Reaction score
big-bertha-alpha-815-DD-driver-sole-a-2014-5x7-L.png

Retail Date:
November 14, 2014
Pricing: $499.99
Availability: 9˚, 10.5˚

Maximum Distance From Extreme Low Spin

Product Intro:

Big Bertha Double Black Diamond is our “experts only” driver, the perfect choice if you need ultra low spin to maximize your distance. It’s made for players who hit the ball in the center of the face most of the time.

The face is lighter from RMOTO technology, and we use that leftover weight to move the CG low to reduce spin while also improving stability on mishits. In the Double Black Diamond, we’ve also added a taller Gravity Core so you can finely tune your spin and launch conditions. And the crown and shape of the deeper face is exactly what better players want to see.

If you’re good enough to play our lowest spinning driver, you’re going to get all the distance that goes with it.

big-bertha-alpha-815-DD-driver-sole-b-2014-5x7-L.png

Features & Benefits

Max Distance

- RMOTO: It saves over 3 grams of weight in the face that we used to help push the CG lower for elite players while also improving stability on mishits.

- Gravity Core: Our patented 3D CG adjustment lets you flip the core up or down, and the end result is a low or lower spinning driver, made for the most demanding players. We’ve increased the vertical CG change to give you the right amount of spin to maximize your distance. The “up” is even more up and the “down” is even more down in the gravity core.

- Multi Material Construction: All the best, most important driver technology has gone into this club. We’re talking the lowest CG, forgiveness, a hot face and more discretionary weight at our disposal.

Tour Premium Shafts
An Aldila Rogue 60 or new Matrix Ozik Black Tie 70, as well as a more comprehensive exotic shaft offering than anyone else -- and all these shafts are available at no extra charge. (See below for full list.*)

Tour Inspired Shape: A deep face and smaller footprint that Tour Pros love.

OptiFit Technology
- Callaway adjustability at its finest, with an adjustable hosel that lets you choose from a combination of 8 different loft (-1, S, +1, +2) and lie angle (Draw or Neutral) configurations.
- The adjustable heel and toe weights (1g and 5g) REALLY let you control your shot shape.

*No charge exotic premium shafts:
Mitsubishi Bassara 52
Matrix Ozik White Tie 50
Aldila Rogue 60
Matrix Ozik Black Tie 70
Fujikura Motore Speeder 565
Fujikura Motore Speeder 665
Fujikura Motore Speeder 765
New Mitsubishi Diamana 62
Matrix Ozik Red Tie 60
Fubuki ZT 60
Fubuki Z 50
Aldila Tour Green
Mitsubishi Bassara 42

Well I should have stopped at low spin lol.
Looks really sharp though.
And that's quite a list of no additional charge premium shafts

Not sure I"m good enough to play it...But I'd sure like to give it a few swings :)

Wow a few things stick out to me...

#1: The thing looks really cool.

#2: I am glad they are being very upfront about who this driver is for. Not me, that is for sure.

#3: For the price I am glad they are including all of the exotic shaft offerings, there are a TON

Oh my. Is this basically a special release or a full on one?

Double Black Diamond?

Looks really good. But not for me.

Oh my. Is this basically a special release or a full on one?

Full release.
Nice to see a company market a product for specific golfers...I seem to recall someone saying how this is needed in this industry.

Looks really nice

*Drool*

My goodness, I thought the original Alpha looked BA....this thing looks like it'll punch you in the mouth, steal your girl, then run you over. Must hit is the phrase I'm looking for, but I am far from an expert.

Ultra low spin excites me.
Hitting center of face *most* of time does not excite me.

Good looking offering with fantastic shaft options.

Hello. Extremely low spin? Hmmmm.

That is a really good looking driver.

Full release.
Nice to see a company market a product for specific golfers...I seem to recall someone saying how this is needed in this industry.

Gotcha. Will be interesting to see the comparisons between it and the alpha in terms of mishit forgiveness.

Ultra low spin excites me.
Hitting center of face *most* of time does not excite me.

Good looking offering with fantastic shaft options.

See the other thread sir.

Double Black Diamond?

I'm not sure about that name, but whatever.

I really like that they were direct in their marketing in terms of who this driver is made for. Big change from the V Series which they said was for "everyone that wants more distance" or something to that effect.

Really nice that they have such a big list of no-upcharge shafts. It takes the sting out of the $499 base price, I don't think there's a huge market for $499 drivers when people can get a lot of new models for $399 or $299.

Above my pay grade but damn that is one sexy looking club. I'll be willing to demo it though!

Awesome looking driver! Not for me though. I'm more of an intermediate slope guy, definitely not double black diamond.

Wow I agree that's a great list of optional shafts and the thing is very sexy to look at! While I am usually a confident driver I would be hesitant to bag it because I do like a little forgiveness on off center hits

A bit more info - this is all from Callaway of course.

5 Questions – Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver

1. What should we know about this driver?

It’s our “experts only” driver, made for the best players who want ultra low spin for maximum distance. These golfers create high ball speeds and usually make impact on the center of the face, so it’s a perfect choice for them.

2. Where does the extreme low spin come from?

RMOTO Technology saves over 3 grams of weight in the face, and we put that weight back into the club to push CG lower while also improving stability on off center hits. That’s key. Basically, the lighter weight in the face leads to more ball speed across the face, and we’ve moved the CG low for even more speed.

We’ve included the Gravity Core as well for our patented CG adjustment that lets you configure the core (and thus CG height) up or down. This can give you a low or lower spinning driver, and in Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond the Gravity Core is actually taller, giving you more spin differential (than the Alpha 815 Driver) between the low and high setting.

The “up” is even more up and the “down” is even more down, and we were able to achieve this by modifying the crown. As a result, you get the right amount of spin to maximize your distance, all without changing loft or face angle. It’s a great way for better players to tune launch conditions.

3. Since this is a driver for better players, does it have a deeper face?

Yes it does. This is a deeper face that Tour players prefer. The shape of the crown, smaller footprint and face angle at address all suit better players’ eyes.

4. What about adjustability and shaft options?

We’re giving you the best of both. The adjustability features 1 gram and 5 gram weight ports to shape your ball flight and an OptiFit hosel with 8-way adjustability for loft and lie angle.

The Tour Premium Shafts include an Aldila Rogue 60, Matrix Ozik Black Tie 70 and a more comprehensive list of no charge exotic shaft offerings than anyone. No charge! Not a typo!

5. Great. Anything else we should know?

This is the lowest spinning driver we’ve ever made. If you have the ball speed and launch conditions to match, you’re going to get all the distance that goes with it (and even a little forgiveness too).

It’s available online, including at callawaygolf.com, and in stores on 11/14, priced at $499.99. The loft options are 9° and 10.5°.

They should have named this the Canadan Swing Tamer :)

Wow. Holy options. I wish I found the center that often haha

Long name but I love the fact that they are screaming for me to stay away from this driver. Love all the shaft options as well considering this is aimed at players who have a very repeatable swing and the shaft options will likely make a larger impact.

And interest double peaked!!!! MUST HIT!!!!!

Full release.

I can't imagine which golfer would fit well into this driver head.........

Back