Following along to THP events

Periscopeing some of the live golf as its happening would help a lot IMO. I really understand the importance of live update threads not only for forum activity but for the OEM involved as well but Periscope is fun, easy, interactive and really puts people there on the course with you.

I like periscope...pictures get acrossfaster than words and you're there through your device.

Mostly through live update thread and agree it can get pretty diluted with banter. Pictures are awesome. Work with what you have. Good cell phone area is a bonus and makes it easier to update whatever medium you choose. You can usually tell if the event is in a bad area, the thread is sporadic.

Periscopeing some of the live golf as its happening would help a lot IMO. I really understand the importance of live update threads not only for forum activity but for the OEM involved as well but Periscope is fun, easy, interactive and really puts people there on the course with you.

It does. However it also takes viewers away from the sole place where the eye balls are counted and seen.
As you mentioned, the companies want to go back and read the live threads (and they all do it) and that eliminates that as well.

We have no problem with people (participants) doing what they want. Its not an obligation to post at events unless stipulated, like some seem to think. Do as much or as little as you would like. And we also see the want of Periscope being involved in some capacity (as we showed last week), but to give you an example.

A couple of hundred tune into a Periscope feed. Tens of thousands check out event threads from time to time.
Now if Periscope could be embedded, we would be all for it, it cant be however (not live). Meerkat can be, but struggles with a number of factors and we are working on it currently.

I prefer to follow along seeing posts and photos. Twitter and periscope are awesome for behind the scene stuff or post round things, but they're not something I at all like during.

If I'm not at a computer or at a place where I can sit and dedicate time to watching it, they go unseen until later. That's awful to me. If I see posts happening in the thread, I can look over those much faster and know exactly what's going on etc.
i see what your saying but why did every Periscope video from the Cali trip get more viewers than most live update threads get at one time? Im not saying one or the other because personally i think a mixture of both is the best option for all viewers, but the app makes Periscope videos easy to watch.

I like periscope...pictures get acrossfaster than words and you're there through your device.

Mostly through live update thread and agree it can get pretty diluted with banter. Pictures are awesome. Work with what you have. Good cell phone area is a bonus and makes it easier to update whatever medium you choose. You can usually tell if the event is in a bad area, the thread is sporadic.

Yea the signal strength in Pittsburgh at Olde Stonewall was terrible in some spots. made it hard to update as we went.

It does. However it also takes viewers away from the sole place where the eye balls are counted and seen.
As you mentioned, the companies want to go back and read the live threads (and they all do it) and that eliminates that as well.

We have no problem with people (participants) doing what they want. Its not an obligation to go to events unless stipulated, like some seem to think. Do as much or as little as you would like. And we also see the want of Periscope being involved in some capacity (as we showed last week), but to give you an example.

A couple of hundred tune into a Periscope feed. Tens of thousands check out event threads from time to time.
Now if Periscope could be embedded, we would be all for it, it cant be however (not live). Meerkat can be, but struggles with a number of factors and we are working on it currently.
I understand which is why i see your side of things. Not saying its wrong and im right. I think we both can agree that we all want more eyes on the events than just those participating in them

I understand which is why i see your side of things. Not saying its wrong and im right. I think we both can agree that we all want more eyes on the events than just those participating in them

Nailed it brother. We will continue to use both, because we think there is a want. Most of our stuff will stay on the website and some neat behind the scenes stuff will come to Periscope.

i see what your saying but why did every Periscope video from the Cali trip get more viewers than most live update threads get at one time? Im not saying one or the other because personally i think a mixture of both is the best option for all viewers, but the app makes Periscope videos easy to watch.

Random people can join periscope videos. And while live video is awesome, really stupid commentary can also leak into the video.

Take for example, when Chad had AJ getting bunker lessons from Roger Cleveland with the MD3. Awesome yes, but idiot commentators with their stupid hearts flood the screen, as well as try and tell Roger how his technique is wrong etc. It's annoying, and usually not funny.

Nailed it brother. We will continue to use both, because we think there is a want. Most of our stuff will stay on the website and some neat behind the scenes stuff will come to Periscope.

I really liked the periscope part of the PX event because everything that took place on the periscope was broken down on the forum as well. I think that's key. Have a nice little bonus visual coverage through periscope, but not exclude those only available to view the forum. I know the second the periscope was done that I went right back to the forum anyway, so I'm not sure the forum lost any eyes in the grand scheme of things.

Take if we do match up announcements for the Gauntlet like you guys did last year for example, that could be periscoped and updated live on the forum at the same time.

Hard to following along to all-day events on the weekend (or during the week for that matter), so the recap threads are usually a great place for me to catch up.

Random people can join periscope videos. And while live video is awesome, really stupid commentary can also leak into the video.

Take for example, when Chad had AJ getting bunker lessons from Roger Cleveland with the MD3. Awesome yes, but idiot commentators with their stupid hearts flood the screen, as well as try and tell Roger how his technique is wrong etc. It's annoying, and usually not funny.

I was watching that one and you're right I thought it was annoying. But that same person can create a THP account and flood an update thread with the same nonsense.
I hope this is being taken as good discussion and me not trying to push my opinion on anyone. I think your view on Periscope is accurate but to a point. We all watch golf on tv because it's fun to watch. Hardly any of us follow blogs waiting for updates. Why? Because it's more fun to see it live. Am I suggesting a few different hour long periscopes? Hell no. The app isn't made for that and until they have a rewind or fast forward feature I don't think videos longer than a couple minutes should be used. But I think having quick videos of updates or key putts or just asking the players on the course what's happening would be awesome to watch. Take this years Wilson event for instance. How cool would it be to see live video of a thper on a course striping his new iron he was fit to and asking him a couple quick questions about them and then asking the very guy that fit him to said irons a couple more questions. Who else could offer something like that? That would just be too cool imo

Live doesn't do as good a job IMO, and doesn't look as good. Not everyone performs very well once the red light comes on, especially if they're not used to it. Who wants to watch someone off their game, or stumble over an interview? One could record, edit, put on YouTube, and avoid the frustrations of live video.

So long as it's recorded, the viewers win. Live vs previously live really doesn't matter to me.

Question for JB while we're on the topic and before I get into trouble lol

What are the opinions of the parties involved on a Periscope during an event during a match? Use the gauntlet for this example. Obviously the same update will be posted in the live update thread, but if I wanted to periscope a hole or something, how would that be look at?

Live doesn't do as good a job IMO, and doesn't look as good. Not everyone performs very well once the red light comes on, especially if they're not used to it. Who wants to watch someone off their game, or stumble over an interview? One could record, edit, put on YouTube, and avoid the frustrations of live video.

So long as it's recorded, the viewers win. Live vs previously live really doesn't matter to me.
Me neither. Much better to put up a polished product where everyone looks good, as opposed to a video where people may trip all over themselves.

I'll admit, I'm not a good live updater. I'm usually trying to keep from throwing up all over myself (in a figurative sense, golf game wise) and not wanting to delay play any longer than necessary.

I was watching that one and you're right I thought it was annoying. But that same person can create a THP account and flood an update thread with the same nonsense.
I hope this is being taken as good discussion and me not trying to push my opinion on anyone. I think your view on Periscope is accurate but to a point. We all watch golf on tv because it's fun to watch. Hardly any of us follow blogs waiting for updates. Why? Because it's more fun to see it live. Am I suggesting a few different hour long periscopes? Hell no. The app isn't made for that and until they have a rewind or fast forward feature I don't think videos longer than a couple minutes should be used. But I think having quick videos of updates or key putts or just asking the players on the course what's happening would be awesome to watch. Take this years Wilson event for instance. How cool would it be to see live video of a thper on a course striping his new iron he was fit to and asking him a couple quick questions about them and then asking the very guy that fit him to said irons a couple more questions. Who else could offer something like that? That would just be too cool imo

I can promise you now, this will not be taking place. Why? Because their irons are VERY pre-release and any sighting at all would get THP in a WORLD of trouble. And each person will be signing their life away in NDA. :D

Question for JB while we're on the topic and before I get into trouble lol

What are the opinions of the parties involved on a Periscope during an event during a match? Use the gauntlet for this example. Obviously the same update will be posted in the live update thread, but if I wanted to periscope a hole or something, how would that be look at?

No trouble partner.
I dont think they will have an issue with it persay...But if it slows people down they might.

I guess I'll buck the trend and say I prefer reading through the thread over something like persicope for events. Though, I thought how periscope was used during the CA swing by JB and ddec was great. If it's a Thursday-Friday event I can usually follow along live-ish from my desk at work, but on the weekends I might be out on the course or somewhere that's hard to take it all in (Tapatalk being what it is and all).

I have really enjoyed being able to go back and "replay" the live thread as the day goes on. Last year's Grandaddy thread was a great example, with MWard and others providing updates the entire time. A lot of fun, even if I don't necessarily post in the threads.

I do enjoy have the option to go back and watch the Periscope. The live threads during the team events are a blast. The shaft events have had awesome Live Threads as well.

I can promise you now, this will not be taking place. Why? Because their irons are VERY pre-release and any sighting at all would get THP in a WORLD of trouble. And each person will be signing their life away in NDA. :D

I can see it now ...
redacted.jpg

Back