Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone upgraded their DirecTV to 4K yet? if so what are your thoughts on it? The package difference for me would be about $8.00 per month to get the 4K signal which isn't much, but there doesn't really seem to be much programming being broadcast in 4K at this point. The thing that has me so very tempted is that the Masters is going to be broadcast in 4K and just the thought of seeing that incredible property in such clarity is very tempting.

Anyone upgraded?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Giving this another bump.

I don't currently own a 4K tv, so no. Actually had the DirecTV guy come out on Tuesday due to some pixilation in my signal that I couldn't trouble shoot. Come to find out, my current cabling that's running from the satellite to my receiver....not to their code. So, I can't even get a good proper/consistent 1080 HD signal. He didn't have time to swap out the cable, so he left me a number of feet of cable for me to do myself. At least I didn't have to pay for the service visit this time.

Soooooo, as much as I'd LOVE to get the 4K programing, I need to see if there is a better cable that I can run to even HANDLE that for future purposes.

To answer your question, for an extra $8 a month and basically NO current 4K programing. I'd call and ask if you can try it free for 3 months, like they are ALWAYS trying to push the upgraded packages and movie channels.

I don't currently own a 4K tv, so no. Actually had the DirecTV guy come out on Tuesday due to some pixilation in my signal that I couldn't trouble shoot. Come to find out, my current cabling that's running from the satellite to my receiver....not to their code. So, I can't even get a good proper/consistent 1080 HD signal. He didn't have time to swap out the cable, so he left me a number of feet of cable for me to do myself. At least I didn't have to pay for the service visit this time.

Soooooo, as much as I'd LOVE to get the 4K programing, I need to see if there is a better cable that I can run to even HANDLE that for future purposes.

To answer your question, for an extra $8 a month and basically NO current 4K programing. I'd call and ask if you can try it free for 3 months, like they are ALWAYS trying to push the upgraded packages and movie channels.

That is a good idea to ask for the free months. I was told by an installer a couple of months ago that the 4K coverage should start kicking in this Spring, but I don't see much evidence of it happening.

I've had direct TV for 2 years and have never even heard of the 4k thing until now I just saw a masters commercial for it. That tells me there isn't a lot of channels for it and it will be basically for sports events

Anyone gone 4K yet? I just got a new 4K tv and tryin to figure out if changing the Directv is worth it for the few channels they have.

So I just called DirecTV about this the other day. The setup is slightly different here in Hawaii, and based on what I was told my main Genie is 4K compatible, but the converter box needs to be upgraded. That will cost me $99, which I'm not very happy about. Based on the channel guide, there are only 4 channels that are 4K anyway so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble.

I think we get three channels, and one is PPV.
One of the others is random shows (think NatGeo, Discovery, Documentaries, etc) and the third is mostly concerts, fights, soccer(blech), and is usually only on air during prime time. Kind of disapponted.

There's a ton of 4K rental offerings for movies and stuff, but they're like $8 for 24 or something.

So I just called DirecTV about this the other day. The setup is slightly different here in Hawaii, and based on what I was told my main Genie is 4K compatible, but the converter box needs to be upgraded. That will cost me $99, which I'm not very happy about. Based on the channel guide, there are only 4 channels that are 4K anyway so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the trouble.

Not worth it IMO. Not enough variety.

Not worth it IMO. Not enough variety.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I think I'd be better off spending $99 on a Roku Ultra!

Yeah, there still isn't a lot of free content. They do show some cool nature type shows and some concerts as well as the occasional live event. A few times a season they show the PGA Tour in 4k and that is nice. Supposedly there is more content coming this year.

Back