Hitting range balls you didn't pay for

No issues at the home clubs since they are set up but when I play a resort course i've never done this or never had to. The only thing I'll occasionally do is reach into my bad and pull out a ball or two that won't ever be put in play again and launch those into the range - even that is pretty rare.

No way would I scavenge balls and hit them...as far as I'm concerned, that is stealing.

I will walk out about 10 feet and grab a few balls to chip but never to grab enough for a bucket. Now if there are leftovers in the bay damn right I will hit them. And a small bucket is $7. I would rather use that for a drink or 2.

just a thought....would you trust playing against a guy that scavenges range balls?....I don't think I would turn my back on him during a match

There are some cheapskate members at my club that play range balls for their round. You'll find the balls in the woods or water at parts of the course farthest away from the range.

Makes you want to smack someone.

Karma.......and bad Karma at that.

I'll hit extra balls left over at the range.....but typically that's after I've bought my own.

Don't walk onto the range to scavenge balls.

And yes Panda.....I'd share a plate with you anyday.
Thanks cookie but Im beating these three guys eat other people's food, that they don't know, when those people leave a restaurant. Of course, before the bus boy clears the table

Never done that. Never would.

I've certainly grabbed a few at the END of my my bucket that were within driver's reach from the stall if I hit the last few poorly. But that's it.

Maybe a few from the station next to me the guy didn't hit, but I'm not going out on the range and grabbing any... Also, like a few others may have said "after I bought my own"....

Only food I'm eating off another plate is my wife's.... she probably made me pay for it anyway...

If it is warmup before a round I always leave a few balls as I am simply getting loose. If I am at the range for a practice session I rarely leave any balls and if others leave a few behind I will probably ease over and get those to hit also. As far as going down range and collecting balls to hit, I agree that is actually stealing. Also at the end of my range session if I have some old but playable balls I will hit those on the range too.

This is the weirdest thing I have heard I have never seen anyone do this. I am guilty of reaching out in front and grabbing 2 or 3 when I'm done with my bucket but walking out on the range and scavenging whole buckets? No way.

I never did this though I do scavenge tees.

Not a chance, plus most of the courses I play provide free range balls with a tee time.

Member of the range club, so all of my golf balls are free. I have no issues taking the tube and filling it up.

What I mind are the guys who are not members and fill up their bag with balls from the practice green, and then take them to the range for full shots. Shots at the practice green with balls picked up on the green, according to our local rule, is fine. That also cleans up the green so it serves a purpose. Taking them to the range when you haven't paid, no.

Now if a guy offers him the balls he is not going to use, or if he takes a few leftovers at the range, for some reason, I give that a pass. Those balls were meant to be hit at the range...

I'd never do that - most people can afford a small bucket. Its like going to a diner and not tipping the waitress because you can't afford to - if you can't afford to tip, don't go out to eat!

Our course has an area that golfers can use to warm up. You supply your own golf balls, hit them and pick them up when you're done. Its a great resource that very few guys take advantage of.

I will answer no with a coupla exceptions. I will like many of you grab a couple of real close ones when I'm at the range and am working on something. Sometimes a couple extras to end the session on a high note. I won't scavange, ever.

I will sometimes go to the short game area and chip a lot with balls left lying around. The one area is a raised area over the sand mound for sewage. I will take them and hit them because the owner has to go up there and shag bag them. He likes it when people police this area. Saves him work.

I also play at a little par 3 a lot. a couple of holes border the range they have. I'll pick up any balls I see in the fairways and hit them back onto the range. I won't scavange any. Hitting them back on the range allows them to be picked back up.

And the exception part. I work 200 yards from my local range/pro shop. I buy a bucket every week they are open on Thursdays, every week. I'm freinds with the owners. A couple of times near the end of the season I've showed up and they were heading out going home. The owner said just go out and pick what you want. They gave me an empty basket and told me to leave it by the back door when I'm done.

With their permission I have. But I was the only one there. And only because we're freinds and they just wanted to get home to dinner. Otherwise NEVER. I respect the guys too much and want to see them there the next year. Great shop and great people.

Mark Shuman

let me first say that I think it's absurd when a course makes you pay for range balls. increase the fee by $5 and I'm fine; for some reason making me pay an extra $5 feels like nickel-and-diming me like making me pay for drink refills at a restaurant. they should absolutely be able to charge for something, but there's a way to do it that doesn't piss off the consumer (maybe I'm in the minority).

I don't go scavenging at the range unless my last few were awful and there are a couple balls around me to hopefully end on a good note. but I can't think of a time I've gone to the range without paying and just hit leftovers.

similar question: let's say a course does it the way I like, offering unlimited range balls with the round. is it ok to go to the range after the round as well? I've been told by a course employee that this isn't ok, and by others that it is. thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way. In fact I've watched kids do this, absent parents, and I've gone and bought a bucket for them a few times.

Also, the food analogy made me laugh because I was just at breakfast with the gf this week and the guy sitting right next to us got up and left two perfectly good slices of bacon untouched on a separate plate than his main dish. First off, if I were President, this would be a federal crime. Felony. Hard time. Second, that was as close as I've ever been to grabbing something off someone else's plate! Go ahead and judge. It was bacon.

let me first say that I think it's absurd when a course makes you pay for range balls. increase the fee by $5 and I'm fine; for some reason making me pay an extra $5 feels like nickel-and-diming me like making me pay for drink refills at a restaurant. they should absolutely be able to charge for something, but there's a way to do it that doesn't piss off the consumer (maybe I'm in the minority).

I don't go scavenging at the range unless my last few were awful and there are a couple balls around me to hopefully end on a good note. but I can't think of a time I've gone to the range without paying and just hit leftovers.

similar question: let's say a course does it the way I like, offering unlimited range balls with the round. is it ok to go to the range after the round as well? I've been told by a course employee that this isn't ok, and by others that it is. thoughts?

But if I just play without going to the range, I have to pay extra for range balls I won't use?

But I have to pay extra for range balls I won't use?

do you want a credit if you get a medium bucket but don't hit them all? what's the difference?

The worse thing I'm guilty of is having two or three old shag balls in my bag and standing on the first tee and hitting them across the road into a farm field. That is my first tee warm up. Right.....no not really, but at least I didn't steal the balls.......

BTW......we have gone to the field in the fall and picked up the balls.

do you want a credit if you get a medium bucket but don't hit them all? what's the difference?

I do not want a credit for paying for extra range balls I choose not to use.

I often play 9 with no range time before. A lot of people do. Why should we have to pay for range balls we won't use.

Range balls I don't use? Running out of balls is my only hope of going home.

Im guilty of not going to the range as much as I should. The people I play with the most almost never warm up and so Ive kinda gotten used to it. When I do get a small bucket I just hit what I need to warm up and maybe leave a few for the next guy.

At my range seniors get 50% off (oops went today now 40%) balls. I do see kids sometimes run out to get balls. Sometimes their parents are there and they (the parents) are not bright enough to know how dangerous that is. I have had close calls in my stall from shanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back