Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard pondering going absolutely vanilla on my macbook pro. Wiping everything, music, most of my pics/documents, etc etc and starting fresh. Only downloading things I use daily.
Why not just download everything to external HD?

i lack the external in which to do so. Really not convinced I would miss much though.
1. They are cheap.
2. Leaves the mac wide open for everything else.
3. Just offering up my .02
4. Im out of things to list.

1. They are cheap.
2. Leaves the mac wide open for everything else.
3. Just offering up my .02
4. Im out of things to list.

haha listing things are what all the cool kids are doing.

You're right, they are indeed cheap. May need to do that.

I found a couple of computers that I liked today, but they don't seem to be that much better than what I have now. I have a great computer, it just might blow up at any minute. I am struggling to spend $1000 on a new computer when the specs don't seem that much better than what I have now.

I found a couple of computers that I liked today, but they don't seem to be that much better than what I have now. I have a great computer, it just might blow up at any minute. I am struggling to spend $1000 on a new computer when the specs don't seem that much better than what I have now.
Check out any Lenovos?

Check out any Lenovos?

I did, I was looking at the Lenovo, HP, and Asus. They had comparable Dell's and Toshiba's but I haven't had great success with those brands so I am staying away from them. We went to Best Buy yesterday so I could test the keyboards (that is a HUGE deal for me and a deal breaker with a computer), and sadly I hated the keyboard of the Lenovo. The keys weren't very responsive, they were too short, meaning when you push down on them there is no give, it's like they are already all the way down, so there's no way to really feel that you pushed them. I can't really figure out a good way to describe that, hopefully that makes sense.

All three brands have a machine that is comparable to each other and they are all around the same price point, but the specs just don't seem THAT much better than what I have now. You know, minus the fact that my computer sounds like it is going to blow up.

if your computer sounds like that it is probably just one of the moving parts that has gone bad - fan or disk drive most likely. very cheap to repair versus replacing the whole thing. If it is the hard drive, you could buy an SSD to replace it and get a great performance boost at the same time (though you will probably have to give up some raw storage space). HTH

Any tech people have a recommendation?

Totally biased opinion but I have never had any good experiences with HP PC's and have had nothing but good experiences with Lenovo's. Lenovo you listed above have a Nvidia graphics card whereas the HP has a built-in Intel card. For me that's a big deal.

I have had pretty much all HP's without a hitch. Loved everyone, but the specs are what matter more than the brand. As long as it is Intel i5+ series and has a quality motherboard all will be good.

Did some TV shopping today and narrowed down my search to two.

Both 60" led smart tvs, 1080p 120hz hd.

Between the LG and the Vizio. Now I just have to do some reading and see which way I should go.

That's the newer equivalent to my current laptop. I love my Lenovo, it's an absolute workhorse too.

Did some TV shopping today and narrowed down my search to two.

Both 60" led smart tvs, 1080p 120hz hd.

Between the LG and the Vizio. Now I just have to do some reading and see which way I should go.

Have you checked the 240hz Visio? I went 60" Sony LED & after having it for a while I wish I would have bought the 240hz. Doesn't seem like much but makes a huge difference with HD feeds.

Have you checked the 240hz Visio? I went 60" Sony LED & after having it for a while I wish I would have bought the 240hz. Doesn't seem like much but makes a huge difference with HD feeds.

I have not. Trying to stay on a budget with this one. Will do some research.

I have not. Trying to stay on a budget with this one. Will do some research.

Visios IMO are great options at their price points. I just know I see HD shows from a friend who has a 240hz TV vs my 120hz and it's night and day. I have slight buyers remorse and trying to make sure others don't.

I completely understand budget, but if you can make a 240hz happen I would.

Totally biased opinion but I have never had any good experiences with HP PC's and have had nothing but good experiences with Lenovo's. Lenovo you listed above have a Nvidia graphics card whereas the HP has a built-in Intel card. For me that's a big deal.

I have never had a Lenovo, but so far HP is the only computer I have had any success with, so it's encouraging to hear you have such good experiences with Lenovo.

I do like that it has a separate graphics card.

That's the newer equivalent to my current laptop. I love my Lenovo, it's an absolute workhorse too.

What about the keyboard? I hated it when I tried it at Best Buy.

I also saw these:

http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-15t-Q...ics-|-Backlit-Keyboard.product.100107633.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...qid=1395622644&sr=1-15&keywords=lenovo+laptop

I have never had a Lenovo, but so far HP is the only computer I have had any success with, so it's encouraging to hear you have such good experiences with Lenovo.

I do like that it has a separate graphics card.

What about the keyboard? I hated it when I tried it at Best Buy.

I also saw these:

http://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-15t-Q...ics-|-Backlit-Keyboard.product.100107633.html

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkP...qid=1395622644&sr=1-15&keywords=lenovo+laptop

The keyboard doesnt bother me, I got used to it very quick. However, I now use mine at work more than home, and 85% of the time I have a USB keyboard plugged in.

Thanks! I am super weird about keyboards, they can be a deal breaker for me.
Mine is backlit, which I like. I am using it right now, and it reminds me of using a Macbook. Low profile keys on this one, not a lot of give when you press them but there is a slight click that lets me know I am hitting the keys. Not too soft.

Mine is backlit, which I like. I am using it right now, and it reminds me of using a Macbook. Low profile keys on this one, not a lot of give when you press them but there is a slight click that lets me know I am hitting the keys. Not too soft.

That's the problem, I HATE the Macbook keyboard. I want give when I hit the keyboard, and with how much we travel I have to like the keyboard because a lot of times I won't have an external keyboard. This is my biggest fear with that computer. If I get that one, I really hope I can get used to the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back