What is the magic to the ProV1?

Off the tee I've played longer balls, but with irons and short game they are some of the best I've played.

I did a ball fitting in 2014 against all other premium balls and for me they were the longest and straightest ball on the market at the time. The only others ball that was close was the TM tour preferred. So for me they were the best ball. And all the tour guys play them.

I did a ball fitting in 2014 against all other premium balls and for me they were the longest and straightest ball on the market at the time. The only others ball that was close was the TM tour preferred. So for me they were the best ball. And all the tour guys play them.

Genuine question. Do you believe that the 50% of the field that does not play them are literally playing a ball that is inferior, is not as long or as straight?

Genuine question. Do you believe that the 50% of the field that does not play them are literally playing a ball that is inferior, is not as long or as straight?

Do the pros even play stock titleist balls? I was under the impression almost all of them had something tweaked about the proV's, and most play some sort of + version.

I really can not spend THAT much on golf balls and feel good about the investment. I have tried the Pro V1 and well, the entire line of Titleist golf balls. I like the NXT, and the DT SoLo. Its become simply a money issue, but the BEST ball is the one YOU really like. Period.

The Pro V1 has a lot of marketing and pro player endorsements for it. But then again, the pros do not pay for their golf balls right? If I got them for free, I'd play them too!!!!

I like them, they are certainly a good ball. But if I want to save some $ and get a comparable ball, the Chrome Soft is every bit as good and feels better off the putter IMO. Callaway killed it with that release. I also like the Bridgestone B330S/RXS balls. Nothing wrong with a ProV, just nothing that sets them apart from some lower cost options IMO.

A ton of hype is mentioned about Titleist endorsements and marketing, and signed pros playing the ProV's; I get it. However, consider the pros who are signed to club manufactures who don't make, or aren't affiliated with, golf balls. The Ping hitting guys come to mind, guys who can play/endorse/be paid to play any ball they choose, and the majority of those guys play the ProV's - that's a bigger endorsement, IMO, that a Titleist club carrying pro.

I love them myself, not because they're the longest ball I can play (I use much harder balls when my goal is to boom drives) but because they're softer, respond to spin/bite better, and they feel great off the putter head. The only problem I have with the ProV is their durability; one round for me but I'm picky, I don't like playing balls with marks/scars. Fortunately, I can afford a $4 ball with a round.

ProV1 for me, even though, statistically, the ProV1x is longer.

No no absolutly not different strokes for different folks. That was also a sarcastic comment. Which I understand is hard to do on the net. Ball fitting or any fitting for that matter is the way to go

A ton of hype is mentioned about Titleist endorsements and marketing, and signed pros playing the ProV's; I get it. However, consider the pros who are signed to club manufactures who don't make, or aren't affiliated with, golf balls. The Ping hitting guys come to mind, guys who can play/endorse/be paid to play any ball they choose, and the majority of those guys play the ProV's - that's a bigger endorsement, IMO, that a Titleist club carrying pro.

I love them myself, not because they're the longest ball I can play (I use much harder balls when my goal is to boom drives) but because they're softer, respond to spin/bite better, and they feel great off the putter head. The only problem I have with the ProV is their durability; one round for me but I'm picky, I don't like playing balls with marks/scars. Fortunately, I can afford a $4 ball with a round.

Pretty sure those Ping guys playing Pro-V1's are still being paid by Titliest to play them.

i've tried to play pro v1 a few times, and it's always been shorter for me. i get better distance out of "softer" balls for slower swing speeds like the callaway sr2, b330-rx and chrome soft.

Titleist is one of the few companies that does endorsements for nothing more than the golf ball. It makes sense for a Ping or Cobra player to head that way to maximize earnings.

Titleist claims their ball is used on the tour 6 times more than the nearest competitor. And their ball wins a lot more often. This in itself says something, but the way the ball works for my game says everything....for me.

Titleist claims their ball is used on the tour 6 times more than the nearest competitor. And their ball wins a lot more often. This in itself says something, but the way the ball works for my game says everything....for me.

Look into playing the leader in every category on tour? :D
Odyssey outwins every putt on tour by a landslide, so obviously its the best, right?
Cleveland and Titleist and Callaway wedges are the most used on tour, so you have to have those.
Nobody is using Ping Eye 2 irons on tour, so those definitely need to be changed too, probably to either Callaway or Titleist. :bashful:

While I dont think tour use should be ignored, to rely on a marketing piece only when choosing the right equipment for someone seems like a bad idea for someone new to the game trying to get better.

I agree with what JB posts about tour presence not really relating to performance for the average person. There are a lot of financial decisions that go into what a tour player uses.

For me personally, there's no magic in the Prov1 or Prov1X. I'm a hack, so I can lose those just as easily as I can a cheap Top Flight or Slazenger. It makes poor economic sense to play a $4 unless I find it.

I actually seem to do better with a distance ball that creates a bit less side spin off of the driver. My scoring is most closely tied to penalty strokes/lost balls off of the tee. Give me something that will help keep it in play.

While I dont think tour use should be ignored, to rely on a marketing piece only when choosing the right equipment for someone seems like a bad idea for someone new to the game trying to get better.

I agree 100% that you should not rely on marketing, but like i said in my first post, these things just flat out work best for me. And easy on the Eye 2's! I love those irons! lol

Feel and mental. I've been playing pro V for more than a decade now. I just like how they feel and roll while putting. I want to putt a rock, where there's some resistance to the Putter, as opposed to feeling soft like a marshmallow or too bouncy like a tennis ball.

That said, these things are pricey so I just buy used balls, usually $0.50 to $0.25 each. There's no way I'm buying them new.

Also, it doesn't mean the other balls are inferior. If someone gave me a year's supply of a different brand, sure I'll switch.

I used to think the same of the pro v1. But I play my best golf using hard rocks I guess. Shot great scores this year playing hard compression cheap golf balls. Noodles/Hard Callaway/precepts hard compression are my favorites. I chip/pitch and putt extremely well with them

handicap lowering below a 2 again and a top 15 in my county championship. The ball means nothing to me , but a correct swing to hit the ball does

I'm not sure I know how else to say this, but I have never notice a performance difference when putting with different balls. Maybe sound, but never a difference in performance

For me, I used to think ProV1 was the ball for me. I was buying cheap refurbs, and lowering my handicap dramatically. I thought I had to play that ball to be successful.

Then I started messing around with other balls, and ended up with the Q-Stars, mainly based on the yellow color, and have been flip flopping for 3 years to whatever yellow ball I could grab. Now I think I play better with a yellow ball, haven't played a white ball in some time.

Its all mental though. Play what makes you feel happy, whatever you think you play better with. Heck, I played Nike Mojo's on the weekend in a scramble and thought I was hitting the ball way farther, and much more accurately than I had hit anything else this year...... but it probably has more to do with there being no pressure than which ball I was using.

Off the tee I've played longer balls, but with irons and short game they are some of the best I've played.

I agree. I played them for years and they are and always have been a high quality ball, but they are not for everyone. Balls are subjective like everything is golf. I like the new ProVx, but I hate paying $4 a ball.

Pretty sure those Ping guys playing Pro-V1's are still being paid by Titliest to play them.

They sure do get paid for using them. Watch the Titlesit Tips on Tour that the golf channel shows there will be lots if guys not using Titleist clubs that are doing those spots.

My dad played Pro Vs for as long as I can remember, he was a good player, around scratch. I remember taking him out for the last round we played together, he had early onset Alzheimer's and could still hit it dead straight. I think it was just personal preference. I am sure he would have been a good player regardless of the ball because he played and practiced several days a week. I can tell you that I've never bought a box of Pro Vs and my lowest score is in the high 70s and either played with a Callaway or Bridgestone most likely. I will say I do notice the Pro V's spin very nicely when I pull them out but I can't do it on purpose :act-up:

I really love Wilson 50 elites, Wilson Zips, and Pinnacle Gold. All cheap balls. I found the holy grail of golf balls, this guy who lives near me fishes balls out of lakes and sorts them by brand in egg cartons. I buy 24 Titleist for 5 bucks. To be honest when I take the velocity out of the bag or the pro v1. I can't really tell....

They DO spin pretty good.

If it felt "Pure" with the characteristics that it is supposedly "Legendary" at.... I would play them every day.... Even at $4.00 a pop:banana:

I have never understood the hype on prov1s. Sure, the are a decent ball, but so are a lot of other balls.

Back