Driver loft angle.

I use the longest tee sold. Maybe an 5.5 or 6 inch

Ever thought teeing it up that high was part of the issue? That's insanely high

Obviously flipping the club like a fool. What ever my AoA. It's never been negative with the Driver. I honestly believe it was always above 5.

But will double check the next time I'm on the trackman

Just looked up my February session.

AoA

7.7, 6.0, 5.8, 4.9

After lesson making a controlled deliberate swing with SS in the 80's

1.8 to -2.5

So the lessons work by when I swing freely my AoA shots up above acceptable levels.

So till I fix the swing and get rid of the flip and cupped wrist I was thinking decrease the loft.

But what if I am wrong just an average hacker.

I would get a lesson first. Better to fix the set up or swing flaw before buying a new driver.

Well, I was fitted for a 10.5, went through some lessons, and now I'm with a 7.5 in the same head. I'm seeing a tiny bit more carry, but at lot more roll out. On average, I'm probably 15 yards longer. On perfect swings, I'm probably 25 yards longer. The problem with my previous set up was that even perfect swings were launching and spinning too much.

Truthfully, I could probably swing a 9.5 (dialed to 8 degrees), but my miss is a high launch/high spinner, so playing a 7.5 helps me eliminate that miss, or at the very least make it less penal.

My swing and my technique aren't perfect (obviously), but going with a stout shaft (black tie) and a 7.5 degree shaft has helped with my misses, and certainly added some roll out when compared to my 10.5.

Your situation sounds a little more extreme than mine. I'd start with a lesson. A tweak to your set-up and your balance might be all it takes to bring your launch down to something a little more reasonable, and then you can use some low-launch equipment to help bring you the rest of the way down.

It might not be a 6 month swing overhaul.

And I am assuming the change gave you carry and total distance.

This is my concern. I think I'm not getting any roll with a hit ballooning ball flight.

And yes I was fitted. They recommended 10.0* stiff flex.

But I'm seeing carry and total distance increase with 8.5* and extra stiff flex.

So I was a little confused.

Should I buy a 9.5* head and turn it down to 7.5*

Or a 10.5* head which can be turned down to 8.5*

Of course buying both would answer my question.

But it's cheaper to ask THP'ERS

Well, I was fitted for a 10.5, went through some lessons, and now I'm with a 7.5 in the same head. I'm seeing a tiny bit more carry, but at lot more roll out. On average, I'm probably 15 yards longer. On perfect swings, I'm probably 25 yards longer. The problem with my previous set up was that even perfect swings were launching and spinning too much.

Truthfully, I could probably swing a 9.5 (dialed to 8 degrees), but my miss is a high launch/high spinner, so playing a 7.5 helps me eliminate that miss, or at the very least make it less penal.

My swing and my technique aren't perfect (obviously), but going with a stout shaft (black tie) and a 7.5 degree shaft has helped with my misses, and certainly added some roll out when compared to my 10.5.

Your situation sounds a little more extreme than mine. I'd start with a lesson. A tweak to your set-up and your balance might be all it takes to bring your launch down to something a little more reasonable, and then you can use some low-launch equipment to help bring you the rest of the way down.

It might not be a 6 month swing overhaul.
I'm probably in your shoes. Since the purchase I have been playing and practicing regularly. I have been taking lessons and improving m6 swing.

The changes have made a huge difference, and have also made me a better player. Luckily for me these changes haven't required me to get brand new equipment, but the driver has now become a club which doesn't fit my new swing.

My first clue was the shape of the ball flight. It had started to balloon even in non windy conditions. Then I started to notice during dry conditions my wasn't getting any roll after it landed.

When I had a chance to check out my numbers the monitor confirmed my suspicion. To much launch angle and back spin.

I have since then been dialing down the loft and increased the stiffness of my shaft.

Like your self I have not seen a significant increase in the Carry distance. Usually 230 to 260. But I have seen a significant increase in roll 5 to 15 , up from zero to 5

I suspected others might have similar results. So I asked my THP'ER family.

The 8.5 is definitely better. I'm dialing down my 10.5 head. But was wondering if I should get the 9.5 head and dialing it down down to 7.5.

It does cover the needed range 9.5 to 7.5. But I could never imagine first of all needing a 7.5 loft with an extra stiff shaft. My SS isn't 115 or greater.

But my brief research has opened my eyes to the possibilities of individuals like myself. High launch high spin with sub 110 mpg swings.

I'm leaning towards the 10.5 degree head which when dropped to 8.5 opens the club face 3 degrees. I have a draw and prefer the club face open at setup.

But I might just have to wait until the swing changes take hold. They my result in need another driver altogether.

Or FleaBay. With the end of year price drops I could buy two clubs for less than the price of one 2016 driver.

Ponder is back and fully engaged

i didn't know it was possible have that positive of an aoa and have spin in the 4k range. i thought the reason most amateurs struggle with spin is that they're hitting down on their drives?

Launch angle 20* spin 4k with driver loft of 10.0 * and extra stiff shaft. SS 100 to 108

Desire launch angle 15-20 *

Spin 2k

Should I drop the loft on the driver to 8?
What shaft?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I must have broken the launch monitor.

Lol

But seriously you can see the ball ballooning in flight.

Don't get me wrong. Launch monitor do Help. Hello. I stripped one 291 baby draw down the center of the fairway. 50 yards passed my buddies. So if I Co clean up me act I would not be in ponder mode.

But most are 230. 250 yard ballooning pop Flys.

Ordered the 10.5. To drop it to 8.5. It should be my golden ticket to freedom. And no ballooning.

What shaft?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Aldila is the #1 Graphite Shaft in Play on Tour

Aldila VOODOO XVS7
Shaft: For DRIVER
Shaft Flex: X
Tip Size: .335
Shaft Weight: 76
Torque: 2.8
Shaft Length: 46"

An oldie but one of my personal favorite shafts.

The harder you swing the smoother it feels.

i didn't know it was possible have that positive of an aoa and have spin in the 4k range. i thought the reason most amateurs struggle with spin is that they're hitting down on their drives?

Lol

Don't get me wrong. Launch monitor do Help. Hello. I stripped one 291 baby draw down the center of the fairway. 50 yards passed my buddies. So if I Co clean up me act I would not be in ponder mode.

Ordered the 10.5. To drop it to 8.5. It should be my golden ticket to freedom. And no ballooning.

Lol

Ballooning? Too much spin ballooning? Or are you just speaking of hitting the ball high?

Ballooning? Too much spin ballooning? Or are you just speaking of hitting the ball high?
The too much spin type. Start low and then starts to climb at 200 yards then drops suddenly straight out of the sky like it ran out of stream.

Versus the parabolic flight of correctly launching a bomb with your driver. Bom!

Twirl your club and bow.

Driver yards via gps using Game golf and hand held devices

The too much spin type. Start low and then starts to climb at 200 yards then drops suddenly straight out of the sky like it ran out of stream.

Versus the parabolic flight of correctly launching a bomb with your driver. Bom!

Twirl your club and bow.

Im getting more and more confused, so I will just wait for the video. If its "starting" to climb at 200 and then landing at 230, something very weird is going on.

Hope you get it figured out brother.

Im getting more and more confused, so I will just wait for the video. If its "starting" to climb at 200 and then landing at 230, something very weird is going on.

I'm practice day and night. Lessons once a week.

But I don't think golf would be so hard.

Sarcasm.

Lol.

Tinker tinker ponder and play.

THP. All the way. Lol

36c8f3d91f867797968b9518532a84cd.jpg

These were the tee's I was using

Since a drivers face usually has a bulge if you are teeing really high and have the ball forward you are probably hitting the driver high on the face so closer to 12° loft then with a crazy positive AoA from the ball being too far forward you are increasing that loft more sound like if you are hitting left the club is possibly starting to close too.

At the range try teeing it up lower then line up to the ball with your feet together and the ball in line with your center then just move your back foot away from your other foot to shoulder width. I have seen a lot of people think they are lined up off the inside of their inside heal, but actually be off the toe or even on the outside of their foot.

Since a drivers face usually has a bulge if you are teeing really high and have the ball forward you are probably hitting the driver high on the face so closer to 12° loft then with a crazy positive AoA from the ball being too far forward you are increasing that loft more sound like if you are hitting left the club is possibly starting to close too.

At the range try teeing it up lower then line up to the ball with your feet together and the ball in line with your center then just move your back foot away from your other foot to shoulder width. I have seen a lot of people think they are lined up off the inside of their inside heal, but actually be off the toe or even on the outside of their foot.
Yes I was teeing the ball on regular tees off the instep this morning.

And yes with all the swing changes and equipment changes I shot an incredible 103.

I was trying to play like the LPGA ladies who use a positive AoA to increase their carry and total distance.
But I may have taken it a bit too far.

When I play with my club flipper swing and just focus on target I score in the mid 80's.

But I have committed to improve and will see how long it takes to get rid of the flip

That may be why I might be safe with a 7 degree driver because I would in fact be playing it at 10 degrees

Will post a video of the swing but unless it's a super slow motion still the wrist position is hard to see.

I'm on plane and have a decent release just no forward shaft lean. Therefore flipping to square the club face at the bottom.

Or at least that's what I keep telling myself. Lol

I don't think a 7° is the answer at all. In general if you were to take a 9° and dial it down to 7° you are also going to be having a more closed face too IIRC.

Of course JB. I could put my lovely swing on line.

But do you really want to risk crashing the Internet or Tap Talk.

Seriously. For the love of humanity. Let just leave that mummy buried.

Seriously.

Back