Dr RosenRosen

Reaction score
Handicap
What movie:

1. do you dislike and are baffled that it is either well-reviewed or generally liked?

2. do you like although it is almost universally loathed or poorly-reviewed?

One movie for me is "Mad Max: Fury Road." Although the action scenes are incredible, it just seemed like it was the same action scene over and over again. By the end, I was somewhat bored which should never happen in an action movie.

There are a few movies that I like that were not well received:
- John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness"
- "Some Kind of Wonderful,"
- "Knight and Day"
- "Club Dread"

What about you?

I never really got into Pulp Fiction. Another movie, one that I find boring as hell, is 2001 A Space Odyssey

I liked "I am number four" but it wasn't well received at the movies!

The Die Hard series and I agree 2001 Space Odyssey was a waste of time.

One that I like is Smokin Aces.

What Movie...

- people love the kill bill series. I know what it's supposed to be, and it sucks. and no country for old men is one of the most boring movies I've ever seen. also hated the focker franchise, but that's an issue with how much I dislike that uncomfortable humor.

- liked that is loathed would be the cell with Jennifer Lopez. I also enjoyed shyamalan's last airbender but I'd never heard of the series before that.

for me a space odyssey was much cooler when I read about it and understood the ancient alien theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Anything will Ferrell I think he's terrible.

2. Anything of the evil dead series. Bruce Campbell is the man.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The avengers was awful but I liked it. The one with Sean Connery and the colorful bears.

Love all the older James Bond movies.The cinematography - acting - and some hilarious lines are priceless.Movies you can watch years from now and still have a good feel to them

Love all the older James Bond movies.The cinematography - acting - and some hilarious lines are priceless.Movies you can watch years from now and still have a good feel to them
I watch them regularly. Bin my opinion (I own them all) the 80s/90s were mostly garbage so I enjoy the older ones most

Watching the movie "Inception" was like a bad dream for me. Staying with the "Dream Theme", I thought the move "What Dream May Come" was very thought provoking.

I hated Braveheart....to the point I couldn't finish it.
Exact same with LOTR. I fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Never saw another minute of the series.

The bad movies I love?
RHPS (nearing 100 viewings)
PeeWee's Big Adventure
Maximum Overdrive

I hated Braveheart....to the point I couldn't finish it.
Exact same with LOTR. I fell asleep about 45 minutes in. Never saw another minute of the series.

The bad movies I love?
RHPS (nearing 100 viewings)
PeeWee's Big Adventure
Maximum Overdrive
Rocky horror has a cult following.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Liked Limitless, don't hear about too many other people liking it.

Did not care for Scarface. In my opinion, one of the more overrated movies.

The new Star Wars. Total repeat of number 4 but with worse acting. Totally overhyped in every sense

Jurrasic World was also terrible but people liked it.

I can't think of any movies I love that people dislike.

The new Star Wars. Total repeat of number 4 but with worse acting. Totally overhyped in every sense

Jurrasic World was also terrible but people liked it.

I can't think of any movies I love that people dislike.
The Star Wars remake totally fits in with hollywoods inability to come up with new stuff these days tho.

There's probably tons of artsy flicks that I thought were garbage. I know a lot of people liked A Beautiful Mind, but I thought it was boring...actually, I find Russel Crowe a pretty poor actor, aside from Gladiator. He doesn't do drama well, IMO.

As for critically panned moves that I love, nothing quite does it like the first Boondock Saints movie.

I didn't answer #2. Anyone remember Ishtar? Only saw it once, my first ex wife made me go, but I thought it got panned mainly because of its high budget.

Back to #1. The Martian. Totally unrealistic. No way in hell they are going to land on Mars in something 4-5 stories high and now way in second hell they are going to pre-place a 3 story "escape" rocket for just in case (and then they do it and it can't get into high orbit without turning it into a "convertible.") Stole a line from Apollo 13 "steely-eyed missile man" which was an actual quote from Apollo 13. Also there was that stupid Elrond reference for Sean Bean. And, finally, Matt Damon's character wastes way too much energy and has way too much spare time. Guys who are forced to survive on Earth have to conserve their energy whenever possible.

This is a good question and I've had a hard time figuring out which movies fit these categories for me, but here goes!

1. do you
dislike and are baffled that it is either well-reviewed or generally liked? Gone with The Wind. I just don't get the appeal, and it really strikes me as kind of stupid.

2. do you like although it is almost universally loathed or poorly-reviewed? Tron Legacy. I love this movie, but apparently critics think it's terrible.

Gravity: Total failure that the wife made me watch, no way in hell would NASA or any country put someone like that into space unless it was to 'cull' yet the critics jumped all over it saying 'great' - YUK

Spectre: A lot of critics/fans saying 'disappointed' in this but I liked the tying in of 'Spectre', filled some gaps of older of the JB franchise. We now have more directions to go with JB.

Gravity: Total failure that the wife made me watch, no way in hell would NASA or any country put someone like that into space unless it was to 'cull' yet the critics jumped all over it saying 'great' - YUK

Spectre: A lot of critics/fans saying 'disappointed' in this but I liked the tying in of 'Spectre', filled some gaps of older of the JB franchise. We now have more directions to go with JB.
Agree on Spectre. Those that disliked not sure what they saw. I thought it great!

Agree with Gravity. I'm a big aviation and space nut. I like realism when it comes to space movies. One of the highlights of my life is talking with Frank Borman who circled the moon in 1968 and pretty much saved the Apollo program after the fire. He is a customer of mine, still flying well into his 80s. When he said his name the first time he called I didn't quite realize it was him until after he hung up. Then I thought, Frank Borman? It was later when his mechanic called and told me he was "that" Frank Borman. Spoke with him later on, very humble person.

Haven't seen Spectre yet but I wait for it to come to video.

Rocky Horror Picture Show: what a turd of a movie. I suppose it's fun participating but it's not my thing. YMMV.

Gladiator and The Patriot: Formula flicks. The same story, but the actors wear different clothes. They're not bad, they're just the same story.

Rocky Horror Picture Show: what a turd of a movie. I suppose it's fun participating but it's not my thing. YMMV.

Gladiator and The Patriot: Formula flicks. The same story, but the actors wear different clothes. They're not bad, they're just the same story.

As to formula flicks pretty much any movie based on a comic-book. Now I'm seeing ads for Superman vs Batman. Really? Sounds like the Godzilla movies we used to make fun of. Speaking of Batman, how many restarts does one character deserve.

Napoleon Dynamite.

That movie stinks. Period.

Back