Callaway XR Pro Irons Preview Thread

sa7gtk7auyud.jpg

And you can get the Recoil 660/680 in the Pro's for no up, or so I have been told.

And you can get the Recoil 660/680 in the Pro's for no up, or so I have been told.

I almost ordered the Recoils but in the end I liked the feel of the KBS Tour V's better. Or maybe the KBS was just a more familiar feel. My buddy ordered the Recoils so I will have many opportunities to compare this summer.

Frothing at the idea of a Tour-V + XR Pro Iron setup. It sounds too good to be true.

I had never hit the Tour V before today, but I LOVED the combo. So much so that I've already been working on getting my wife to give the go ahead to place an order.

Frothing at the idea of a Tour-V + XR Pro Iron setup. It sounds too good to be true.
You know someone with some. If they'd ever get off their a$$, that is.

I was thinking more like 110. I want to go lighter.
Interesting. Well you hit the 110 very well if I recall correctly

I took 4...FOUR swings with the XR Pro 7 iron today at Golf Galaxy and holy drool batman. I went straight to GG from my chiro appointment where he worked on my arm--and I was wearing jeans and boots. My first swing felt like a half swing, but man did it explode off the club face. I won't comment on distance as I don't trust the sim at GG without my current 7 iron for comparison, but if it was anywhere near accurate, it was right on par with my Apex (with a 1/2 or 3/4 swing).

Then my second swing felt really good, caught it clean, and it went about 30 yards further than the first. The final two I tried to go after and saw similar results. I caught the last one out on the toe, it leaked out to the right, but not ugly, and didn't lose much distance at all.

The demo had the stock KBS Tour V90 Stiff shaft, and I thought it was a good combo after my 4 swings. And I put it down before I knew I'd be walking out with a set. Ponder on.

had a similar experience today, was in GG to get a putter re-gripped, and saw the Pro 7 iron. I said what the heck, so just walk into the bay and hit 2-3 very average shots, and get solid distance(145-155), then last 3 swings i make a little more of a normal speed swing and get 167, 167, 171. Need to hit these outside against my 545s, and i liked the Tour V 90s by the way.

Interesting comparison. One of these clubs is the Callaway XR Pro. One is a Mizuno MP-15. Guess which one is the Callaway.

2c939a7c5a32aacef921b314810a3fe5.jpg

I'll guess the Callaway is on the right because of the shorter hosel.

I was very surprised to see the XR Pro seemed to be shorter heel to toe then my Mizunos.

I got the chance to hit these at the range tonight. Its a range with mats so I will wait to hit off of grass before I give my full thoughts, but they certainly performed as they had in my fitting.

The pairing with the KBS Tour-V was right on with what I wanted, high and strong. I was nervous going from the 130g KBS Tour to the 90 gram Tour-V, so the 110g Tour-V was as much an experiment as it was intentional. With the trend down to lighter shafts, I am looking forward to more time on the course.

I still have to get used to the feel. I have been playing forged irons for quite some time so moving back to cast as a primary gamer will take some getting used to. I am not compaining, the ball was crisp with a nice weighty feel at impact.

I didnt try and work them too much, but they seemed to want to go straight, real straight.

I will have more input in a few days once I hit the course.

I was very surprised to see the XR Pro seemed to be shorter heel to toe then my Mizunos.

I got the chance to hit these at the range tonight. Its a range with mats so I will wait to hit off of grass before I give my full thoughts, but they certainly performed as they had in my fitting.

The pairing with the KBS Tour-V was right on with what I wanted, high and strong. I was nervous going from the 130g KBS Tour to the 90 gram Tour-V, so the 110g Tour-V was as much an experiment as it was intentional. With the trend down to lighter shafts, I am looking forward to more time on the course.

I still have to get used to the feel. I have been playing forged irons for quite some time so moving back to cast as a primary gamer will take some getting used to. I am not compaining, the ball was crisp with a nice weighty feel at impact.

I didnt try and work them too much, but they seemed to want to go straight, real straight.

I will have more input in a few days once I hit the course.

Good to hear that you like the Tour V's as I ordered them with mine. My current set of FG V2s has the KBS Tours but the Tour V's seemed to have a very similar feel. I'm anxious for mine to arrive but I still don't have any shipping info 10 days after I ordered them. It's going to be fun to hopefully hit another GIR or two with these very forgiving irons.

Good to hear that you like the Tour V's as I ordered them with mine. My current set of FG V2s has the KBS Tours but the Tour V's seemed to have a very similar feel. I'm anxious for mine to arrive but I still don't have any shipping info 10 days after I ordered them. It's going to be fun to hopefully hit another GIR or two with these very forgiving irons.
I really like the feel of the Tour V. I'm coming from PX Flighted. Been getting solid #'s from them (indoor only) but really liking them a lot. Nice flight and dispersion much better. Can't wait to get them on the grass.

I want to hit these with my beloved DG Pros in them.

Oops wrong thread my apologies

I was thinking more like 110. I want to go lighter.

The Tour V's you had in the Apex Pros I sold you were 110s, correct?

I was in Golfsmith today and took a few tips with this one. A couple of things stood out

1. The pro head is bigger than I anticipated. (In a good way)

2. The ball jumps/feels great off the face. I saw respectable numbers and really go me thinking about these.

FWIW, mine showed up today and I never received a shipping notice.

Hit this again at golfsmith. Swing was very inconsistent and didn't feel natural. The forgiveness in these really showed.
75f49aa0062260da5bf851e46a339b3b.jpg

Great launch, ball speeds, and spin rates. With 50%bonus trade in at golfsmith, I traded in enough to walk out with these ordered with no out of pocket cost :) 3 to aw with kbs tour v 110g stiff.

I went to PGA SS again today and tried the stock shaft, DG Pro and 110g Tour V. Funny, after 15 years of golf, I was told I should be playing irons +1/2 and at 5'10.5" I've always thought I was standard but I do grip my clubs at the VERY end. Anyway, I was getting very similar numbers with the DG Pro and Tour V. SS with 7i at 85-89 mph, the distance was 185-200, way longer than outdoors with my current irons but they felt really good. The stock shaft I was pulling or hooking a lot more than the other two, similar to my current irons so I think I need a tad heavier shaft than the 90-100 grams that I've been trying. The spin was much lower with the Tour V but both felt really nice. I with they had a C-Taper Lite shaft to try for the higher trajectory/spin but regardless, they were long and straight on the monitors. I need to build up my golf purchasing budget again but these will be my next set of irons.

Back