Please Help Me Fix My OTT Swing

Well, I'll be honest. My slice has gotten exponentially worse this week after 3 range sessions. I'm seeing some of the biggest misses start right and slice probably a good 60-70 yards farther. Pretty disheartening. This game sure isn't fun right now...

I don't even know what I'm doing so wrong at this point.

Well, I'll be honest. My slice has gotten exponentially worse this week after 3 range sessions. I'm seeing some of the biggest misses start right and slice probably a good 60-70 yards farther. Pretty disheartening. This game sure isn't fun right now...

I don't even know what I'm doing so wrong at this point.

Set up your phone and take some videos

Consider buying the medicus & secret glove...another way to get the lower body and legs working is to plant the left heal down first at the top, you might find this easier than turning the left hip as the hip move some find it difficult to isolate.
Try slowing the swing down till your not slicing so much. Particularly in the top of the backswing. Vision the swing at the top like a archers arrow that was sent straight up in the sky, there is a slowing down going into the apex, then a transition in direction and a smooth turn to a decent/downswing. Not a stop/pause its a smooth transition. def not a quick move.
If you have too tight a grip pressure this will negate the feel of this.Try doing this while playing one club more at shots. What shafts do you have? whats the SW? opt for a slightly heavier weight like DG. Keep working on it, perhaps practice swing without hitting balls first, or choose a shorter target. It will come around

Last edited:
Consider buying the medicus & secret glove...another way to get the lower body and legs working is to plant the left heal down first at the top, you might find this easier than turning the left hip as the hip move some find it difficult to isolate.
Try slowing the swing down till your not slicing so much. Particularly in the top of the backswing. Vision the swing at the top like a archers arrow that was sent straight up in the sky, there is a slowing down going into the apex, then a transition in direction and a smooth turn to a decent/downswing. Not a stop/pause its a smooth transition. def not a quick move.
If you have too tight a grip pressure this will negate the feel of this.Try doing this while playing one club more at shots. What shafts do you have? whats the SW? opt for a slightly heavier weight like DG. Keep working on it, perhaps practice swing without hitting balls first, or choose a shorter target. It will come around
Thanks. I think I'm going to treat myself to some lessons once the holidays are over. The Georgia Golf Center has a couple of good Pro's on the payroll and they also have two Trackmans so I should be able to gather a lot of advice and data on my swing. It might be good to have a set of eyes analysing my swing in real time instead of me trying to "work" on things at the range for a change.

My irons are Burner 2.0 w/ stock shafts so admittedly, they are not fitted for my swing. My next set will definitely be fitted for me, but that is still a few months away. I'd like to try and repair as much of my swing as possible before I am fitted, for obvious reasons.

My driver, which gives me the most problems is a G30 LSTech with the Tour 65 X-stiff shaft which I was fitted for. I am still learning on this club, which is more consistent and forgiving than the R1 that I was gaming prior.

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish I could get some videos of the progress.
I took some videos yesterday when I went back out. Honestly, I don't see a whole lot in the video, even though I feel like my adjustments are an exaggerated change. Maybe a little better with my shoulders, but it's hard to tell with the low angle. I honestly feel like I have a block in my mind that just doesn't allow my body to "keep the club in the slot or drop it" no matter how hard I try. I also feel like my left shoulder is way right of target in some of the swings but you can't see that when you view the video...

Let me crop them down to shorter videos and I'll post them up.

I took some videos yesterday when I went back out. Honestly, I don't see a whole lot in the video, even though I feel like my adjustments are an exaggerated change. Maybe a little better with my shoulders, but it's hard to tell with the low angle. I honestly feel like I have a block in my mind that just doesn't allow my body to "keep the club in the slot or drop it" no matter how hard I try. I also feel like my left shoulder is way right of target in some of the swings but you can't see that when you view the video...

Let me crop them down to shorter videos and I'll post them up.

Maybe you should just stop playing golf or just stop over thinking the swing.

Yeah, I'm not going to just stop playing golf...

Maybe you should just stop playing golf or just stop over thinking the swing.
For real?

CJ
I think I learned this here relatively recently:

Often times what a golfer feels, is far from what is actually happening. I believe that's where the golf term 'feel ain't real' comes from.

I believe this is most consistently demonstrated on video.
For example you could ask a golfer to come in from way inside on the ball.
When you watch the video back, the golfer was nowhere near as inside as he/she felt during the swing.

I think that's what makes even little changes so hard to implement. They feel like a lot more than a little change, and make the swing awkward for a spell.

That might explain your set up issues. Your shoulder alignment is different than it was, but possibly not as much as it feels.

Good luck my man!

Any tips for getting my shoulders in line? I feel like I'm lining them up, but I still see it.

Leading with my hips has always been tough for me. When I consciously try to do it, I either block it out and push or overcompensate and snap hook...
I stumbled on something and thought of you/this question. Try using a mirror or reflective window in your home. Take your stance perpendicular to the mirror/window (i.e., as if your target was straight at it). Then without moving your torso place the shaft across your chest. See where the butt of the club is pointing. This tells you how you are lined up and gives immediate feedback on what Open, Closed and Right feels like.

Please Help Me Fix My OTT Swing

I stumbled on something and thought of you/this question. Try using a mirror or reflective window in your home. Take your stance perpendicular to the mirror/window (i.e., as if your target was straight at it). Then without moving your torso place the shaft across your chest. See where the butt of the club is pointing. This tells you how you are lined up and gives immediate feedback on what Open, Closed and Right feels like.

I used this technique to discover that my shoulders have been very closed to my target. I went to the range this am with this in mind. And saw pretty dramatic improvement. Maybe it can help you too.

Last edited:
For real?

CJ
I think I learned this here relatively recently:

Often times what a golfer feels, is far from what is actually happening. I believe that's where the golf term 'feel ain't real' comes from.

I believe this is most consistently demonstrated on video.
For example you could ask a golfer to come in from way inside on the ball.
When you watch the video back, the golfer was nowhere near as inside as he/she felt during the swing.

I think that's what makes even little changes so hard to implement. They feel like a lot more than a little change, and make the swing awkward for a spell.

That might explain your set up issues. Your shoulder alignment is different than it was, but possibly not as much as it feels.

Good luck my man!

My advise is always serious. I have told a few clients to stop playing. I wasn't serious when I suggested to CJ.

I think Freddie was talking about stop golfing for the short term. Take a week off and clear the head before swinging again.

I don't need defense of my statement. It was for affect. If I were standing in front of him I would have said the same thing and my intention would have realized right away.

So your advice is always serious, yet you weren't serious when you suggested it to me? Not sure I follow or see what "affect" you were going for.

Anyways... I've been working on a couple smaller things; some being similar to what tequila posted along with adjusting my take away. It's still not perfect, but I'm seeing some improvements in my swing plane and accuracy. Hopefully, with more practice, I can see more consistency off the box and throughout the rest of my shots.

So your advice is always serious, yet you weren't serious when you suggested it to me? Not sure I follow or see what "affect" you were going for.

Anyways... I've been working on a couple smaller things; some being similar to what tequila posted along with adjusting my take away. It's still not perfect, but I'm seeing some improvements in my swing plane and accuracy. Hopefully, with more practice, I can see more consistency off the box and throughout the rest of my shots.

Not defending except to say that I took it as part 1 of not playing golf as not serious and part 2 of overthinking the swing as serious, paralysis by over-analysis(?)
In some ways I think my swing has gotten worse from all the stuff I've read, seen or heard. When I'm relaxed and the swing is natural is when I get the best results. I have an OTT swing that first was a slice and has morphed into low pull hooks. Tempo is everything for me.

Not defending except to say that I took it as part 1 of not playing golf as not serious and part 2 of overthinking the swing as serious, paralysis by over-analysis(?)
In some ways I think my swing has gotten worse from all the stuff I've read, seen or heard. When I'm relaxed and the swing is natural is when I get the best results. I have an OTT swing that first was a slice and has morphed into low pull hooks. Tempo is everything for me.

I feel as if I can be the same way, if my tempo or swing is too fast/quick at the top the slice is a big part of my OTT move, but if I slow down too deliberately pull hooks come into play, some days it is jut tough finding that right tempo, but those days you have the right tempo are awesome when you say to yourself 'driver problems? What driver problems!' We just need to groove that tempo and become automatic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the first to admit that I overthink my swing at times which is where the majority of my problems come from and maybe I misunderstood the context of the original comment. Hard to read into that stuff on the Internet.

I feel as if I can be the same way, if my tempo or swing is too fast/quick at the top the slice is a big part of my OTT move, but if I slow down too deliberately pull hooks come into play, some days it is jut tough finding that right tempo, but those days you have the right tempo are awesome when you say to yourself 'driver problems? What driver problems!' We just need to groove that tempo and become automatic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was one of the things that I've been working on. I've slowed my takeaway and backswing down to make a more deliberate transition, which has helped me to release the hips and "drop" the club. It's far from perfect right now, but at least I'm getting the results when executed correctly.

I'm sorry you took it as a negative. My tips work for most and may not work for others. My statement was meant for you to get out of your own way. I've suggested you stick with the move because it works. You want something that looks text book even though the swings I have seen are solid.

Good luck!

Back