Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 Irons Review Thread

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I am really excited to share some thoughts and photos on the Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 irons. They are the follow up release to the FG Tour V4 irons which were enjoyed quite a bit by THPers (specially I remember some great shots played with them at THP Legacy!). They boast a relatively subtle cavity with centralized weighting along tungsten inserts that are moved to the heel and toe on the longer irons (4, 5) and placed in a more centralized location on the 6 and 7 irons. The overall badging along with the colour selection really provide the golfer with a subtle experience, and I quite like that.

Key Notes by Wilson
  • TUNGSTEN WEIGHTING 20 grams of tungsten, split heel and toe in the long irons and centered on the mid irons, lower the center of gravity and provide optimal forgiveness across the iron set
  • IMPACT AREA MASS Maintains a solid, muscle back-like feel and workability, but with a back cavity design to provide feedback and forgiveness on off-center hits
  • FORGED FEEL The 8620 carbon steel is forged for the ultimate in feel, feedback and response. The V6 Irons are clad in a nickel-chrome plating, a high-end mirror finish and completed with True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT shafts

Click here for a fantastic discussion by Michael Vrska from Wilson Golf, talking about the FG Tour V6 Irons on the THP Homepage
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/wilson-staff-fg-tour-v6-irons-preview/

In Hand Photos

0923161621e-XL.jpg

0923161621a-XL.jpg

0923161620f-XL.jpg

0923161612-XL.jpg

0923161612f-XL.jpg

0923161613c-XL.jpg

Hit these at #StaffProto and these WILL be in my bag, soon. Its not an option.

The launch I saw, particularly off of the long irons (5/6) was stellar for me, and the feel is phenomenal.

Cant say Ive hit the previous generation, but man oh man those look sexy

WOW those look really really good.

I bet they looked amazing in person

I'll dare say that these are best looking w/s iron I have ever seen. I'm not a blade guy so these are right in my wheelhouse. Just fantastic looking. They really nailed it in looks department. Can't wait to hear some early feedback from those at the W/S event last weekend.

As Canadan mentioned in the 1st post, there is a fun THP TV spot with Michael Vrska talking tech on the home page as well as a gallery of more in hand pictures.

My goodness.. Wilson Staff just gets it in the looks department. These are beauties.

These are some fantastic looking irons. Very compact head, classic shape, shiny chrome. If you are in the market for a players iron this upcoming season, find a way to hit these. You will not be disappointed.

Dang. I was loving on some F5 irons the other day but these look great. Can't wait to see these in-store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feels good to be able to talk about these now. Hit them on the range at #StaffProto and they are FANTASTIC. Excellent feel, and as Jman says below, the long iron launch is pretty astounding for an iron of this profile. Those heel and toe tungsten weights do wonders. Feel is incredible, and they just look sultry. Just enough modernity to make them unique, but really a classic looking and feeling iron for the most part.

Hit these at #StaffProto and these WILL be in my bag, soon. Its not an option.

The launch I saw, particularly off of the long irons (5/6) was stellar for me, and the feel is phenomenal.

And I'm including a pic I wasn't allowed to post yet from #StaffProto haha :D You can really see the tungsten weights showing up in the long irons vs the short in this photo (top iron is a 5, bottom is a 9)

bc0d8f4a6ebda4967da3ffbd658e8e0a.jpg

These are nice....

I had a chance to hit these last week at the #Staffproto event. They are as solid as any iron I have ever hit. The V6 is also one of the sexiest irons I have ever seen as well. I wish my game was in a place that I could bag these beauties. If you are in the market for a players iron then these are for you.

I was fortunate to get these before the weekend to be able to discuss the performance after a couple days of golf. One of the first things I noticed about the V6 irons is how good they respond to shots and overall feedback. On the button, I think they could rival most of the irons out there in a similar category when it comes to 'feel' and sound, which is pretty impressive. My assumption is that "Impact Area Mass" is a hugely important component of maintaining that high end MB style feeback in the hands and ears. When you have the subtle cavity style of the V6, it seems like you're gaining a modicum of forgiveness without sacrificing a ton of responsiveness.

Starting out on the range Saturday morning, I grabbed the "G" wedge after removing my 50* MB style wedge from the bag. I am a pretty firm believer in playing the most forgiving head possible, and I rarely try and navigate my ball with the 50 degree, so having the set G is big bonus for me. While I can't speak for all companies, this seems to be a relatively uncommon thing at this profile to include the G wedge, but it was commented on during the weekend and I'll agree completely -- It's awesome to have the option.

The AMT are such an interesting shaft overall, and make for a nice combo with the FG Tour V6 irons. I was getting a pretty solid peak height from the short irons into the mid irons, getting some 'zip' with a bit of back spin on a few shots into par 3s and off little hills which really helps me personally in owning certain numbers. I think the flighting leveled off well into the high irons without losing all of my greenside stopping power off the 6-5-4 irons.

There wasn't much time spent working the ball, but any effort to manipulate flight was received well with these heads. I've always been a straight forward kind of player and I didn't have much trouble keeping the ball on the path i wanted. A nice sample of workability came on the 18th hole in both rounds. I had a 4 iron and a 7 iron that I wanted to roll over (start right finish left) because of the green shape and trouble right. Both irons include that tungsten weighting (7 central, 4 perimeter) and both responded beautifully with mid flight tiny draws that resulted in good looks with the putter.

These look great!

What a good looking iron. Wow.

Those are some seriously good looking sticks. Really cool THP'ers got to hit these before anyone else and sounds like the reviews are very good. Really hope W/S keeps trending up.

Those are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to be able to test some of the stuff you get to hit like this!!!! I know I wouldn't be able to do them the justice that you do, however, so swing away and continue to impress!

Right? Seems like they really worked on cleaning up the overall profile from their previous release while adding some quality elements.

They knocked it out of the park with the looks. Tech sounds legit too. Is the the iron the tour players are using? I thought I heard that but might be wrong.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these.

My only problem is that I really effing love my current irons, but I also really love the looks of these, and (from limited experience) the performance as well - they actually seem easier to launch in the long irons than the DF's. I want a set but I just can't justify it after only having these a year (by the time of release).

This is an outstanding looking iron well done Wilson. Can't wait to get some swings in with this one

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They knocked it out of the park with the looks. Tech sounds legit too. Is the the iron the tour players are using? I thought I heard that but might be wrong.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on these.

I believe quite a few of their tour staff played the V4, and their comments regarding the V6 are very positive. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see some serious tour presence out of the V6.

I loved the V4's. And will watch this very closely. Happy to see a sporty look to these!

This picture.....

i-ThzwjBB-XL.jpg

Back