2015 Gauntlet Recap & Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This past weekend, the 2015 Gauntlet was held and it is part of the THP Major Series. To say it lived up to the hype would be an understatement and THP put together a fun video showing off the fun that was had by all. It was only fitting to use the music chosen as it became a theme on multiple occasions including the 1st tee on Sunday.

This therad will be used for all of the recaps and memories from the event and for those that missed the Live Update Thread and want to read about everything that took place, check it out here.

Bahahaha great music selection JB! Too funny!

The only song that was appropriate for the recap video. Love it!

Oh my god how great is that song hahahaha

Great video..perfect song!

Looked like one hell of an event. I know y'all enjoyed every minute of it.

Music was absolutely perfect!

My ears are bleeding, but that video was awesome. LOL at two fisted drinkers rejoice haha.

What a great song choice, and so many amazing photos, what an incredible experience for you all!

Wow that is awesome! I have the chills now thinking about this weekend. Recap to come soon...need to process everything that went down this weekend!

Stupid TT won't let me open the video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid TT won't let me open the video

So go through your phone's web browser.

life goal

That song though. Awesome recap video, will need to finalize this recap and get it in here soon.

Great video!

fan friggin' tastic

Awesome video! Working on my recap now. What a weekend.

Looks like a great time and judging from the update thread it was an action packed weekend. Lots of fun had between those that were there for sure.

Wow that was awesome

Sweet recap!

Welp, my day is made

What a great recap video and song choice.

Following along was a ton of fun and can only imagine what it was like in person.

Congrats again to TeamJrod & #PhillyVMVP!

That was awesome!

That video is AWESOME!!!! Great music choice too!

That event looks like it was so much fun....great work everyone! And congrats again to team JRod!!!

Oh man…#TheGauntlet. I’m not sure I can really put into words how truly honored I was to be a part of this event, but I’m going to try. Sorry in advance if this gets long. It was an absolute blast from start to finish, and I didn’t want it to end. The cool thing about it, neither did the #zoocrew. They were having as much if not more fun than any of us were at the event, and that is so cool to see.

People recap:

To the fellow participants: All of you THPers, you guys are awesome. What a great group of guys that assembled on the hollow grounds of Cog Hill and took over the lobby of that poor Hyatt Friday and Saturday nights. I can truly say I made a bunch of new friends from this event, and I don’t think a single person there can say they didn’t have a great time. So much fun with each and every one of you.

To the #zoocrew: You guys are a riot. I got to meet each and every one of them, and man they are such a good group of people. Jrod, Rhi, Ethan, ScottyG, DNevs, and AJ…you guys are awesome, and you really helped make this event truly special. This event is nowhere close to what it was without you crazy animals. Thank you for coming, and thank you for just being awesome people.

To Arnold Palmer…err…RFC: I’m not sure there could be a cooler golfing legend out there. RFC rocked that event and was such a down to earth guy to be around. So easy to talk to, would answer any question you had, and would joke around with everyone as well. He ended up giving me one big tip about rotating my forearms that I was able to use a lot on Dubs on Sunday. It was an honor to meet you Roger.

To my team: mward, adamw, and captain Dnevs. Such a good team and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] place isn’t too shabby. Unfortunately everyone ran into the team JRod buzz saw on Sunday and there was no recovering. It was a blast this weekend and I was honored to be part of the team!

To JB, GG, and 441 (and whoever else helped as well): Thank you. This event was by far the best golfing experience I have ever had in my entire life. Thank you for putting this together and letting me be a part of it.

To the hotel staff: Thanks for putting up with us on those nights, and thanks for the cookies.

Event recap:

Friday:

Spoiler
Started off with a warm up round at Ruffled Feathers right by cog hill with AdamW and Wadesworld. Great start to the weekend and it was a good prep going into the weekend rounds. After that I headed over to the hotel and got to meet a bunch of new THPers for the first time, and Ward got to meet me again as well. It was perfect timing as a bunch of the #zoocrew were just getting there as well, so I got to meet most of them and talked with AJ on our elevator ride up to the rooms.

Friday night’s event was dinner at Giordano’s. Chicago deep dish baby. Got to sit next to #zoocrew Jrod at dinner, and of course it’s as entertaining as it sounds. The man is just a non-stop good time as long as you have thick skin haha. The biggest part of dinner was the pairings announcements for the Saturday round, which ended up drawing the best match up I could have asked for. Mward and Myself vs. PhillyV and Nick_Pingel. Awesome.

After dinner we all headed back to the hotel and hung out consuming adult beverages until late into the morning. Such a fun night getting to know everyone, and in the end the hotel lady surprised us with cookies to cap it off. The late nights at the hotel were probably one of the best parts of the entire event.

Saturday:

Spoiler
Saturday started off with me barely being able to move. Too much fun the night before almost derailed the whole weekend for me. Got sick at the hotel, just made it to the course on time, and had a throbbing headache the whole day…and it was one of the best days of my life. First we went to the short game area and got weducated by Roger fricken Cleveland. He’s the man, was very straight forward, and everything he talked about was super easy to understand and immediately incorporate into my game. We then got to pick up our wedges and get some practice in before we warmed up for the round that day. In short…the MD3’s are incredible. I was chipping onto one of the greens while RFC walked around, and then he came up to me and said my grip was perfect (I can die happy now). He said there was just one thing that I could do that would help some things out, so he had me rotate my forearms a bit more on the take away, which helped set the club and make contact easier…it worked.

Then we warmed up and headed out to the first tee. Our group on Saturday was mward, phillyV, and pringles (nick_pingel). I would play with that group any day. When we got that announcement on Friday night, Phil and I looked at each other and immediately knew it was going to be epic. The match had SO much good golf played by all 4 of us it was insane. Back and forth all day long, and I think the most anyone was ever up was by 2. All 4 of us played to our HC or better, and it came down to the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] green, where Wardy sunk a 6 foot birdie putt to halve the match. Fitting end, as neither side really deserved to lose after the way we all played. Seriously one of the best rounds of my life.

After the round we went to Top Golf, which if you ever have the chance to do…do it. So much fun, we had half a floor reserved for us, and everything was on point there. Food, drinks, company…everything. The periscopes were on point, everyone was having a blast, and it was the perfect end to an amazing Saturday…well almost end. After top golf was night 2 of taking over the hotel lobby. More adult beverages, more fun, more laughs, college football…and cookies.

Sunday:

Spoiler
Sunday was the biggest day for golf. A point a hole. This was going to decide the winner, and I ended up getting there early to warm up and spend a lot of time on the practice greens. My matchup on Sunday was THP JRod and #zoocrew Ethanator vs. Adamw and myself. It was great to get in a round of golf with those guys, and once again, it was a pretty back and forth affair. We took a point on the first hole, but JRod and Ethan got up 2 points after I believe 7 or 8 when I missed an easy par putt to halve the hole. After that it was completely tied the rest of the way and ended 10-8. Unfortunately this kind of took us out of it, but no one else had a chance that day the way #zoocrew Jrod and eventual MVP PhillyV were playing. They crushed it and deservedly took home the hardware because of it. Thus unfortunately ended the best golfing weekend I think anyone could ever ask for.

It was hard to leave after everything ended, and I’m not sure anyone wanted to. It was such an amazing weekend. Thank you again to everyone involved. I just hope I get to partake in something else involving the #Zoocrew in the future, as they are such an amazing group of people to hang around.

Back