Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

Sorry for the skim but has anyone compared these Cleveland Rotex wedges? Also as someone that doesn't understand grinds that well what would a sweeper type player that has soft conditions in winter and hard in summer be best suited in to?

Really like the sound of the W grind. I played with a 60* X Forged with C- grind until this summer which I switched back to Vokeys. I really really liked the C grind. Felt smooth and the bounce was just right. My go-to for around the greens.

Would love to get some time in with these bad boys!

Might have to make that happen!

Sorry for the skim but has anyone compared these Cleveland Rotex wedges? Also as someone that doesn't understand grinds that well what would a sweeper type player that has soft conditions in winter and hard in summer be best suited in to?

Callaway has a wedge selector that let's you enter info and will tell you what grinds and lofts to play. Sounds like you have a mix if conditions and the s grind might be what you want for full shots

http://www.callawaygolf.com/wedge-selector-tool/

Many have touched on the spin these things provide, and it's no joke! The first chip I hit with this right after RFC's wedgeucation was probably 15 yards to the edge of the practice green, then maybe 5 feet to the pin. Used RFC's tips, shot the ball up there, it hit in between the edge of the green and the pin, bounced a little forward, and then just hit and stopped maybe a foot and a half from the pin. I just gazed at the edge and whispered wtf to myself. Instantly hooked. I had a couple more similar shots follow that one. Then when I went to a deeper flag I had no problem getting the ball to hit, bounce, and release towards the hole. These things are magic.

I went with the S grind and it is absolutely perfect for around the green. I wish I would have tried the W grind in the sand, but the S worked well there too.

Even out of the rough, these wedges spun a lot for me. I also really liked the S grind on the 56 degree wedge. On tight lies, I was able to easily get the club under the ball with the bounce, and it was great out of the sand. Even had a few good up and downs with it.

I like to play a low shot with rollout whenever possible, and with this wedge, I had to quickly adjust for a lot less rollout, even some hop and stop, which I have never really done before.

Love love love this wedge!

Some discussion about this wedge sprouted in a different thread so I figured I would bump this one up. In my mind my complete set would be 52S-56S-60W but after hearing a few of you really love the 56W it has me wanting to try that combo out

After rereading the preview by Hawk I think the W-grind might be best for me, very soft where I play but won't close my mind to the s grind. Courses here are rarely firm so I don't see me adding a C-grind

Callaway has a wedge selector that let's you enter info and will tell you what grinds and lofts to play. Sounds like you have a mix if conditions and the s grind might be what you want for full shots

http://www.callawaygolf.com/wedge-selector-tool/

I'll bump this link as well. As far as on line selector tools, Callaway has one of the best IMO. And interesting they selected a PM grind for me for my 56
e288487c4f194c61455ea8ef95964520.jpg

I have a beautiful pair of black finished MD3s (54S grind and 58W grind) sitting in a box here...unfortunately I don't get them until Christmas. Oh well, Merry Christmas to me.

I have a beautiful pair of black finished MD3s (54S grind and 58W grind) sitting in a box here...unfortunately I don't get them until Christmas. Oh well, Merry Christmas to me.

Anyone but you Donne, and those puppies wouldn't see the inside of that box past this weekend. Man that is a tough one, but good on you!

Just did the wedge selector, and it has me with MD3's across the board and S grinds for all. Probably a solid choice.

5a9ad7cf4dfc9e1f498d703a8816e267.jpg

I love my 60* PM grind so I might do that instead of the MD3 but we will see

I'd be going 50-54-58. C grind in 58, S grind in 54. I'm not 100% on what I'd go with for the 50, I don't really use my 50 around the greens that much. Maybe S grind with that one? Maybe if the T grind found its way to that loft I'd go that route? I'm not sure.

I'd be going 50-54-58. C grind in 58, S grind in 54. I'm not 100% on what I'd go with for the 50, I don't really use my 50 around the greens that much. Maybe S grind with that one? Maybe if the T grind found its way to that loft I'd go that route? I'm not sure.

Stupid Bermuda grass

That's just cruel!

She's a beauty isn't she haha. I'm curious how the ball spins out of that stuff with these

The spin I was getting was enough to make a chrome soft stop on ice. I'll be interested to hear how they perform on Bermuda greens

The spin I was getting was enough to make a chrome soft stop on ice. I'll be interested to hear how they perform on Bermuda greens

Not 100% sure. If I can find one to hit next weekend at the BSG Champ, I'll compare as best I can. I have a feeling the results will be pretty good.

I desperately need to hit these. My xFt wedges are TIRED. I love the W sole and could see it doing some major damage on my local course. Kudos to Callaway for making what appears to be a real winner! I'm afraid to hit these at the local store as I'm even more afraid I'd be walking out with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had a chance to try the 46* wedge? I am looking to replace my pitching wedge with th md3 and I play on going 46* and 50* in the s grind. I never had a not set wedge before and wondered what the difference would be.

Has anyone had a chance to try the 46* wedge? I am looking to replace my pitching wedge with th md3 and I play on going 46* and 50* in the s grind. I never had a not set wedge before and wondered what the difference would be.

That's not a terrible idea. The way you hit the 56 I can see why you want more
MD3 in your bag lol

Picked up the 50˚ for the lady today. Of course she hated the lime green grip so we threw another pink grip on there for her. :bulgy-eyes: Gonna play a round tomorrow morning and see how she likes it. I feel like she finds reasons to play shots with her PM, so I hope this one gets some love as well!

What a fantastic club this is. I've finally got to spend a lot of time with it over the last 2 days and put it through it's paces. I've been a vokey wedge homer since I've gotten into golf and start buying clubs. I personally believe that wedges are just as personal as putters. With that being said I could game the MD3's in a heart beat. I think it's been mentioned quite a bit in this thread so far but these "feel" so soft it's ridiculous. I know "feel" in clubs and "soft" is subjective but they feel absolutely fantastic. They give off such a nice muted sound at impact as well and that's something I really enjoy. The turf interaction is great. This club just glides through the turf for me without much digging at all unless I get steep. Over testing different lofts and getting comfortable with the gaps in my bag I play a 54* sand wedge so the 56* wouldn't really fit in my bag right now but these are good enough that I'm considering purchasing the 50*-54*-60* now I could bend the 56* 2* strong but I really don't want to mess with the bounce at all because of how well it performs. Early thoughts on this thing are nothing but great.

That's not a terrible idea. The way you hit the 56 I can see why you want more
MD3 in your bag lol
There is no doubt in my mind that my bag will consist of 3 md3 wedges and my trust 62* PM grind. They are just so good it's unreal

Back