrible no matter the club.

I wanted to say how much I like the grips too, they're a touch bigger than my gamers and II really feel a difference in control with these, I've been going gloveless for a few days and feel comfortable doing so with them.

I wanted to say how much I like the grips too, they're a touch bigger than my gamers and II really feel a difference in control with these, I've been going gloveless for a few days and feel comfortable doing so with them.

No slippery feeling?

They look similar to the Ace 3GEL grips and I play gloveless with them with no issues.

Maybe we could focus more on the review and performance of the clubs and not the grip being used on there? It's a thing that gets cut off and replaced by many. Knowing if it's a decent grip etc is important, but it's not as important as your feedback on how they performed for you.

Quick review of Saturday's round:
Course: Sterling Hills GC - Camarillo, CA (71 par, 6,813 yards, 72.9 rating, 133 slope)
Score: 84

I originally wanted to hit the range before the round with the impact tape but I didn't have enough time.
It was a chilli/windy day. It was a good test to keep the ball low without losing too much carry distance.

Long Irons: I definitely struggled a bit with my long irons due to having a stiff back/neck (no warm-up will do that to me) but the ones I struck well kept the ball in play with good amount of carry distance in the wind. Off the toe-hits were just as expected. Felt terrible at impact but the TruSlot did what it's supposed to do. Probably lost about 5-10 yards in those toe hits but overall satisfied with the performance.

Mid Irons: Surprisingly performed really well. I thought that the ball wouldn't travel as far due to the wind and temp but I didn't have to club up at all. In fact, I hit all of my GIRs with my 6,7 and 8 irons.

Short Irons: I didn't get to use my 9 thru PW too much but the holes I did were good. High flights with soft landing. I felt like I can be aggressive going for the pin because I can trust that it'll stop at my target without a roll out. I used the short irons on long bump and runs as well. They are so versatile! I feel like I can shape the ball with ease and used them around the greens.

Conclusion: In the beginning, I didn't expect to shoot in the high 70's/low 80's because I didn't get to warm up and I was dealing with the weather but these irons surprised me again. I feel that as long as I'm putting a good swing, these are A+ in performance. BUT the best part about these are the mishits. I can't even tell you how much confidence I've gained with these irons; hence why I've been playing so well (for me) this past 3 weeks. If the visual effect of TruSlot is weather a placebo or not, it really works in my opinion.

Cbaker

do you like the 15 yd gaps between the irons? How much do you think these irons will help your game and lower your handicap? Did you consider gaming the 3&4 irons?

I got my set out to the simulator for the first time and I have some notes to add to the thread:

The previous distances and iron interactions I will reference are coming from my previous sets of Ping G5's and Mizuno JPX 825 Pro's. I have used both of those sets on this exact simulator, so I am fairly confident that the numbers are accurate that are being compared.

Ok so here are my observations...

Tech - A+: A lot of clubs have come out through the years with some sort of new technology claiming to be longer/straighter/faster...but honestly the tech in these new RSi2's just flat out performs like it advertises. I have never seen such consistent distances with my 5/6, and even better dispersion between my 7/8. I absolutely feel that the face slots and speed slots do exactly what they are supposed to. No way I was hitting every shot today out of the center of the face, but I never saw more than 5 yards difference in distances whenever I hit them.

Long/Mid Irons - A+: The long/mid irons of the RSi2 (5-7) are absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough good things about them. My distances were 10-15 yards on average longer than what I am used to, and even with that, had absolutely no loss of feel at all. For example, the 5 iron distances I was seeing were averaging around 200-205, while I normally would expect 185-190 out of that club in the past. Even with the added distances, I was still seeing a consistent 15 yard gapping between the 5-6-7. They also launch pretty well for being longer irons, especially the 5 and 6. I hit high in general, but these irons really do allow you to hit full distances into the green and land softly. I can't rate these anything other than an A+. Best 5/6/7 irons I have ever hit.

Short Irons - A: The short irons simply do what they are supposed to do. I wasn't seeing much distance gains in these as Wonton and others have already touched on, but that is 100% ok with me, and honestly it's probably better. I hit my 8 iron around 150-155 and I might have been getting about 5 extra yards for 155-160. 9 was pretty similar to what I was used to already, about 140-145 for me. I didn't really see much if any gains with the 9 and PW, which is interesting considering they are the only clubs without either of the face or speed slots.

Gapping - A: One thing I have to wonder about with these irons sets that add a bunch of distance for you, is how it effects the gapping in the set. My typical gaps I am used to are 15 yards between my 5-6-7, and then 10 yards between my 7-PW. Here is a typical chart of the gaps I was used to, and what I was seeing now:

Old Sets
5: 190
6: 175
7: 160
8: 150
9: 140
PW: 130

RSi2
5: 205
6: 190
7: 175
8: 160
9: 145
PW: 130

As you can see, the extra distance gains do effect gapping, but it's not necessarily negative, as it stays very consistent 15 yards down instead of becoming 10 yards once I got to 7/8 before. Yes, they made me think a little bit more between distances, but these were not hard to navigate with these clubs at all.

Feel/Sound - A: Feel was solid with these. Sound was not as soft and muted as the Mizuno's I had, but not quite as clicky or loud as the Pings. Pretty moderate sound and it wasn't a negative or positive per say. Between the sound and vibration, I could tell pretty easily how the shot was coming off, and pure shots felt very nice.

Overall - A+: I can't say enough about these. Not only did they provide excellent distance which helped me out tremendously towards the top, they were extremely consistent and they provided immediate confidence every time I selected a club. Nothing is better in an iron set than knowing you can knock about 5-8 yards off a club confidently when you're sitting in a gap between clubs.

This past Saturday, I played my first round with the TaylorMade RSi 2 irons. The day before, I hit 2 small buckets on the range with just the RSi 2 7-iron.

Aesthetically

The irons are very pleasing to look at, though a little larger and with a thicker top-line and sole than my Callaway X-Forged irons. At address, the irons set up quite comfortably for me, and I was not at all distracted by the size or finish. The face slots are not noticeable at all. What was noticeable were the tungsten inserts in the toe of the long irons. They looked kind of cool, and performance wise, I hit the 4-iron 3 times Saturday and really liked how the shots came off.

Shot-making

I was very surprised at the performance of these irons. I’m not sure if TaylorMade was trying to design a true “all-player” iron, but this would be an accurate description of the RSi 2’s. I was expecting the irons to be very easy to hit, and they were. But I was also expecting the ball to launch off the face as it does with the SpeedBlades and RBZ irons my friends play, and it does not. Instead, I was able to flight the irons very well, and I was also able to play either a fade or draw quite easily. My shots performed as well as if they had been struck with my Callaway’s EXCEPT the carry distances were about 5% less. Again, I was not expecting this – I would never play the SpeedBlades or RBZ iron because I cannot shape shots, flight shots, or control the distances the way I would like.

Feel

This is the main drawback to the RSi 2 irons for me. I hit many well struck shots, but they never FELT solid. The strike felt “tinny” and unsubstantial; in fact, the feel was quite disagreeable to me.

Initial Thoughts

It’s too early in the process to make any definitive conclusions. At this point, I will say that I love the way the irons perform; but I am not too thrilled with the way that they feel.

I should play my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round with them this Friday :)

Just to throw some comparable numbers of the RSi 2 and the RocketBladez Tour (my last set)

(Carry distance - give or take)
3 Iron:
RSi 2 - 220
RBladez Tour - NA

4 Iron:
RSi 2 - 205
RBladez Tour - 195

5 Iron:
RSi 2 - 195
RBladez Tour - 185

6Iron:
RSi 2 - 180
RBladez Tour - 175

7 Iron:
RSi 2 - 170
RBladez Tour - 165

8 Iron:
RSi 2 - 155
RBladez Tour - 150

9 Iron:
RSi 2 - 145
RBladez Tour - 140

PW:
RSi 2 - 130
RBladez Tour - 130

Maybe we could focus more on the review and performance of the clubs and not the grip being used on there? It's a thing that gets cut off and replaced by many. Knowing if it's a decent grip etc is important, but it's not as important as your feedback on how they performed for you.

Unfortunately for me Mike the grip plays a large role in the overall effect of the club, without a good one a lot of variables come in to play for me. They performed fine as did the sticks.

So far after 2 sessions with the RSI 2's I really like the long and mid irons, they have been getting to most attention from me on the range and it's pretty effortless to get the ball in the air with them. The wider soles seem to just sweep off the mats, no bounce, no noticeable drag, and no harsh pounding at all. I know the shafts play a role but I really like feel.

Sound plays a pretty large role as well and this morning I had no tunes on and was pretty surprised that they pretty much sounded like what I've been hitting, they may be a little louder but that dull thud was there and there was no ringing or weird sounding impact.

Last edited:
Cbaker

do you like the 15 yd gaps between the irons? How much do you think these irons will help your game and lower your handicap? Did you consider gaming the 3&4 irons?

I was already used to 15 yard gaps at the top end of my previous iron sets, so no change there. But moving from 10 to 15 yard gaps towards the bottom didn't feel challenging with these at all. They really do inspire confidence right away, and I absolutely feel that if I need to knock 5-10 yards off a club, or even swing a little harder for 5 extra yards, they definitely feel like they will do what I want.

As for helping my game and lowering my handicap, I hope these can help a decent amount. The addition of 10-15 yards per club at the top end of the irons will help out tremendously, because I tended to lose a bit of consistency and accuracy up towards 200-180. Knowing I can get 200 with my 5 now and being able to hit 6's and 7's between 190-170 is huge for me and should help me a lot. The speed slot on the bottom and the face slots really do help, and that should greatly increase my consistency. Will they alone drop my handicap? Probably not, but they should definitely help.

Have I considered gaming the 3 and 4? In short...absolutely. I love 4 irons and was reluctant in not getting one to begin with with this set, plus knowing the distance I can get out of the 5, I will at some point get the 4 as well. Not sure when it will happen, but more than likely by mid summer at the latest I will have the 4. As for the 3...will I get one? I don't know. From what the others are saying it's probably one of the easiest set 3 irons that has come out in a while, but I am way too much in love with my 3 hybrid right now that I just don't think it has a spot in the bag. I use my 3 hybrid for so much that not having it would probably hurt me.

Hope that helps!

It's going to be in the 80's here today, I'm going out to put these on some turf!

I had a turf session today and found some mixed results.

I started with the pw and tried to hit a 114 yd target on the range in to a really strong headwind, I kept flying it and the wind didn't seem to effect it at all, I was really impressed honestly it was effortless. The other thing I noticed was the turf interaction, the divots were much shallower than with my blades, I did hit a few thin shots but once I got adjusted to it they were fine.

7 Iron was really nice, I was hitting to a flag 147 yds out in to a really strong wind and the ball was landing on the green and releasing a few feet, the ball was flying higher than I'm used to but I felt really comfortable with it, I love the high cut I get with these.

5 Iron, here's where it got interesting. When hit on the screws it's awesome, when it's not it reminded me of the SLDR, pretty bad feeling and not so pleasant results lol, a miss with these is no different than a gamers set, the only forgiving shot is off the toe. The lower the iron number the more difficult to hit as you would expect with a players set but the on center shots were heroic, high and soft landing with a really defined and piercing flight, I did say Wow a few times lol.

3 Iron, I really like this club a lot but again it's wonderful when hit on the screws and miserable when not. I think they are close to a club longer than my blades but better performing, the flight was more powerful and piercing and a higher softer ball was the norm. Turf interaction was fine after a few shots, I still hit them a little low on the face and I think it was because of the wider sole and getting used to it will take time.

The AW and I had a really good workout today and I'll talk about that in a few.

The sound today was noticeable, I taped 2 swings with the RSI and 2 with the MP 68 and you can hear the RSI is much crisper than the 68. It wasn't a distraction by any means.

The AW was awesome off the turf, I put it to work on the range and around a chipping green and after a few heavy shots we kind of bonded. I hit shots from various locations and distances and even though the ball rolls out more than my 54 it's something I can get used to over time, here's a few pics from around the green.

AW next to a ball

AW out of the rough

Results off the collar

The Bag

AW Back

I really like the idea of these and I want to love them because of the looks and the results when hit on the screws. I think they qualify as players irons and a miss is just a punishing and harsh feeling as my blades, fat shots are short and thin shots are low and right lol. What keeps me coming back? the challenge of nailing these, and figuring them out from top to bottom.

I'm playing my favorite course this weekend at The Heritage Club with my son so that will be the ultimate test, that course has some gnarly teeth.

I started with the pw and tried to hit a 114 yd target on the range in to a really strong headwind, I kept flying it and the wind didn't seem to effect it at all, I was really impressed honestly it was effortless. The other thing I noticed was the turf interaction, the divots were much shallower than with my blades, I did hit a few thin shots but once I got adjusted to it they were fine.

7 Iron was really nice, I was hitting to a flag 147 yds out in to a really strong wind and the ball was landing on the green and releasing a few feet, the ball was flying higher than I'm used to but I felt really comfortable with it, I love the high cut I get with these.

5 Iron, here's where it got interesting. When hit on the screws it's awesome, when it's not it reminded me of the SLDR, pretty bad feeling and not so pleasant results lol, a miss with these is no different than a gamers set, the only forgiving shot is off the toe. The lower the iron number the more difficult to hit as you would expect with a players set but the on center shots were heroic, high and soft landing with a really defined and piercing flight, I did say Wow a few times lol.

3 Iron, I really like this club a lot but again it's wonderful when hit on the screws and miserable when not. I think they are close to a club longer than my blades but better performing, the flight was more powerful and piercing and a higher softer ball was the norm. Turf interaction was fine after a few shots, I still hit them a little low on the face and I think it was because of the wider sole and getting used to it will take time.

The sound today was noticeable, I taped 2 swings with the RSI and 2 with the MP 68 and you can hear the RSI is much crisper than the 68. It wasn't a distraction by any means.

The AW was awesome off the turf, I put it to work on the range and around a chipping green and after a few heavy shots we kind of bonded. I hit shots from various locations and distances and even though the ball rolls out more than my 54 it's something I can get used to over time, here's a few pics from around the green.

AW next to a ball

AW out of the rough

Results off the collar

The Bag

AW Back

I really like the idea of these and I want to love them because of the looks and the results when hit on the screws. I think they qualify as players irons and a miss is just a punishing and harsh feeling as my blades, fat shots are short and thin shots are low and right lol. What keeps me coming back? the challenge of nailing these, and figuring them out from top to bottom.

I'm playing my favorite course this weekend at The Heritage Club with my son so that will be the ultimate test, that course has some gnarly teeth.

Great pictures and thoughts Trouter. I was surprised how little difference there was in the sound between the RSi2 and the blade. There is a difference, but it's not much. Seems like you're getting along well with these. How would you compare the RSi2's to the Bio Cell+'s? They gotta be more similar to each other than the blades and the RSi2's no?

Thanks dude. The RSI's and the Bio Cells are night and day, with the TM's a 5 iron is predictable whether hit or missed where with the Bio's one day it would go 200yds the next 175, and the next 225, it drove me absolutely crazy. Even if these have a hot spot somewhere I haven't found it after a hundred balls or so with the 5 iron.

You could tell how windy it was from the video. Love the great feedback!

Thanks dude. The RSI's and the Bio Cells are night and day, with the TM's a 5 iron is predictable whether hit or missed where with the Bio's one day it would go 200yds the next 175, and the next 225, it drove me absolutely crazy. Even if these have a hot spot somewhere I haven't found it after a hundred balls or so with the 5 iron.

I haven't noticed any hotspots with mine, but I did notice that I just hit each club a little bit further than I did the SLDR irons.

I haven't noticed any hotspots with mine, but I did notice that I just hit each club a little bit further than I did the SLDR irons.

What do you like best about them Mike?

What do you like best about them Mike?

I think the stock shaft pairs really well with it and gives the user both a high launching flight that still penetrates through the wind. The slightly lighter shaft is nice yet still more than controllable at any speed I've seen.

They cut through the turf very well, you just have to trust it in damp conditions. Chunking it and being afraid to hit through it are all user error, like in almost all cases. It's a very interesting and solid iron offering.

I just finished up my first round with these irons and the distance is more than I had noticed on the range session. I had a 2x 150+ 9Irons and a 175yd 7Iron. Both a good 10yds further then I was expecting. I am going to try and hit one club less the next time I play to see if there really is a full club difference throughout the bag. All of the clubs provide more than adequate forgiveness for me. My opinion on the feel of these clubs hasn't change but I would have to say that is the only negative IMHO.

Back