Alerting Officials & Calling in Penalties

I agree with the masses in that I think it's ridiculous when viewers phone in. That said, that ball clearly moved and Tiger didn't call it.

I'm not a Tiger apologist, but I do enjoy watching him play golf, as well as many others on the tour. I will however give him the benefit of the doubt. The ball moved down, maybe a millimeter or two. From above the ball there is no way he would see that, only, like he said, oscillate. Having a third party report this infraction is ridiculous. Those with more scrutiny and eyeballs (or lenses) on them are at a disadvantage. Rules need to be followed, but in every other sport it's only a foul / penalty if called by an official. When's the last time Kobe called a foul on himself? I also want to see tour players start taking some HGH. Who doesn't like tour golfers with no necks.

Tapatalking on my iPad

I don't think that anyone should be allowed to call in a rules violation. Doesn't every group have a rules official that is walking with them? Why didn't that person follow Tiger into the woods when he went to his ball?

I agree that Tiger did notice something when he attempted to move the stick otherwise he would have moved it and tossed it aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I find this so ridiculous. I would never call in a penalty. Golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game, how is snitching on someone gentlemanly?

I think it should be just like every other sport and only the officials have the right to incur penalties as they see them. The other problem with this rule is that some players have extended time on TV and more people see their shots. Who's to say some guy that went off earlier in the day didnt do the same thing? No one saw it, so he gets away with it. I find that an unfair advantage and could be a potential difference in place in the tourney.

You know what else isn't gentlemanly? Not calling a penalty on yourself when you are supposed to because you broke a rule. I don't like cheaters. Tiger should have called that one on himself for sure. He tried to get away with cheating and failed.

It even verges on penalizing players who are on the TV more beause more of their shots are seen by the public.

Very very true, I'm not some Tiger fanatic but I do realize that the guy can't even quietly pass gas(not trying to be gross, but it's a good example) and get away with it, while the majority of other players could almost throw their ball out of the woods and nobody would even know.

Evidently Tiger needs to be watched more if be wasn't gonna call that one on himself.

For those that didn't see... Inbee Park had the cameras on her while she putted yesterday and while the cameras couldn't pick up the slightest movement she called the penalty on herself.

Women's #1 > Men's #1

...Doesn't every group have a rules official that is walking with them? Why didn't that person follow Tiger into the woods when he went to his ball?...

In the vast majority of events, there is not a rules official for every group. All of the majors have an official per group, except for the Masters (and they were discussing the possibility). I don't know whether this is the case for the BMW. None-the-less... How would the rules official decide which player to "observe"? It's not in the best interests of pace-of-play to have the official watch every swing (and the preparation for every swing), and this would be the only completely "fair" application of what you are proposing, IMO.

To the topic as a whole, I don't think call-ins should be allowed, but I would like "noticed" infractions to be made very public.

Called in violations are ridiculous IMHO, unless every player has every shot scrutinised to the same degree, it's grossly unfair.
With maybe 30000 shots hit during a big tournament, who's going to do that..??

Sports are pretty much played point in time and history is full of incidents that weren't seen at the time, violations that only came to light through TV analysis and plain errors from players officials.

For this one, either Tiger didn't think he moved the ball and realised that anything further would move the ball so stopped (best case); or violated the rules and didn't realise it (should know better); or violated the rules and didn't call it (bad Tiger). Whatever, it's on him to deal and live with.

under no circumstance do i believe that fall moved from its original position. I think Tiger realize that when he was moving the sticks that if he moved that stick then it would cause the ball to move not the fact that the ball move causing him to stop moving stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
If you were to see it on a big screen you would see it clearly moved no doubt about it but smalls is correct,he knew it moved and stopped fiddling with sticks and chipped out,he cheated and he got caught period

Yep, as someone has already said, in no other professional sport do they allow the fans the power to become officials/referees whenever the official ones miss something. It's ridiculous that this happens in golf.

Definitely in agreement with rtparty that there needs to be new blood running the PGA.

You know what else isn't gentlemanly? Not calling a penalty on yourself when you are supposed to because you broke a rule. I don't like cheaters. Tiger should have called that one on himself for sure. He tried to get away with cheating and failed.

How in the world can you know what Tiger saw or what he thought right there?

Were you there talking with him? Did you send him a quick text after the round?

All those in here calling him a cheater have NO idea what happened or went through his mind.

"Let he without sin cast the first stone."

I'm betting Smalls, Dam and others who are accusing Tiger of being a cheater follow every single rule there is at all times, no matter what. If not, it's just the kettle calling the pot black.

#ImWithChad

Never said it wasn't. I absolutely believe you should call penalties on yourself. I was merely responding to the question posed. But its not just Tiger who does these sort of things I am sure it happens around the course, guys break rules unintentionally and don't get penalized for it and don't penalize themselves either.

How in the world can you know what Tiger saw or what he thought right there?

Were you there talking with him? Did you send him a quick text after the round?

All those in here calling him a cheater have NO idea what happened or went through his mind.

"Let he without sin cast the first stone."

I'm betting Smalls, Dam and others who are accusing Tiger of being a cheater follow every single rule there is at all times, no matter what. If not, it's just the kettle calling the pot black.

#ImWithChad

How could he not see it move? He was looking right at it from like a foot away! He didn't get LASIK for nothing! He was moving a stick, and as soon as the ball moved, he stopped. Then he didn't tell anyone it moved, even though he incurred a penalty. It isn't the job of the rules official to call penalties, it is the official's job to clear up questions or problems. The players keep their own score, so it's their duty to call the penalties. Tiger didn't uphold his end of the bargain there.

If I was playing in a tournament where it was expected that I uphold the rules for myself, I would follow them. I called several penalties on myself through my high school career because, well, that's what you're supposed to do. Cheating isn't worth it.

How could he not see it move? He was looking right at it from like a foot away! He didn't get LASIK for nothing! He was moving a stick, and as soon as the ball moved, he stopped. Then he didn't tell anyone it moved, even though he incurred a penalty. It isn't the job of the rules official to call penalties, it is the official's job to clear up questions or problems. The players keep their own score, so it's their duty to call the penalties. Tiger didn't uphold his end of the bargain there.

If I was playing in a tournament where it was expected that I uphold the rules for myself, I would follow them. I called several penalties on myself through my high school career because, well, that's what you're supposed to do. Cheating isn't worth it.

Do you honestly think he would risk cheating when he knows he's being watched from 99 angles?

I guarantee at least one other player broke a rule yesterday that wasn't caught on tape. Or it was caught on tape and no one cares one bit because it wasn't Tiger.

Fans should not be able to call things in. Plain and simple. Haters gonna hate.

#ImWithChad

A fan didnt call it in. A photographer who was told to follow tiger did. Someone working the event.

Either way I am a tiger fan and I dont think he was cheating. Could very well looked like it oscillated from his angle.

Who knows, who cares, the penalty was made right.

I'd call it in if Sabaweenie was in the lead!

Do you honestly think he would risk cheating when he knows he's being watched from 99 angles?

I guarantee at least one other player broke a rule yesterday that wasn't caught on tape. Or it was caught on tape and no one cares one bit because it wasn't Tiger.

Fans should not be able to call things in. Plain and simple. Haters gonna hate.

#ImWithChad

Like Thain said, nobody called it in. I don't like anyone who cheats. Tiger just happened to be caught doing it. Anyone else who cheats sucks. But we see guys call penalties on themselves all the time, but Tiger didn't. Tiger sucks as a person and this only reinforces that for me.

I find it as disconcerting that someone from home could call in a penalty as Tiger wouldn't even at least call a rules official over to make sure. The ball clearly did something. I'm not going to argue whether it moved or "oscillated", but it was enough that he should have worked with a rules official to make the call in my mind. However on the topic of the thread, whether it was called in or someone standing by if they're not one of the players or an official it shouldn't be allowed I think.

Did the person that pointed it out try to say anything to Tiger or his caddy, or just go straight to the officials? I mean, I would think if i were following his group I would point it out to one of them, and try to give them the chance to make the right call rather than with holding the information and turning it in to penalize him. Perhaps he didn't notice it or didn't think it moved from it's original spot. Just a thought...

Giving a person behind a TV, the power to call out a player, is like giving a psycho a stick of TNT. A pro's good day goes BOOM!

#ImWithChad
I'm betting we aren't the #1 player in the world making a living off the game. And I am 100% sure I don't know every single rule. But I do know if I cause the ball to move, it's a penalty. I knew it in high school. You'd think he would have run into that happening at some point before yesterday.

What I find funny is that everybody here thinks they know that Tiger was intending to cheat. How could anybody (outside of Tiger himself) possibly know that he didn't think the ball moved and just oscillated?

Ah well, to each their own I guess.

I would never call it in. It's up to the player to and officials to police the game.

Just clarifying, that I do not think that outside people should be able to call in/point out rules violations after the fact.

But what if that videographer had seen it move and when he saw that Tiger was going to hit it anyway, would it have been acceptable if he had pointed it out to Tiger before he hit? I know he was likely too far away to do that without screaming it, but what if he had been right there? Would it have been ok for him to say, "Umm Tiger, it looks like your ball moved. You might want to see this before you hit. It might save you some grief later."

But since they do allow it, it is just one of those things that players have to deal with. Sucks for them, for sure. At least at this point the player can say that they didn't realize, and just have the penalty assessed and not be disqualified if it comes up after they sign the card. (In this situation, Tiger was told not to sign the card until he watched the video)

I would never call it in. It's up to the player to and officials to police the game.
This is truth! It's a game of integrity.

I wouldn't. I have too much self respect and (despite what some may think) I am not that self infatuated to think that "I need to make this right!"

Idiot losers who never got the acknowledgment from loved ones call in rules violations.

Back