Titleist AP1 Gap and Attack wedges

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just bought a set of 714 AP1 irons up to Pitching Wedge in Graphite Regular Flex. Wondering if other AP1 irons owners play the Gap and Attack wedges from the "Set" or if you use different wedges. Guess what I'm asking is should I pick up the other 2 wedges to match the set in the same shaft. Thoughts??

I went with both in my set of 716 AP1's. I wanted the same shaft in my wedges. I like the idea of the same shaft, vs, having different shafts (with different weights). My sand wedge is an old steel shafted Vokey, which, I had laying around. I was told, that, I could order a new Vokey wedge(sm6) with the same shafts, I currently have in my AP1's.

When I gamed the 714 AP1s last year I used the AP1 48 and 52 with the same shaft as my irons. For me and my game they were a "wedge" in name only and I used them like an 11 iron and 12 iron needed to fill a gap between my true wedges and my 10 iron...errr... PW.

I have the exact set up as you do in that I have the 714 AP1 irons with the 48 and 52 wedges in regular flex graphite. Have a Mizuno 56 and a Cleveland 60 as well.
Seems to be working out well so far.

I have the same setup also with XP95 regular and play 56* in recoil 125 f4 and 60* DG spinner. The spinner works real well for me, but I don't know if I made a mistake by going with the recoil 125 f4.

Just got a set of 716s yesterday with recoil 95 in them. Now to get the wedges. At least W1. I do have a 714 KK shaft Wedge but the shaft is to light at 65g.

Just got a set of 716s yesterday with recoil 95 in them. Now to get the wedges. At least W1. I do have a 714 KK shaft Wedge but the shaft is to light at 65g.

That's the same KK wedge shaft that I have in mine and I thought the same thing, it was just too light, that why I went to the recoil heavier shaft. I think I over did the recoil in 125 f4, I probably should have been in 95 like you have but "I" thought I could handle the added weight and stiffness (wrong). I'll just play and try and use to them I guess.

Ok I did post this somewhere else however you might be a better group to ask: "I'm going to play 48* and 52* in my AP 1's KK Regular flex. CPO has a PM 58* in a Steelfiber. Think this would be a good match to my set?"

Ok I did post this somewhere else however you might be a better group to ask: "I'm going to play 48* and 52* in my AP 1's KK Regular flex. CPO has a PM 58* in a Steelfiber. Think this would be a good match to my set?"

I played Steelfiber before and I liked them, they play a little stiffer than regular flex to me. About the only thing I would suggest is to try it out if you can, however, if this is going to be used around the greens it should be OK.

I hit ap2's last year and switched to ap'1s this year. I use sm5 50, 54 and 58. The only gap issue I have is from PW to 50. PW = 140 50= 125, I just choke down on the Pw when required.

Back