Callaway XR Hybrid Review

It didn't make sense to me.. but I ordered both the 7W and 4H. I wanted to replace my RFE 7 wood and my Titleist 4H with the XR 4H. For me what was unexpected is the 4H went the same distance as the 7W. It could be any number of things from just hitting the 4H more solid due to the shorter shaft. In theory the 7W should have went further due to the 1 deg less loft and longer shaft but just didn't work out for me. I ended up keeping the 4H to replace my 7W and picking up the 5H to replace my 4iron/4hybrid. As will all things, only you hitting them both will know for sure what the case will be, but that was my experience.

It didn't make sense to me.. but I ordered both the 7W and 4H. I wanted to replace my RFE 7 wood and my Titleist 4H with the XR 4H. For me what was unexpected is the 4H went the same distance as the 7W. It could be any number of things from just hitting the 4H more solid due to the shorter shaft. In theory the 7W should have went further due to the 1 deg less loft and longer shaft but just didn't work out for me. I ended up keeping the 4H to replace my 7W and picking up the 5H to replace my 4iron/4hybrid. As will all things, only you hitting them both will know for sure what the case will be, but that was my experience.

I think you ran into something that XR Hybrid users refer to as "these things fly a country mile". The distance itself is impressive but when you add in the feel off the face and the majestic ball flight, you end up with a very complete package.

Had to see that 20% CPO and just ordered a #4 XR Hybrid. Such a nice swinging club. STOKED!

Just asked over in the J15 Hybrid thread, but has anyone had a head to head with the XR or XR pro H3 to the J15 H2? All things being equal which is closer to apples to apples the XR or XR pro to the J15? Great deals on the XR right now.

1st round with the XR 3 H, love this club. It was super easy to hit and the distance was right where I needed it, about 215 with solid swing. I did notice the PX shaft in stiff plays a bit softer than the LZ shaft (or maybe just different in the loading) and it does not like a rushed swing, but a good smooth tempo and the ball just rockets off the face. Great solid sound also.

Being my 1st Hybrid in a few years, I might have learned something here about what I need moving forward.

1st round with the XR 3 H, love this club. It was super easy to hit and the distance was right where I needed it, about 215 with solid swing. I did notice the PX shaft in stiff plays a bit softer than the LZ shaft (or maybe just different in the loading) and it does not like a rushed swing, but a good smooth tempo and the ball just rockets off the face. Great solid sound also.

Being my 1st Hybrid in a few years, I might have learned something here about what I need moving forward.

Nice Jim! They're really and truly rocket launchers.

Does this have more or less forgiveness compared to Ping G25/30?

In my opinion similar. Although I think it has less spin than the G30, with a higher ball flight, which for me has equated to more distance. The lateral forgiveness is similar.

Agreed, earlier this year I was intent on adding a g30 hybrid because I got on so well with the fairways, but then I hit one of these and saw a pretty hefty drop in spin but no issues into greens thanks to the launch angle and descent that I see. Both were definitely good hybrids, but for me the xr is just longer and more well rounded for my needs and wants.

Bumping this with CPO starting their BOGO sale. A great drive with my GBB left me right at the 200 marker on a par 5. Pulled the XR 4H and smoked it... over the green. Like flew the green. Stupid long. Tempted to pick up a 5H now.

Bumping this with CPO starting their BOGO sale. A great drive with my GBB left me right at the 200 marker on a par 5. Pulled the XR 4H and smoked it... over the green. Like flew the green. Stupid long. Tempted to pick up a 5H now.

Well sounds like you need a 200 yard club now so a 5h would be a good move :alien: seeing as your 4h is your 215 club now

Well sounds like you need a 200 yard club now so a 5h would be a good move :alien: seeing as your 4h is your 215 club now

I'm tempted. I just really like my 5i.

My email bogo offer said x2 hot only.

​With trade in I just paid $1.93 for a XR 4 and 5 hybrid plus a box of Supersoft balls. I placed the order over the phone and they said I would receive free return shipping on my trade in.
HOT DANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got the 3, 4, 5 and 6 hybrids off Callaway Pre-owned in a bogo special based on Hawk's review and talking to other people about them. Project-X 5.5 shafts. $325 total.

Looks like they are shipping quickly and hopefully will have them sometime next week. Not that I can get out and play for sure, but maybe.

Can't beat that price. Even with a hickory stick

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I would've done their cyber Monday BOGO deal but couldn't find any 5h anywhere. Instead I picked up a mint 4h off eBay for a great price. Thanks to everyone who posted here - I can't wait to try this out (really looking forward to dropping the 4 & 5 irons from my bag!)

I've been gaming the Ping G25's all year and love them. I am very consistent with them out of the fairway and off the tee. However the BOGO deals on CPO had me wondering about the XR Hybrids. So yesterday I went to my local Golfers Warehouse and hit the XR 19 side by side with my Ping G25, 20.

While I don't have the exact numbers, the XR was launching similar but with lower spin. However, I was amazed to see that XR was over 20 yards longer than my G25. While I understand the G25 is a 20 degree and the XR was a 19, I was very surprised there was this big of a difference. I understand that the shafts were different, so there is a chance that the Project X Shafts are a better fit.

Ended up ordering two hybrids yesterday and will compare them side by side on the course before making a final decision.

So of all the clubs I hit this week, the XR 4 and 3 hybrid were the most surprising for me. I hit the Apex UT and Apex 4 Hybrid and the XR was honestly 30 yards further. The fitter was just as shocked as I was at how good of a fit the 4H was for me. I'll be the first to say I was wrong about a hybrid going in my bag. I was convinced it was going to be UT. Nope. The XR 4H is a killer club for me and will stay in my bag until I break it

Did anybody compare these to x2hot pro? Having hard time finding the 23 degree x2hot

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did anybody compare these to x2hot pro? Having hard time finding the 23 degree x2hot

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As close as your going to get performance wise to match.

Range session on Trackman today. Compared XR hybrid #5 at 25* with Mizuno JPX 850 #4 at 22*. XR is as long as the mizuno. Even when shaft is 1" inch shorter and loft is 3* more. Guess I have to get me a XR OS at 22*..could be magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Range session on Trackman today. Compared XR hybrid #5 at 25* with Mizuno JPX 850 #4 at 22*. XR is as long as the mizuno. Even when shaft is 1" inch shorter and loft is 3* more. Guess I have to get me a XR OS at 22*..could be magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The XR is a good one. I hit it against the XR OS this past week and the XR beat it by a decent margin for me.

OS22*
76 mph swing speed
111mph ball speed
19.2 launch
4346 backspin
160 carry
177 total
11.5 yds absolute dispersion

XR22*
77 mph swing speed
112 mph ball speed
18.7 launch
3988 backspin
166 carry
183 total
9 yds absolute dispersion

Still want to test it outdoors before writing the OS off. High launching clubs always seems to work better for me than what a simulator shows.

I'll be interested to see how the OS compares to the XR in my bag. The XR is an awesome club for me and I will have it in the bag until I break it

Back