Stock Market & Retirement Planning

That is why I have used Vanguard for the past 20 years. They have relatively cheap mutual fund fees.
No fees on their ETF's and fairly low stock trades.

That is why I have used Vanguard for the past 20 years. They have relatively cheap mutual fund fees.
No fees on their ETF's and fairly low stock trades.

"Relatively" haha. Is anybody cheaper than vanguard? I recall one that was .07 at one point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Parsaver said funds are expensive so I wasn't really sure who he had looked at.
I have always used Vanguard. And I haven't regretted that choice yet.
They are even cheaper once you have enough invested to get Admiral shares.

Exactly. Parsaver said funds are expensive so I wasn't really sure who he had looked at.
I have always used Vanguard. And I haven't regretted that choice yet.
They are even cheaper once you have enough invested to get Admiral shares.

Like those Admiral shares for the energy fund you mentioned yesterday. Although, they're only .04% cheaper than the Investor shares.

If a stock analyst was good wouldn't he be on his yacht somewhere in the Caribbean?

This is a very common thought. I actually thought the same thing, until I spent several years on the trade floor in one of the biggest asset management firms on earth (I'm still in the industry, just in a different capacity). Most senior-level portfolio managers - not to be confused with the commission-driven retail stockbrokers - are incredibly mentally-driven people. They eat, drink, and dream this stuff. It is their passion. These people don't simply retire after a couple years of 7-8 figure annual comp...they can't. It's not in their DNA. Some try, and are back after a year because they're mentally bored. At some point, it becomes far less about the money and more about the competitive academia.

That said, you have a point about expenses, which is why one must be selective - and another reason why index / smart-beta funds are increasing in popularity these days.

its too quiet in here... Crash coming?

its too quiet in here... Crash coming?

No crash coming. I see a 10%+ upside from here in the next 9 months as long as ISIL doesn't succeed with any attacks on US soil. I think today there was a flight to the safety of US equities.

Just sitting and watching GMCR. Its a stock I have been watching for a while as I like where their future is headed. If it goes any lower, I am jumping.

Today I am really glad I made this jump. GMCR purchased and shares at 90 now. Purchased at 60.

I find it humorously tragic how some think simply contributing into an IRA or 401k is a set it and forget it proposition....

I try to stay pretty on top of it, but feel I need to do better...

I find it humorously tragic how some think simply contributing into an IRA or 401k is a set it and forget it proposition....

I try to stay pretty on top of it, but feel I need to do better...

Most of my retirement is in index funds, so outside of keeping it balanced, there's not a whole lot of movement to do. But still some work.

Most of my retirement is in index funds, so outside of keeping it balanced, there's not a whole lot of movement to do. But still some work.
At my age, that's the best plan for me too.

Today I am really glad I made this jump. GMCR purchased and shares at 90 now. Purchased at 60.

NICE! I got in at 70. The buyout at 92 is solid. I wonder if anything will happen to push that higher?

Have any of y'all invested in the currency of a specific country before? I'm thinking to invest in Argentina due to their recent devaluation and election of a conservative government.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Have any of y'all invested in the currency of a specific country before? I'm thinking to invest in Argentina due to their recent devaluation and election of a conservative government.

I traded the Forex for about 3 years. That was 7-8 years ago and what a roller coaster. While it was fun, I wouldn't go through all that again.

Had a good friend lose over $3M when it was all said and done

Yes. However, emerging market currencies such as the ARS are extremely illiquid (relative to G10 pairs such as EUR, CAD, JPY, etc) and pricing reflects this accordingly...assuming your FX platform can even trade it. If you want to do this, it would probably be better to actually convert USD cash to ARS and stash it for awhile - the bank will take its cut for this, probably well beyond spot (ie. it's not going to be cheap). Forex markets move really quick, and being easily accessible on an electronic platform, you start trading in and out on emotion and get destroyed on the spread.

There are other ways to invest in Argentina (including country-specific ETFs, such as ARGT), but I'd use caution on these as well. Fees can be high (ARGT has an expense ratio of 0.74%), and they can be illiquid and also subject to risks borne by the firm offering them.

There's a reason why return can be massive in these types of markets. It's because the risk is real, and present. Emerging markets have been crushed this year. Tread carefully, it's a volatile, and sometimes fun, place to be. :)

I think I'm going to sit this one out. I will say that when I posted my thought a few days ago was the perfect time to buy. The exchange rate has gone back down to 13:1 AR$:U$D

After another bad day in China, expect there to be big down again here.
Expecting more triple digit losses on the DOW and its going to get really ugly.

There are a lot of reasons for this, but this is not the place for them.

Stock market is supposed to usually have the January effect. Uh oh... What does this bode for 2016?

Stock market is supposed to usually have the January effect. Uh oh... What does this bode for 2016?

Well many would say the economy is in the complete crapper, and has been for a while now, so this is a bit expected...Im not one of those (although I believe it), this is just awful. People already have less disposable income, savings and retirement than previously. Its only going to get worse over the next 4 years unless something changes.

After another bad day in China, expect there to be big down again here.
Expecting more triple digit losses on the DOW and its going to get really ugly.

There are a lot of reasons for this, but this is not the place for them.

I agree this is not the place to discuss the reasons, but wonder how crashing 401K's affect golf equipment purchasing decisions both personal and business (like upcoming PGA Show).

Well many would say the economy is in the complete crapper, and has been for a while now, so this is a bit expected...Im not one of those (although I believe it), this is just awful. People already have less disposable income, savings and retirement than previously. Its only going to get worse over the next 4 years unless something changes.
Sadly I don't think things will be changing anytime soon. We seem to learn a little bit and then take another two steps back.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree this is not the place to discuss the reasons, but wonder how crashing 401K's affect golf equipment purchasing decisions both personal and business (like upcoming PGA Show).

For the last 4 years I have been saying it. For all of the talk about golf being down, nobody wants to look at the real reason. They call it the Tiger effect, and there is some truth to that, but when TW was coming up and playing well, people had disposable income. Nobody wants to look at it logically and they look at feigning interest or other reasons and the real reason is, people dont have the cash. Higher taxes, less growth, higher health costs and more. All of that leaves less money available for all things such as golf, investing, etc.

Sadly I don't think things will be changing anytime soon. We seem to learn a little bit and then take another two steps back.

Nailed it.

Luckily I'm young enough to do this, but I'll take this as a buying opportunity and ride it out. Hopefully we don't get to that point again, but when the market was < 10K, I upped my retirement contributions at work. If we keep going down, I'll probably do the same.

Luckily I'm young enough to do this, but I'll take this as a buying opportunity and ride it out. Hopefully we don't get to that point again, but when the market was < 10K, I upped my retirement contributions at work. If we keep going down, I'll probably do the same.
I do the same when the market is low and cut back pretty hard when it gets high. What I can say is pay attention to trends all the time even though we are young trends in the stock market tend to repeat themselves even though world dynamics change drastically. It will happen when we are older as well just need to be prepared for it and for me personally I try and plan that my salary may not always be there to fall back on.

Yes sir. I mean seeing AAPL will go below $100 today most likely should have a major target. As well as stocks that pay large dividends. That is all I am buying up right now, things like AT&T, etc.

Back