Callaway UPRO MX+ GPS Preview

I'm kinda tired of using my phone for my GPS because I have noticed sometimes the yardages take a few minutes to update, so I look at it, hit my shot, and then overshoot the green only to look at my phone right after and have it show 20 yards shorter than it did when I got up to my ball. Definitely looking into a new GPS and this one looks awesome, plus the fact it is from my amazing sponsor!

I would like to have the shot tracking to get better results. I think I know what yardages I hit my clubs, but I want to know exactly what my averages are for each club. I want to be able to better judge what club for the yardages required. It is just an option that was supposed to be available on the MxPro that I was wanting to use and why I purchased it.

Shottracker helps you to know exactly how far you hit your clubs...most GPS models have some version of this and you can store it and it builds an average for you and will start suggesting clubs based on yardage.

That's what I thought, but I didn't realize so many folks used that function. I guess I've always just went on what I experienced during actual play. I can definitely live without this feature, but understand why others may need it.

Checked Golfsmith's website and they say it is in the stores today. I'll be going there after work and let everyone know unless someone posts before me. Hope they have a unit up and running.

I would also like shot tracking. Hope they add it. The only upside is if you know how many yards you are to the green when you hit you will just have to subtract your new yardage when you get to the ball. This should work on a straight hole at least.

LC

This will be getting a thorough workout from GG and myself this weekend. It will also be used in TX at the Tour Van event. Looking forward to getting it out there and seeing how well it continues to work.

This will be getting a thorough workout from GG and myself this weekend. It will also be used in TX at the Tour Van event. Looking forward to getting it out there and seeing how well it continues to work.

Very nice, looking forward to having the opportunity to check this out in person.

I wil be bringing mine the Austin, It is last years UPO MX upgraded with the 3.0. We can compare old versus new and see if there are any differences.

Well Golfsmith has it, but the manager new less about it then I do, then again, I learned a lot from this site. He was not a big fan of the uPro MX. I will have to see what everyone has to say.

LC

I wil be bringing mine the Austin, It is last years UPO MX upgraded with the 3.0. We can compare old versus new and see if there are any differences.

I will have mine too....same as yours...last years model with the upgraded software....so lots of chances for folks to try one out.

I got mine today. Can't wait to try it out tomorrow. I'm glad that the pro courses are included. Btw, on Ebay they are going for under $220. I paid 214.99 including shipping

I have a question. I received mine today. Downloaded the Pro courses, etc. When I disconnect it and turn it on, the bars that shows the satellite reception has a red circle with a line though it. Do I need to actually be on the course to get that to work?

You do need to be outside so it can see the satellites

I am going to start looking at two different units; Callaway upro mx+ and the Garmin Approach G6. I hope we get some reviews on how people are liking or not liking these units.

Trying to get set up for the Austin trip. Loading the Upro MX with Falcon Head golf club right now.

Trying to get set up for the Austin trip. Loading the Upro MX with Falcon Head golf club right now.

I did this earlier today....I also like how you can "preview the course" on the website....gonna study true blue and caledonia for the Morgan Cup off the website.

Just used it for 9 holes and it worked well. It's small and seemed to be very consisent with the GPS on the golf cart. I like it so far, but have to use it more to be more comfortable with it.

Anyone else having problems registering their MX+?

Just picked up a new mx+ this past weekend. This unit is not what I expected.
After one round:

The Good:
  • Distance – it was fine. I checked it with my old GolfLogix and it was within a yard or so.
  • Features – the buttons are easy to switch from mode to mode.
  • Visual – easy to read.
The BAD!
  • I did not know that it was going to go to sleep every 30 seconds. I was in a riding cart and had to constantly reach over to wake it up. This is a pain in the rear. My other GPS units never went to sleep.
  • I understand that if you purchase the protective "skin", it covers up the side buttons.
  • If you purchase the extended battery, then it will not fit into the skin or the belt clip.
Conclusion:
  • I am planning on selling this unit (even at a loss) to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I was very close to getting this unit last year... but early on I went with the OnPar. :angry:
I am giving the rangefinder a chance, but I sure do love being able to see a new hole before I play it...

Sorry that you did not like it.

I have the original MX with the software upgrade to MX+. The hardware on both is the same.
I use the protective skin and it does not cause any issues with the buttons at all.
As far as it going to sleep, I believe it has to do with what power setting you have it set to.
I do not have the extended battery so I can't comment on it. I played 18 holes last week and still had 35% battery left which is much better than before the update.
Just in case, I carry an external battery pack for my phone and MX that plugs into the micro usb port.
Overall, I have been very happy with what Callaway has done to improve the MX/MX+

- On the skin, I do not have one but was told by the salesperson that you can't work the button. Sounds like that was incorrect.

Just picked up a new mx+ this past weekend. This unit is not what I expected.
After one round:

The Good:
  • Distance – it was fine. I checked it with my old GolfLogix and it was within a yard or so.
  • Features – the buttons are easy to switch from mode to mode.-
  • Visual – easy to read.
The BAD!
  • I did not know that it was going to go to sleep every 30 seconds. I was in a riding cart and had to constantly reach over to wake it up. This is a pain in the rear. My other GPS units never went to sleep.
  • I understand that if you purchase the protective "skin", it covers up the side buttons.
  • If you purchase the extended battery, then it will not fit into the skin or the belt clip.
Conclusion:
  • I am planning on selling this unit (even at a loss) to get rid of it.

Thank you CrazyGolfNut,

But I think you might be crazy if you don't give it another try.

Because of your feedback and that of others, I just bought mine on ebay for 196.00 w/ free 2nd day air shipping.

I like "The Good" and as for "The Bad"
Sleep Mode - I know this can be adjusted in settings
Skin - I'm only going to use a screen protector overlay
Battery - I'll just keep a second non-extended battery. I also have one of those small "AA" battery chargers for a cell phone that I think may work with the mini-usb port.

As per the online manual - the backlight is set at 40% - The manual says that "Battery life can be improved significantly by reducing the backlight setting below the default of 40%."

Again Thank You One and All - I Love This Site! :alien2:

LC

I have the skin on mine too and have had no issues with the buttons, as far as "sleep Mode" you can change that in the settings. My only real issue with this unit at the moment is not having the "shot tracker" feature and I wish it did a little more in the stat department. I am so spoiled by the great stats I get from Golfshot GPS on my Iphone.

As was mentioned before there will be 3 of them at the Texas Tour Van stop this coming weekend so if anyone is interested I am sure we can let you demo one.

Anyone else having problems registering their MX+?

It took me three times to get everything loaded and registered. My antivirus software - Avira - kept something from loading.

Got the unit last night, Charged it, loaded everything, my five local courses. I'll be trying it out soon. I'll let everyone know.

Back