My 2010 Golf Goal

1900 - 2100, wow that's pretty low. Like you, I really wanted the G15 to work out, but the R9 was simply better for me. So did you pull the trigger on the Super Tri?

Yeah, that spin rate was killing my drives. The ball would just fall out of the sky.

I did end up purchasing the Super Tri. This club increased my spin rate to about 2200-2500, which is ideal for my swing speed.

Hit the course for a mid-afternoon round. First round playing by myself this year and was able to take my time and focus on my game. It was a terrific round. I shot an 80 (I did take a breakfast ball on the first tee though after I hit a dribbler about 75 yards and just barely past the short tees).

* 8 of 14 fairways
* 8 GIRs
* 31 putts

My ball striking was not the best, but my short game held up pretty well. The few hours on the practice chipping/pitching holes the other day did me well. The new driver was great. I added a considerable amount of distance and I feel like I am just as accurate.

Negative: I missed a 3 foot putt for 79 on the final hole. I also missed a couple greens from less than 150 yards (this frustrates me to no end).

All-in-all, I am very happy with this round. My next time out will be official and I am really excited for the season to begin.

Sounds like a great day on the course Interlooper. Glad you like your new driver.

The season officially begins tomorrow. I will likely play an early afternoon round and the weather/condition really couldn't be better. I am looking forward to it.

Very nice round! I'm glad to hear the new driver is working out for you. :)

My goal for 2010 is to reduce my HI by 6 shots to a 20 HI. I shot my best round ever the other day 86! Stoked!!

Played my first official round of the season (Chicago season started today). The weather was a great 85 degrees, but the wind was 25 to 30 mph with gust 35+ mph. I played one of my usual courses, Harborside. It is a links setup. So, with the really windy conditions, it was a bit British Open-ish.

The course is fairly difficult... about the same rating/slope as the Blue Monster at Doral.

Had a fun and challenging round. I shot an 85, which definitely will get me closer to my goal.

Fairways: 8 of 14
GIRs: 4... ugh.
Putts: 32

Positives:

* Reached a 560 yard par 5 in two.
* Hit to within 7 feet of a 189 yard par 3.
* Played well in the wind from the tee.

Negatives:

* Underestimated the influence of the wind on my iron shots.
* Drove in the middle of the fairway to about 88 yards from the green... and the proceeded to take another 5 shots to get it in the cup.
* 3-putted the final hole after reaching the long par 5 in two.

Definitely a great start to the season. Here's to hoping for a few more like that.

Last edited:
Nice start of the season. Here in Indy we started posting March 1....funny they just mowing the fairways for the first time 2 days ago!! Good luck, your on the right track.

Impressive round, especially given the conditions. Reaching a 560 yard par five in two is quite an accomplishment. :)

Impressive round, especially given the conditions. Reaching a 560 yard par five in two is quite an accomplishment. :)

Thanks. It helped that I had those wind gusts coming from behind on that hole. I only needed a 4-iron on the second shot; that's how windy it was.

Nice start of the season. Here in Indy we started posting March 1....funny they just mowing the fairways for the first time 2 days ago!! Good luck, your on the right track.

Thanks... hopefully I can stay on the "right track." I often string together some decent rounds, and then I string together terrible rounds. I guess that is what keeps me coming back to play this great game though.

Played a couple more rounds in the last week. Farily mediocre. Nearly 70% of fairways for these rounds, but only 30% GIRs. I need this to be north of 50% if I want to reach my goal.

I have been driving the ball very well. Had my longest drive ever yesterday and hit 3 other drives that I consider to be near my outer reaches. I also hit my long irons well.

Unfortunately, I was absolutely horrible within 75 yards. In fact, I missed 3 greens from in between 40-75 yards. I cold shanked these 3 shots. It is not a swing plane issue; rather, it is as simple as me not returning the club to a square position at impact and, thus, I make contact with the hosel. This only happens on less than 3-quarter pitch shots. If anyone has tips to square the clubface on pitches, please let me know. This would have saved me roughly 3-5 strokes last round.

I went to the range today and hit approximately 200 balls in 2.5 hours. The majority of those balls were hit to flags within 35-80 yards (the yardage I suddenly struggled with this past week).

I went back to the basics. I remember a THP interview - - with Natilie Gulbis I believe - - in which she stated that she had taken her open stance to excess and that another playing professional had essentially mentioned that it was too open at address. Well, that may have been the culprit for me as well. In going back to the basics, I adjusted my stance to be square to slightly closed for my pitches. It worked wonders and I no longer had any issues with squaring the clubface at impact for these less-than-full swings.

Though I cannot say fur sure that I have cured all my ills for my pitching, I am excited about my game. Just in time for my trip to Myrtle Beach in a few days.

Well, with my first handicap revision of the season, I am not any closer to reaching my goal. That was to be expected, as my best scores from last season were approximately 20 rounds ago. However, I have been making much progress in the "consistency" area. In the last few rounds I have been able to reduce the amount of "blow up" holes.

I also have been working on my chipping/pitching and the results have been pleasing. I still struggle with putting, but who doesn't?

And, although it wasn't a goal for me in 2010, I did accomplish a feat that was quite unexpected. I shot even par on a 9-hole course yesterday. It was a great day!

I adjusted my stance to be square to slightly closed for my pitches. It worked wonders and I no longer had any issues with squaring the clubface at impact for these less-than-full swings.

That works for me as well -- more of an Utley approach. I find that both direction and distance get more variable as I open my stance for even short pitches and certainly anything over 40 yards.

Nice start to your season, though. I'd love to break 90 on a tough course setup. I'll shoot sub-80 from time to time but it's on your more typical Muni.

Good news and bad news, folks.

Good News: Today, the CDGA did its Index Revision and, long and behold, I reached my goal: I squeaked by with a 9.9 believe it or not. Again, for me there is nothing special about the single-digit, other than I see it as an accurate reflection of the fact that I am making progress in this great game. I am pretty pumped about this (I apologize if this sounds a little pat-on-the-back-ish).

Bad News: This goal was supposed to last me for a significant portion of the season; I wasn't supposed to string together several good rounds in a row (that is unusual for me). Of course, part of my goal is to maintain the index, so that is something for me to work towards. I shot even-par at a 9-hole course a couple weeks ago... I think I might try to make that an 18-hole endeavor, though I am next to certain that such a goal is a bit lofty for me at this point.

This season has been an incredible joy thus far. The weather has been fantastic, my golf pals have been a blast, and my hardwork over the off-season is starting to pay dividends. I might go buy a golf-related item to celebrate. Maybe a Bushnel.

Interlooper - I'd like you to try something. Next time you post - just post the good news unless you really have bad news. Don't borrow trouble.

A bit superstitious are we?

Interlooper - I'd like you to try something. Next time you post - just post the good news unless you really have bad news. Don't borrow trouble.

I was using it more as a figure of speech. But point taken nonetheless; can't complain about your rationale now can I?

A tiny bit Interlooper, but I really just wanted you to keep your glass half full.

I was using it more as a figure of speech. But point taken nonetheless; can't complain about your rationale now can I?

Nope. I look forward to hearing about your next round.

The way this year is looking, my goal will be to play twice a month. I have played twice this year, as opposed to my twice a week last year, and even more in '08. Not happy about it, but that's life.

My goal for this year is much the same as yours. I'd like to maintain a single digit HDCP for the entire summer. I fluctuate between 14-9. The downfall in my game is inconsistency. I have days when I can't miss with my irons, but my driver is in trouble all day. I have days when my driver and irons are both good, but my chipping is terrible. Putting is the only thing fairly stable in my game (25-30 PPR). I have worked hard and making my misses more tolerable. I also flattened my swing plane a smidge and have had good results so far. My miss is a snap hook, with comes from pulling back too far upright and coming in way too steep and off the toe. In my opinion the difference between a 15 and 8 hdcp is driving and short game, so I work on those the most. I'll check in from time to time, good luck!!!

I missed your latest update interlooper. Congrats on making sub 10.0! Here's to keeping under it. Also, glad to hear you are having such a great season so far.

Mines to shoot under 40 in a 9 hole round. If i keep playing like I'm playing now, it shouldn't take long!

Back