GolfTec Driver Fitting!

arwin

Reaction score
Just got fitted at GolfTec today

Before going into my fitting, I already went to Golftown a few times to hit a few different drivers that I had in mind. I've hit the M1, 915, DBD, GBB & XR Pro. I liked the feel of the GBB, XR Pro and the 915, not so much for the M1. I must say though, when I hit the M1 solid, it flies a mile. However, on misses with the M1, it didn't feel and sound very good. The GBB and the XR Pro felt very similar and numbers were similar but I like the adjustability on the GBB. When I compared the GBB to the 915 at Golftown, the GBB always won out on distance. So I had a good idea which club I wanted and just wanted to get the optimal specs for it.

I started off hitting my own driver (R11S) to get some control numbers. When I hit it great, I got pretty good distance (270ish) but when I'm not hitting it the best, it goes more about 250.

Once we got the numbers for my existing club, we switched over to the GBB with the older Diamana Kai'li Blueboard in a stiff shaft. Feel was good but the numbers didn't do much for me. I actually had a faster club head speed with this setup but had less distance than my gamer and most shots were hooking quite a bit. The fitter took the club back and made some adjustments to the head.

Then we popped out the Blueboard and then put in a Oban Devotion 6 in a stiff shaft. I've read a lot of good things about Oban so I was excited to try this shaft out. Felt great when swinging it again, but after a few shots, my fitter quickly realized that the spin on it was way too high. Again, I was hooking most of these shots too. More adjustments were made to the head.

We popped out the Devotion and he popped in another shaft. This time, he made the changes and told me not to look at the shaft. While he was putting it in though, I could already tell it was the Fujikara Speeder since I hit them at Golftown. lol.
Anyway, my first swing with it was a monster shot. 256 carry with 279 total distance and best of all, right down the middle! I turn over and look at him...and all he says is "You're welcome." LOL. I hit a few more shots and they were all straighter than all my previous shots and the numbers were pretty similar. After we got the consensus that the first shot wasn't a fluke, we knew that this was the setup to go with. At this point, my fitter says I can look at the shaft now. I turn it over and yep, it was the Speeder 665 with in a stiff....wait...X FLEX?! He was seeing how my transition was very aggressive and club head speed isn't always the determining factor for stiffness. He just wanted to pop it in and see if it would work and it did.

Just as another test, we tried out the 915 in the newer Diamana Blueboard. The numbers as I had expected before were not as long as the GBB.

Once we figured out the club setup, I looked at how the head was setup. He had me using a 10.5* head with it turned down 1* to a 9.5*. He also had the sliding weight set all the way to the fade position. Club face was set at neutral.

We looked at some of the numbers again and checked if we could fine tune the settings to see if we could get anymore out of it. The launch angle was a tad low so we tried putting the head back at 10.5*. This change only resulted in an increased launch angle by about 0.3* but the spin numbers increased quite a bit. So we settled on 9.5* and at this point I'm pretty fatigued from all the hitting.

I found out that my current gamer was cut shorter than I realized. My current gamer was cut to 44" instead of the 44.5" that I thought it was. Since the shaft was originally a stiff shaft and we cut so much off, it played more like an x flex.

The shafts lengths that I was hitting were standard lengths (45.5), I mentioned to the fitter that I will probably cut a little bit off and he agreed that it would probably be a good idea. We settled on 44.75". Since we are going to cut it, he recommended getting the stiff flex and once we cut it, it'll play more like the X flex again. I'm going to be ordering the club soon but we just need to figure out if Callaway will adjust the swing weight since we're going to cut it down a bit.

All in all, a very good experience! Excited to be gaming this driver this season!

Here were the numbers:

Current Gamer: R11S with Diamana 'ahina whiteboard in a stiff cut down to 44" (So it plays like an X)
Average Club Head Speed: 101.40
Average Ball Speed: 146.80
Average Total Distance: 254.00
Average Carry Distance: 233.40
Average Launch Angle: 11.76
Average Back Spin: 3248.80

Best Shot w/ current gamer:
Club Head Speed: 104.0
Ball Speed: 151.0
Total Distance: 270.00
Carry Distance: 248.00
Launch Angle: 12.6
Back Spin: 2549

Recommended Club: Great Big Bertha with Fujikara Speeder 665 in an X Flex
Average Club Head Speed: 104.33
Average Ball Speed: 151.67
Average Total Distance: 268.00
Average Carry Distance: 246.67
Average Launch Angle: 11.83
Average Back Spin: 2820.33

Best Shot w/ recommended club:
Club Head Speed: 106.0
Ball Speed: 154.0
Total Distance: 279.00
Carry Distance: 256.00
Launch Angle: 13.6
Back Spin: 2181

That's a nice increase in yardage!

very nice recap. Check out that increase in ball speed! Congrats on the new GBB.

Nice write up..I really need to get another fitting done soon.

Can I ask how much this fitting cost you? There's a local GolfTec that I have been pondering getting fit at but they don't advertise the prices.

Can I ask how much this fitting cost you? There's a local GolfTec that I have been pondering getting fit at but they don't advertise the prices.

I believe they charge about $125. When I got fitted though they waved the cost because I bought my clubs through them. First fitting was just irons, second was for driver, 3W and hybrid (and purchased two MD3 wedges at the same time). If you decide to get fit, ask them if they will wave the fitting charge if you buy through them.

Nice write up, congrats on finding THE big stick.

Nice write up! And wow that's some yards added! Reading through peoples fittings just keeps making me want to plunk down the cash and get fitted.

I was also fit for the GBB after trying out the competition. Good thing to because I was about to pull the plug on a blind M1 purchase with a shaft I "thought" was good for my swing.

Nice write up, I'm looking at getting a new driver soon, was your fitting done at the Golftech on the West end of the City?
Yeah. It's the west end GolfTec. If you are interested in going let me know. I can refer you and we'd both get $100 credit at GolfTec!

And make sure you only see Blair. The other guys aren't very good.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Nice recap and congrats on the new setup!

My fitting was included in my lesson package. On their own, I believe it's $130 for the fitting.

I believe they charge about $125. When I got fitted though they waved the cost because I bought my clubs through them. First fitting was just irons, second was for driver, 3W and hybrid (and purchased two MD3 wedges at the same time). If you decide to get fit, ask them if they will wave the fitting charge if you buy through them.
Man. I tried to see if they would waive the fee so I could keep another fitting for some time in the future but they wouldn't do it.

I have a fitting included in my package and will probably never use it. Like most places, they have a RH option in just about every configuration imaginable but very few Left Handed driver heads and irons. It's a real shame because the other people I know that goes through it winds up with great results.

I have a fitting included in my package and will probably never use it. Like most places, they have a RH option in just about every configuration imaginable but very few Left Handed driver heads and irons. It's a real shame because the other people I know that goes through it winds up with great results.

If you don't find the fitting session useful, you could always convert that into more lessons. I think you would get 2 or 3 30 minute lessons

If you don't find the fitting session useful, you could always convert that into more lessons. I think you would get 2 or 3 30 minute lessons
That's exactly what I was doing. However, my instructor just moved to Iowa and I'm stuck with 29 lessons, a fitting and some other thing. I don't particularly care for the other instructors there so I'm pretty much hosed. I'm probably just going to use them up as playing lessons to get some course management tips.

Great write up and kudos to listening to the fitter and trusting the process. Much easier said than done sometimes.

Great write up and recap.

Average distance increase of almost 15 yards, can't beat that!

Nice write up and great to see the pick up in ball speed.

Man. I tried to see if they would waive the fee so I could keep another fitting for some time in the future but they wouldn't do it.

Well, between the irons and the woods and wedges I spent something like $2,500 on clubs through them. You just need to buy more. :D

Back