2015 US Open Contest & Official Thread - Amazing Cobra PUMA Prizes

Yeah Ernie says something like that every time he sucks. Remember when he yelled at the greenskeepers at Wentworth to, "water the fn greens"?

When its compounded by comments from Phil, Rory and countless others, its a bit more than someone not putting well.

If the greens look as bad in person as they do on TV I reckon they have a point. It's funny because last week everyone said the greens in Memphis were the best they'd seen all year.

Naturally if you want something done correctly, you have to come down here with us dumb ole southerners. ?

It is funny to watch the interviews after yesterday and see the guys that shot under par and are within a few shots of the lead tip toe around the green question or soften the blow a bit in their answer. But the guys that had the rough day don't hold back.

I think the USGA wanted people to talk about the course and the setup. I don't think they wanted people to talk about the greens. The green situation just makes them look bad. They should have gotten out in front of this and explained what exactly the issues were/are.

As far as tomorrow and Sunday goes. Look for your winner to be the best ball striker. The greens are going to make the putting fairly equal between better putters and average putters.

The video from the course I'm seeing this morning already looks better than what I saw yesterday.

The US Open got exactly what they wanted....people talking about the course instead of the players. They do this every year. Don't know why people are so surprised about this. It happens almost every Open week. The rough is too high, the greens aren't holding, the fringe is too short, the holes are too long, the course conditions are too dry, etc, etc, etc. I know I'm in the minority here but I love this and have come to expect it each year from the USGA. Right or wrong it happens every year.

I agree in every aspect but the greens. I love the design and the location of Chambers Bay. I ADORE watching them play this course, both because I know it and because the bounces and short game ingenuity are incredibly fun to watch. The 12th is an incredibly exciting setup, and some of the other holes are just great stern tests.

But I cannot deny, as much as I like the course - if you hit a putt the correct speed and on the correct line, it should go in the hole. And there are some cases where that just isn't happening, and it's a shame both for the players and for this excellent course.

And 25 guys are under par after round 1! Interested to see if the USGA makes changes to nip that in the bud or will they wait till the weekend?
I honestly wonder if that pisses the USGA and Mike Davis off, they always seem to be trying to get the field at par or a bit over.

When its compounded by comments from Phil, Rory and countless others, its a bit more than someone not putting well.

I agree the greens aren't perfect and it's mainly with the poa anna on the older ones. But when good scores are out there and yours isn't one of them, your score is probably the result of more than how the greens played.

I agree in every aspect but the greens. I love the design and the location of Chambers Bay. I ADORE watching them play this course, both because I know it and because the bounces and short game ingenuity are incredibly fun to watch. The 12th is an incredibly exciting setup, and some of the other holes are just great stern tests.

But I cannot deny, as much as I like the course - if you hit a putt the correct speed and on the correct line, it should go in the hole. And there are some cases where that just isn't happening, and it's a shame both for the players and for this excellent course.

See the video I posted. Exactly correct

Agree with all of this. I know I've been bashing this course pretty hard, but I don't want it to sound like I hate the entire course. Some of the shots this layout creates is so much fun to watch.

I agree the greens aren't perfect and it's mainly with the poa anna on the older ones. But when good scores are out there and yours isn't one of them, your score is probably the result of more than how the greens played.

And guys that shot good score still had issues with the greens and we're pretty open about it

Someone may have said this already, but while we're talking about the greens... I really like the shading animation fox does to show the green contours. You can really see what these guys are looking at.

It is funny to watch the interviews after yesterday and see the guys that shot under par and are within a few shots of the lead tip toe around the green question or soften the blow a bit in their answer. But the guys that had the rough day don't hold back.

That's fairly typical though, isn't it? Reasonable assumption that they didn't have the putts fall offline, which is why their scores are lower than the rest.

I'd like to hear Clarke's response to that... ouch

Anyone else enjoying more of the shot tracker that Fox uses? I actually am and would love to see more. Love their higher up views on some holes as they tee off.

hahahaha just seeing this.

Someone tell me that's good for the US Open or 'a fair challenge' for the players.

And guys that shot good score still had issues with the greens and we're pretty open about it

And to me, they have more credibility with saying something, but ultimately I'm of the opinion that players' comments should have little, if any, impact on course set up. If it was up to them, every major would be at Augusta.

The greens are an issue and hopefully it gets resolved. For those that scored poorly, it was probably more than the greens. For those that scored well, stop whining, you're near the top of the leaderboard.

Pin positions:

CH3plp_UcAEJp1H.jpg:large

Anyone else enjoying more of the shot tracker that Fox uses? I actually am and would love to see more. Love their higher up views on some holes as they tee off.

Loving all of the technology they're using. I like the yardage right over the pin. I'm being a little needy now, but I'd like to see more launch monitors out on the course to see ball speed numbers.

I like it a lot. My wife also said it makes it more watchable on tv for her as well since she can't follow the ball typically

What makes it "whining" when a player offers his opinion on the course?

Maybe Sergio's twitter rants could take it there.... But if you're asked about course conditions, and share that the greens are a mess, is that whining? I don't think so.

Looks to be a lot of tight tucked pins today there Rickie!

What makes it "whining" when a player offers his opinion on the course?

Maybe Sergio's twitter rants could take it there.... But if you're asked about course conditions, and share that the greens are a mess, is that whining? I don't think so.

Unfortunately I think it depends on the messenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back