What's Your Strategy? Low Handicap vs High Handicap

I play my game, which as a 5 HC in this scenario should be pretty steady and consistent. Most 15+ HC'ers are going to be prone to a lot on inconsistency. If you play your game, and he plays consistent and wins, then you just tip your hat to him.

As I'd be the higher handicap in most cases, for me I simply need to play my game. If I make par, I have a good shot at winning the hole. If I make bogey, I have a good shot at halving the hole ... so my plan is to keep it in front of me and avoid the blowup hole where I'm pretty much guaranteed to give a hole away.

I agree with most here and just play your game. Also in match play one can always see how a given hole is going and know when more aggressive play is needed or not. And being the better player you should be able to make more of the harder shots (when needed). Aside from that imo just play your game and normally the higher player will be the one who has to catch up. If he does, well then, you push a little and if he still catches up you tip your hat and say nice job.

I'm usually the B player but you have to just play your game and be aggressive when you can be.

I've given strokes to guys who didn't need them and all I could do was play my game.

Heck last fall me and MichiganSlice went at it 4rounds stroke play and come Sunday I had to beat him by 11or12 that day to win. We weren't in the same group and all I could do was play my game and the course and hope it was good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cant really say for sure as I am a higher handicapper than player B. But in my mind I would just play my game and see where it goes. If I am playing to my ability thats all I can do.

I would just play my game. Make as many good shots as I can to try and frustrate my opponent and wait for them to make a mistake.

I'm of the opinion that our handicap system is designed more for stroke play than for Match Play but if all caps are honest (ESC incl.) It works either way. Usually the Victor just played better golf relative to his abilities that day.

Great round, I'll getcha next time!

Actually, it's just the opposite. The system is designed to work one on one or two on two far better than it does when it's one against a large mixed field. That's why any properly run stroke competition is flighted if there is more than a 3 or 4 stroke difference in handicaps.

Play conservatively and avoid mistakes. Your opponent is capable of blowing up from anywhere on the course so stay the course. Par is your friend.

OK ... Benjamin Martin! :act-up: LOL!

(movie reference here)

I play my game unless an issue arises on a particular hole. For instance if he pumps one OB on a par 5, I am a lot more likely to lay up on my 2nd shot than to try the hero shot and reach in two.

I am not good enough to drastically alter my approach depending on who I am playing.

You can't do anything else but play your game. Play hard, dig deep and hope you come out on top.

At the end of the day a handicap is there for a reason. Just like a batting average in baseball. Sure a guy might get hot for a month and bat .400 but if he's a career .280 hitter at the end of the year he's going to be damn near close to .280. Just like handicaps. If you're a 5 more than not you're going to play to a 5 and so on. However it is much more difficult for a lower cap to have a special day and go really vs a higher cap getting hot and shooting a handful of strokes below his handicap. Like others have said you can't try and over do things. Play your game and let the chips fall.

Same with Bracket Racing, do your thing. Do not worry about the opponent.

In theory, if both handicaps are accurate, the lower cap still has the advantage. I say you play your game and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree. I just play my game no matter what the other player is doing. Might change in the closing holes if I'm down and have nothing to lose.

First off, negotiation for strokes is vital. Give or take the wrong strokes and the match ends up lopsided. I can tell when it's fair because the match goes down to the last few holes.

I've been on both sides, meaning I've given and taken strokes, and it's a little harder when I'm giving strokes.

It's a game, sometimes I win, sometimes I lose, but if I don't want to lose every shot matters. That little putt could mean winning or losing the match.

Play your game and stay within yourself. Don't try to play above your own ability. That's a sure fire way to record an L instead of a W.
Good luck

@bigtazzGOLF
Sent from Big Orange country
using Tapatalk #GoVols

I agree w all who say, "Play your own game". It got you to where you are, just keep at it, whether you are the A or B player.

But my question to you is, going forward on future matches, what's your strategy vs a higher handicap that gets a lot of strokes? Do you play your game and let the chips fall as they may, or do you start firing at all the flags to force the issue? Do you wait for him to make a mistake with his inconsistency (reason for the high handicap) and then pounce? Of course you need to be in the position to win it when he is imploding. Keep hitting fairways & greens to keep the pressure on.

Handicaps are designed to show the potential of a player and keep matches even. You can't worry about how many strokes your opponent is getting; they are basically your equal with strokes. Play your game and don't do things you aren't comfortable with. Scoring in golf is not how many birdies you make but how many bogeys and worse you avoid.

Either way it's best to just play what you brought, for me when start tinkering and changing due to a person or handicap, I beat myself.

I just play my game.
I can't play defense against my opponent, so I have to depend on my game to stand up and hope that his falters a little in the end.

The high HC player can have a good day, but the high HC will always have a couple of blow up holes.

Player A has to just play his/her game. Player B has the propensity to blow up on more holes so Player A needs to play as steady as possible and take advantage of he opportunities.

I'm generally Player B and it was very weird when I was Player A in the summer league!

Play your game. As a low capper you will make less mistakes to take yourself out of the match, unless your playing a sandbagger.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back