TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I really like this club. On the last hole today I hit one high out on the toe and it still flew great. I really think this driver takes everything that was good about the SLDR and is much improved where it's predecessors were bad.

Was waiting for the snow to melt here in Colorado yesterday so I went to my local GS, who have just refurbished including some new GC2 Foresight simulators, to swing some of the new drivers.

Started with the King LTD (one word, disappointing) then tried the M1 ... HOLY CRAP. Was hitting the 460 w/ Kuro Kage TiNi 60g shaft and it was going 300 without even trying. Had one of the staff guys double check the settings, they were normal for our mile high altitude. Went out to the the car and got my Razr-Fit 8.5° (which I love cause I crush it), well all I can say is DAMN!!

With the same swing speeds (99-103mph) I was AVERAGING 15 yards more carry and 19 yards more overall with the M1. Best drives = 291 vs. 329! I was getting avg launch angle of 14.5 & 2,000 rpm with the M1 with some in the 1,650-1,800 range, the RF was averaging 2,800. I spent more time and went back and forth and the numbers remained the same.

I even tried the XR (unhittable for me), D2, BB and R-15 for comparison (all in same range as my Razr-Fit).They didn't have demos for the 816 DBD and the King LTD Pro, but at this point I'm not sure that matters. I also tried the Fujikura shaft in the M1 (didn't fit me at all) and a 430 9.5° which had too of a trajectory.

I was so excited I forgot to take a picture of the numbers. I'm going to take a breather and go back Monday or Tuesday after work and give it another go but I woke up this morning and my first thoughts were about the possibilities with the M1 :D I haven't paid full price for a driver in about 8 years, but I think I'm about to ...

329 is monstrous at 100mph. Very impressive!

It does shock me that you're seeing a nearly FORTY yard gap between R15 and M1. That says a lot about their club design in a single release.

329 is monstrous at 100mph. Very impressive!

It does shock me that you're seeing a nearly FORTY yard gap between R15 and M1. That says a lot about their club design in a single release.
That's crazy deep. I'd love to hear what his ball speeds were. My swing speed hovers between 100-102 and ball speed numbers about 150-154 and I get about 270-280 of carry.

I get ball speed numbers of about 155 and can on occasion get close to that distance simply because I play at 5000 feet in the desert where the ball rolls forever. If the conditions are right that kind of distance is possible at that swing speed.

Played a 9 hole executive course by me as a result of a 65* day in November yesterday.

Was only able to hit the driver on 2 of the 9 holes and I wasn't swinging my best due to being sore from soem turkey day football. However, with an effortless swing this thing took off like a rocket. High and straight. Just stayed in the air forever and rolled a good 15 yards leaving me a shirt pitch on and another not as far due to a poor swing but still in play.... This driver is very forgiving!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

That's crazy deep. I'd love to hear what his ball speeds were. My swing speed hovers between 100-102 and ball speed numbers about 150-154 and I get about 270-280 of carry.
Sorry was just really excited to post results so didn't give complete info.

As I got warmed up swing speed increased to 105mph range and ball speed in the 155mph range. I'm definitely going to demo this club at another place to verify figures but I was hitting my driver well at the same time and I don't think I can argue with the M1 carry numbers matching my Razr-Fit's TOTAL yards no matter what machine it's on.

I hit this yesterday and left underwhelmed. Lots already in the used racks. Don't think this is the answer for tm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hit this yesterday and left underwhelmed. Lots already in the used racks. Don't think this is the answer for tm

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It might not be TM's answer but its definitely been the answer to my driver woes. My wife had the same reaction she didn't like it as much as her Adams XTD driver. I don't think any one club can fit every person.

The Fuji Six and this head are the best combination I have had so far, both for distance and dispersion and forgiveness. Instead of just pulling the driver on the tee I am now having to look at the hole and work out how far dog legs and hazards are then taking my 3 wood if they are in driver range or if I am going to go through the faiway. I have not had to do that before. It isn't all down to the M1 but a lot of it is. People I have played with before are commenting on the difference they are seeing in my drives, having gamed this for 6 - 8 weeks now the honeymoon is well over.

It might not be TM's answer but its definitely been the answer to my driver woes. My wife had the same reaction she didn't like it as much as her Adams XTD driver. I don't think any one club can fit every person.

The Fuji Six and this head are the best combination I have had so far, both for distance and dispersion and forgiveness. Instead of just pulling the driver on the tee I am now having to look at the hole and work out how far dog legs and hazards are then taking my 3 wood if they are in driver range or if I am going to go through the faiway. I have not had to do that before. It isn't all down to the M1 but a lot of it is. People I have played with before are commenting on the difference they are seeing in my drives, having gamed this for 6 - 8 weeks now the honeymoon is well over.
I have also been gaming the M1 for the past few weeks and could not agree more.

My longest drive was 288. With most between 250 and 270. A very straight flight not affected by the wind as much as other drivers I have owned.

But to each his own. At 50 plus I am very happy kicking the ball 2 and a half football fields down the fairway. In fact this is the longest I have ever driven the ball in thirty years.

Have I been taking lessons. Yes. Has my swing changed over the past few months. Yes.

But has the M1 made a huge difference. No doubt about it.

As a result I'm now working almost exclusively on my chipping and putting since the long game is currently the strongest part of my game. IMHO

Happy Holidays

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My longest drive was 288. With most between 250 and 270. A very straight flight not affected by the wind as much as other drivers I have owned.

But to each his own. At 50 plus I am very happy kicking the ball 2 and a half football fields down the fairway. In fact this is the longest I have ever driven the ball in thirty years.

Have I been taking lessons. Yes. Has my swing changed over the past few months. Yes.

As a result I'm now working almost exclusively on my chipping and putting since the long game is currently the strongest part of my game. IMHO

Happy Holidays

Looking at your signature I'd go and try the 3 wood as well, you might be surprised.

Happy Holidays

That's what its all about right there my friend. Its also why I like to keep a couple drivers in the stable. Sometimes a tiny change to a driver that also works makes all the difference in the world!

I'm looking forward to your updates as the next season approaches as I doubt I'll be hitting this one on course for a couple months. Will have to live vicariously through you guys!

Happy Holidays

Sounds like you have had an awesome experience with this club. One of the things I really like about the M1 when I have hit it in simulators is how confident I feel with it. Would love to game this thing.

I have had the M1 in the bag for 6 weeks and absolutely loving it. I am 56 and have been getting the ball out there 250 to 270 and keeping it in play. Easily 15 yards longer than my R15 on ave. only problem is I blew my back out and haven't been able to swing it in the last 10 days... Driving me nuts.

Just got home from the course. December golf in Illinois? I'LL TAKE IT! Anyway, I love my M1 more each round. Today I hit every fairway that I hit driver on...a nice, tight baby draw.

I've owned mine for around two months or so now. According to game golf stats, all rounds played I have averaged 242 yards hitting 57% of fairways, the last five rounds I have averaged 247 yards off the tee with my M1 hitting 58% of fairways. Last week, I got a lucky bounce on a slightly downhill hole with the ball stopping in the first cut at 302 yards!! When I got fitted I was around 90MPH swing speed, I am guessing that has increased a little. I think the combination of trying different shafts and seeing the variances in them and knowing I have the best one for my swing is adding to the confidence. Previous drivers I've messed with loft / weight and shafts and tinkered, this thing I'm playing exactly as it was at the fitting.

I wasn't swinging at all well last round and caught a few out the heel, ball flew out left then cut back right and distance loss was minimal. I've never played a TM driver before so have no comparisons to different models but this just flat out works for me. I can not see anything replacing this for a long time. I can still lose it out right at times but those big banana slices are getting less and less.

I've owned mine for around two months or so now. According to game golf stats, all rounds played I have averaged 242 yards hitting 57% of fairways, the last five rounds I have averaged 247 yards off the tee with my M1 hitting 58% of fairways. Last week, I got a lucky bounce on a slightly downhill hole with the ball stopping in the first cut at 302 yards!! When I got fitted I was around 90MPH swing speed, I am guessing that has increased a little. I think the combination of trying different shafts and seeing the variances in them and knowing I have the best one for my swing is adding to the confidence. Previous drivers I've messed with loft / weight and shafts and tinkered, this thing I'm playing exactly as it was at the fitting.

I wasn't swinging at all well last round and caught a few out the heel, ball flew out left then cut back right and distance loss was minimal. I've never played a TM driver before so have no comparisons to different models but this just flat out works for me. I can not see anything replacing this for a long time. I can still lose it out right at times but those big banana slices are getting less and less.
Good to hear. Minimizing those misses and rewarding well struck balls is all you can ask for.

What arrived in the mail yesterday?!?! None other than a M1 10.5° driver with the Kuro Kage TiNi 60 shaft - Merry Christmas to ME! The only problem is the weather's a bit sketchy today, 20+mph winds right now but hopefully will calm down some this afternoon so I can get it on the range. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow & I took a 1/2 day so I could play with it before the bad weather comes in. I'll let you know how it goes ...

What arrived in the mail yesterday?!?! None other than a M1 10.5° driver with the Kuro Kage TiNi 60 shaft - Merry Christmas to ME! The only problem is the weather's a bit sketchy today, 20+mph winds right now but hopefully will calm down some this afternoon so I can get it on the range. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow & I took a 1/2 day so I could play with it before the bad weather comes in. I'll let you know how it goes ...
Any news? Ive got a play date with the M1 Friday to compare it to the Nike outdoors and head to head.

Pun, yes.

Simply put, this is the best driver I have ever owned.

Wrote that just after playing 18 today. Drove the ball better than I think I ever have. Only missed 1 fairway. Even in the cold and the wind I am hitting much better than I did my R15 this past summer. Some of it of course is I'm swinging better than earlier this year but I think this thing is pretty much perfect for me.

M1 is a beast easily the best driver on the market. Just get to play on the sim do to weather but it's long and forgiving. Love it!! Well done TM

Jason-Dash-Day-Cover-Staff_zps6modx4ht.jpg

Well look who has an M1. "Dad, need some lead tape on the head since they chopped 27 inches off the shaft"

Watching a replay of today's round of the Franklin Templeton shoot out, Gary Woodland a Callaway staffer is gaming the M1..

Watching a replay of today's round of the Franklin Templeton shoot out, Gary Woodland a Callaway staffer is gaming the M1..
Ooopsy

You weren't supposed to see that

Back