How old were you....

TheDoctor

One of the UK Hackers
Reaction score
Handicap
5.3 (WHS)
....when you first started playing golf, and what got you into the game?

For me, I first picked up a club when I was about 4 or 5 that was a cut down club from one of my dads that had snapped when he hit a tree root. I swung that club in the garden and at the range with my dad and after a few years my parents bought me a cheap kids set that I learnt to play with

I had some lessons at a summer club and my dad then took me out to a course where I really learnt how to play and manage my way around a course. I never had an official handicap but got down to shooting low 80s from the junior tees before my dad had to give the game up due to health issues

It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I started playing again with colleagues from work and it has just gone from there really, with getting an official handicap in the last couple of years with the intention of trying to get back to the level I was able to play as when I was younger

I started playing when I was around the age of 13. My Aunts and Uncles and Grandfather all played and I wanted to play too. I got a set of clubs for my 13th birthday. I have played off and on for the last 20 years. (dang that seems like a long time) I'm hoping to get my son a set of clubs soon and start him early and hopefully he will enjoy the game too and we can have a lot of father-son time on the course.

My dad got me into the game. Have a picture of me swinging a cut down driver at age 4. I am wearing a football helmet in the picture. Guess I was going with a bit of hybrid golf wear.

About 10 years old. Mario Golf 64 got me into it hahahahahaa

Didn't start taking it anywhere approaching seriously until mid college though.

I was 23 and a navy shipmate of mine got me to play on a night tournament for our duty station and while prepping for it I got hooked. What was going to probably be a one time thing after fending off requests from guys I worked with to play for a couple years turned into wanting to play all the time.

I think it is far to say I "first" started golfing twice.

10 - my dad signed me up for a group lesson. Stopped playing at about age 17.

51 - my wife signed me up for a free lesson during a January vacation to HI. Something just clicked, and I'm hooked.

I started when I was about 10 as I slowly began my burnout on baseball. I got my first hole-in-one after 6 months and I have been addicted to searching for another one ever since.

Started golf when I was 9 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mother carried me on her back right after I was born while she golfed. As kids, my brother and I were only allowed on the course after we had a summer of lessons and lots of range time. My first lesson was around 1970 or 71 at 10 or 11 years old. Before that I just hacked around in the yard at home.

I still remember the first time my dad took me on the course to play. I was only allowed double bogey on any hole then you picked up and moved on. I use to hit a lot of approach shots back then from his drive location and then putt out.

I came from a big golfing, lake, boating and fishing family. Now so many are gone, but the memories last forever!

I was 13 and I lived right off of a public golf course in Philadelphia. I was ball hawking a creek (pronounced crick), mostly looking for orange balls, because that was cool then. Ended up finding an old 3 wood and 6 iron that someone had in their trash and would knock around the balls I found at dusk when the course emptied out.

Eventually got a cheap set and in the summer would caddy at a nearby country club in the morning and early afternoon and play the muni in the early evening.

23. My wife and her family played. They got me into the game. I was a big time hothead because I couldn't figure out why it was so hard.

....when you first started playing golf, and what got you into the game?
I was 41. Went on vacation with a bunch of friends and the guys had two days of golf planned. Not wanting to get stuck with the ladies shopping or what have you, I pulled out a set of clubs I had bought back in the mid-90s but never used, and went out with them. Shot 140 the first day, 141 the next. From there I was hooked.

When I started dating my now fiance 4 years ago her Dad asked me if I golfed. Of course I said yes even though I never really had played. I think the first year we dated I played with him a couple times. The next season I decided I wanted to play more and now I'm hooked. I play as much as I can now and her Dad and I probably play around 20 times a year.

Started playing when I was 13 years old - played in an outing in Maggie Valley, North Carolina for my Aunt/Uncles 40th wedding anniversary....

Played with womens clubs and by the end of the round I was hitting some decent shots - was instantly hooked!

I played a little when i was around 6 or so but didn't get much out of it. Really started taking it seriously just a few years ago actually

I was about 8, My dad was the reason I got into golf. Always loved playing a round of golf with him, some of my favorite childhood memories. I quit golfing around 14 and then picked it back up a few years ago and still some of the most enjoyable rounds are with my dad just getting to relax and talk with him as we play.

8. My Dad wanted me and my brother to learn. First instructor was the same instructor that taught Gene Littler as a kid. In fact, a lot of young San Diego golfers spent time with him.

My first round was when I was in high school with my father and two of my uncles--I'm guessing I was around 16. But I didn't play again until my junior/senior year of college when I came to the realization that college baseball was as far as I was going. And then I really started to play when I joined a work league after graduation. So I'll go with 23...final answer.

I was 16 when I first started. Threw out my shoulder playing baseball and took a summer job at a golf course. The rest is history.

Not until I was 18. After high school I was going to a jr college in Southern Cal and took a golf class and would play with my roomates (that had learned when they were kids) at the few munis we could afford and especially at a tiny 9 hole course that was built in a mobile home park in Huntington Beach. Good times!

I was 8 when my dad first got me into it. 25 years later and I still hit the ball the same distance

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I was around 5 when I first started playing but more like 11 or 12 when I first started taking it seriously. My Great Grandfather, Grandfather and Dad all played and I've played rounds when each of them. Though my Great Grandfather is passed, and now my Grandfather doesn't play anymore, since he can't follow the ball flight (sight). Dad, I'm hoping takes the game back up again when he retires in a couple of years!

I was 18. Came to college and found out for baseball I was going to be a pitcher only. Got my first set for Christmas and the rest was history. 7 years later it still frustrates the heck out of me at times.

I don't remember playing till middle school... I lost interested after 9 holes pretty much through college. I started trying to get better when I quit playing other sports competitively. Now....I am a full blown junkie.

14. My best friend started playing so my grandpa took me out to teach me a bit. Been hooked ever since.

Back