Scramble tomorrow, can only pick three clubs out of my bag.

JustinWoodie

Reaction score
Handicap
I am playing in a scramble tomorrow with a twist. Players can only pick three clubs out of their bag and bring their putter as well. Team members cannot share clubs. The course is pretty short, but two of my team members aren't very good. Have you ever played a tourney like this? Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to proceed? I'm thinking I will take my hybrid, a 9 iron, and my 60* wedge as they are some of my strongest clubs. I don't want to pull the driver because the course is pretty short and it is only necessary to hit on 3-4 holes. Thanks!

Haven't played in a tourney like that but I would go 3 hybrid, 8i, and 54* wedge.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

hybrid, iron, wedge.

Look at the par 3 yardages and hopefully your iron will be a yardage that can get on the green on at least 2 of them. Also will depend on where you think the hybrid will leave you on the par 4's.

Hybrid will depend on the length of the par 4's and maybe the longer par 3's.

Great answers, thanks. Sounds like we are thinking similarly. The par 3's are all around ~150 yds so I think I can hit greens with my 9 iron. The par 4's are pretty short and I can get my hybrid out there about 220 yds on a good strike. Should be fun to see how it all works out!

4 or 5 wood, 7 iron, 54* wedge. I am much stronger with fairway woods than hybrids. If you are more comfortable with hybrids, substitute that instead.

I'm also, 4 or 5 wood, 7 iron, 52* wedge.

Jack

My 18* hybrid, 8 iron and the 52* wedge.

Driver, 4h, 50*

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

3w, 8 iron and 58*

Hybrid 8 56

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good luck. a scramble is when all you guys hit, and you choose the best ball from all three, and all of you hit from that ball position, and so on. it's also called best-ball, for evident reasons.

in a scramble, when you're with two other guys who aren't so good, you'll have to figure out first where they're good at. i'm figuring that they can hit all shots, but not so well. for the long game, you can put yourself in the middle. if the first guy finds the fairway, then you can opt to bomb your shot. for that you may need the longest hybrid you have, or a 3W. for the short game, you should always hit last, so that the shots of the other guys can give you an indication of what to do. the idea here is that if one of the guys are already safe on the fairway or green, it's up to you now to try the riskier but more potentially rewarding shot. scrambles are usually birdie-fests, so anything less than a birdie won't matter much, so the objective is to make birdie on all holes. think about it as making birdie in 3 tries, in your best ball position.

assets in a scramble are long bombers, and lucky putters and chippers. if someone is safe already on the fairway or green, then these guys can go in and try their stuff. it's usually wise to get one ball safe on first, then you can try the longer and more spectacular shots. if the fancy shots don't turn out well, you can default back to the safe ball.

you'll need to talk a little more than usual with your partners on strategy compared to a stroke-play event. it's fun if played properly. a lot more fun than stroke play. good luck.

Well said @theoverswinger. I think you have the scramble format figured out. I just have never played one where you can only take a few clubs.

hybrid, six iron, pitching wedge

Well said @theoverswinger. I think you have the scramble format figured out. I just have never played one where you can only take a few clubs.

glad to help. for me, playing a scramble is a hoot, especially among friends. bring the clubs that either play safest or longest. good luck.

for me, that would be 3W, 7 iron, 54 Wedge.

Like someone said, make sure and look at par 3 distances and pick an iron that you can hit them all with (so if they varied from 180 - 130 I would take a club I could hit the 180 with but also half or 3/4 swing into the rest). 2nd club is a wedge. 3rd club would be what you would hit the most off the tee.

I've done this before. You would be surprised how good the scores are. Sometimes it really simplifies things for people when they have less choices.

I would do the same as many others suggested; 2/3 hybrid, 8 iron, 56*

Haven't played in a tourney like that but I would go 3 hybrid, 8i, and 54* wedge.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I have never done this, but this ^^^^^^ is a good choice I'd say.

hybo, 8i and 56. funny how many of us are saying this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hybrid, 6 iron, 60* for me. We did this tourney during an Iowa meet up once. Lots of fun and @mcrock putts great with the back of an iron.

2 hybrid, 6 iron, 60* for me. We did this tourney during an Iowa meet up once. Lots of fun and @mcrock putts great with the back of an iron.
I sure do. I should just bench my putter.

~Rock

Back