Short chip: club selection/technique

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
You have an upcoming chip that has a little too much grass to putt. What is your thought process, and what club do you select.

I usually pull out a pw or 9 and give it a putting stroke, but I'd like to give a hybrid a try.

Anyone pull out the hybrid or metal wood?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

52* and a putting stroke. It's the one I practice most with so I'm most comfortable with it.

54* with a bit of the toe down, nice smooth motion.

8, PW, or 52, depending on the length, with a putting stroke, but normal grip.

9i or pw normally. I look for the club that will land about 1/3 of the way and roll out the rest. This has improved my short game consistency a lot

8i with feet together and ball inline with back foot, putting stoke

54 or 58* wedge depending on the distance and bump and run it. deloft by giving it a bit of a forward press and putting the ball at my back foot, pick a spot as soon onto the green as I can and let it run to the hole.

Thick grass, 58° with a bunker swing. Short grass/hard pan 54° with more of a bump and run.

You have an upcoming chip that has a little too much grass to putt. What is your thought process, and what club do you select.

I usually pull out a pw or 9 and give it a putting stroke, but I'd like to give a hybrid a try.

I apply the rule of 12. Since I've started doing this, I've gotten much closer to the hole than previously.

If I have only a couple of feet to clear and a couple of feet to roll, I'm most likely opening up the club face and flopping it with my 58*. It's a shot I've been working on, and if I commit to it, it has been producing good results for me as of late.

I apply the rule of 12. Since I've started doing this, I've gotten much closer to the hole than previously.

what's the rule of 12?

Depends on how far it is to the hole and whether it's uphill or down. Downhill or short distance, I'm taking a 54 or 58 and hitting a regular chip - if it's really short or really downhill, I'll open the face up. Long and uphill, I'll take PW and lean the shaft forward, and hit a regular chip, trying to get it to run like a putt.

I use a hybrid a lot, but only from the fringe if it a super long lag, and I use my putter grip. 4 hybrid most of the time. Gives it a little pop, but not much and a lot of rollout.

also... does anyone play the fairway metal (or hybrid) chip?

A friend of mine used to use a 3w on long chips quite frequently. He played a couple rounds in Scotland and his caddy suggested it to him there and he stuck with it. I've never tried it, but his success with it has tempted me several times.

Give 'em hell!

If I just have 18" or less of low grass to get over but too rough to putt, I'll putt with my hybrid. It takes a bit of practice, but I've found it to be quite effective. The ball comes out pretty hot with mine, so I have to give it much less of a stroke than a putter, but it always pops the ball up just enough to get over the slightly taller/rougher stuff and rolling on the fringe.

I use a hybrid a lot, but only from the fringe if it a super long lag, and I use my putter grip. 4 hybrid most of the time. Gives it a little pop, but not much and a lot of rollout.

are you doing that toe down with your putting stroke? Does it feel similar to the length you would normally putt?

My 50* Gap wedge and a putt style stroke. I have tried the woods and hybrid approach but I am more comfortable and consistent with my GW style shot.

my six iron is my go to chip shot when I can not putt. I can be deadly with the 6! play it off the inside of my back foot with a putting type stoke.

I often use my 4 wood around the greens with a putting grip and stance.

I often use my 4 wood around the greens with a putting grip and stance.
Are you playing it toe down, or laying flat?

Depends on how much green there is to work with. With a lot of green to work with, I'll go as high as a 6 iron to bump it over the fringe and get it rolling on the green. If there isn't a lot of green to work with, I'll use my lob wedge.

Predominately I'm opening and closing my 57 and my A wedge for all the shots. I used to do a lot of hybrid putts with great success but that depends on the ball location and the condition of the fairway in front of the greens. After watching the video duece posted. I guess I have more work to do.

Rule of 12, then adjust up/down a club based on slope.

Back