PING G Irons Preview

Really, really interested in these. Such a departure from what I came to expect in a G-series iron, in a good way, IMO. Now, I'm glad my iron pondering didn't result in a purchase, yet.

I like the tech behind it, dont like how the eye looks on the back though. If they could move that eye towards the toe a bit then they would be onto something

I've been playing Ping irons since the G5s including G15s and G25s. These will be getting a lot of attention. Really interested in seeing how the AWT shaft impacts performance. Price looks good too, I paid $107 for the G15 when they were new, these are $110.

Really liking the looks of these. Might need to head in and hit these. With the tech they sound to be quite promising on distance and forgiveness. Just hoping you cant see the cavity on the 4i like the GMax.

The more I look and check out about these irons, the more I want to give them a shot and put them in play. Long, high, forgiving, oh and PING? Yes please.

Tech sounds darn good, these pics look good but in hand will tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a chance to hit the 7i today.

With the True Temper x95 shaft the club felt like buttah. With the AWT 2.0 and CFS graphite I thought it felt pretty harsh. I'm an R flex guy so I did try the Px 5.5.

As for looks I held this up to a G30 and if I hadn't seen the two clubs before I would have thought the G30 was the "newer" of the two in terms of style/look. Just not a huge fan of the polished looks. More prefer the industrial tumble finish.

I think if you measured the top line it would be the sAme as the G30 but it looks thinner because it's beveled.

The sole width to my naked eye appeared to be equal to the g25 and g30.

The blade width seemed about 1/8-3/16" shorter than a g30 so more compact.
At address the size looked more like an i series I thought.

I kind of liked the gunmetal look of the older G series irons as well to be honest. I've never had a problem with chunky irons, and to me the overall look of Ping irons was pretty decent up until the GMax series. But in the end, if you hit them better than other irons, they'll end up looking absolutely gorgeous to you :)

The more I look and check out about these irons, the more I want to give them a shot and put them in play. Long, high, forgiving, oh and PING? Yes please.

I really like everything I'm reading and seeing about them. I love the i series, but there are days when I feel that long, high, and straight sounds like fun.

I don't really like the idea of the COR-eye on a regular G series iron to the point where I think these are a "no go" for me personally.

Dave

I'd like to see comparison pics of the 5, 8 & W G irons and the same G-Max 5, 8 & W irons. Sure look very similar to me. I game 4-GW G-Max irons. Don't see much difference. :confused2:

I've always gravitated more towards the i series Ping irons, but these have me excited a tad as well.

I'd like to see comparison pics of the 5, 8 & W G irons and the same G-Max 5, 8 & W irons. Sure look r very similar to me. I game 4-GW G-Max irons. Don't see much difference. :confused2:

Aesthetics sure very similar.
Profile wise the G is more similar to the G30/G25. The top line is beveled now to appear even thinner and the blade length is slightly shorter than the G30 too.
I'll be in Golfsmith likely later this week and can snap some pics side by side

I like the look of the new G irons, but Pings have always appealed to me. The lofts are almost identical to the Gmax irons so carry distance should be very good. IMO, a nice balance of function and form.

d39d0aa5595e4f79c3464a7126e7e729.jpg

Here's an in hand picture from my trip to the shop today. Took some swings with the 7i, with an S300 in there.

If you're a fan of the G series, you'll like this club. It definitely launches the ball high. Granted, I was hitting off of mats, but I brought my i25 to compare to and the G was definitely higher. However, it wasn't ballooning at all - nice strong ball flight.

Feel was also classic G series - not like more hollow sound like the GMax. That was good to see.

My swing wasn't the best today and after hitting some balls with the i and taking some swings with the G, it was one of those days I was wondering why I don't play something with a bit more help.

d39d0aa5595e4f79c3464a7126e7e729.jpg

Here's an in hand picture from my trip to the shop today. Took some swings with the 7i, with an S300 in there.

If you're a fan of the G series, you'll like this club. It definitely launches the ball high. Granted, I was hitting off of mats, but I brought my i25 to compare to and the G was definitely higher. However, it wasn't ballooning at all - nice strong ball flight.

Feel was also classic G series - not like more hollow sound like the GMax. That was good to see.

My swing wasn't the best today and after hitting some balls with the i and taking some swings with the G, it was one of those days I was wondering why I don't play something with a bit more help.

Dang.. I really love the way this all sounds!

Not sure I like the medallion but I have not seen them in person. Hope they start showing up in stores soon.

Not sure I like the medallion but I have not seen them in person. Hope they start showing up in stores soon.

They didn't have any on the shelf, but they had the fitting cart - you might need to ask if they can build up a demo club until February, when they're released.

Ping doesnt normally advertise who manufactures their shafts. Pointing out that Nippon is the manufacturer has me wondering the reason. Is the market demanding to know these things? Are consumers at a point where a non-descript shaft designator is a buying decision?

A little bit darker and a little less busy in the alum plate woulda been prettier.

Hit these yesterday, look better in person then I was expecting. Tried it with the AWT 2.0, XP95, Modus, and DG. Of all I actually preferred the AWT 2.0, launched very easy. When you haven't hit a G for awhile you forget how easy and forgiving they can be. Back in the day I hated the original AWT shaft because of the balloon balls it promoted with little energy, they seemed to have fixed that problem this go around. Still a high launching shaft but the ball maintains it's height leading to longer carry averages. I would call the G a "slight" improvement over the G30 in terms of sound, feel, and look.

Had a chance to hit the 7i today.

With the True Temper x95 shaft the club felt like buttah. With the AWT 2.0 and CFS graphite I thought it felt pretty harsh. I'm an R flex guy so I did try the Px 5.5.

As for looks I held this up to a G30 and if I hadn't seen the two clubs before I would have thought the G30 was the "newer" of the two in terms of style/look. Just not a huge fan of the polished looks. More prefer the industrial tumble finish.

I think if you measured the top line it would be the sAme as the G30 but it looks thinner because it's beveled.

The sole width to my naked eye appeared to be equal to the g25 and g30.

The blade width seemed about 1/8-3/16" shorter than a g30 so more compact.
At address the size looked more like an i series I thought.
What he said. Hit the 7i today at PGA Superstore. Used the AWT in R and hit several 170 carries... Note my 7i is normally 150-ish. Most of that gain is me learning how to strike better (and practicing lately), but I LOVED the feel on this of a square solid hit. I'm almost certain this is my next iron...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm thinking these will be ordered this weekend. Love the iE1's but I need to be equipped for 65% of my rounds not 35%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When is the release date for these? Did I miss it in the initial post?

Back