Recap & Review - 2015 THP Legacy

Thank you so much for all the amazing pictures!

Just be thankful I saved you all from the wrinkled shirt pics of me hahaha

JB: "Hey Kevin, they dont have irons in the villas?"

Haha

Anyone else mortified by that left elbow?!

I guess the answer to the question "Do I keep my left arm straight going back?" is Yes!!! I'm going with trick of the camera for the out of joint look here though. I swear it doesn't hurt.

Thanks Cace, it meant a lot to me to have them along for the ride.

Having your family along for the Alt Shot round was really enjoyable. You're a lucky man.

OK, now that I can steal some dedicated time... Part 2 of my belated recap...

Prep for #THPLegacy actually went pretty well, for me, through most of the process. I started the season on an atypical hot streak, which dropped my cap quickly into the single digits. Inconsistency was my middle name, though... I hit a brick wall with my game about 6 or 7 weeks prior to the event. Everything felt wrong. But, after reaching out to my team and captain, and other THPers, the same advice held... Don't sweat it, just keep plugging away, and it'll be there when it's time. And by-and-large, that held true. To anyone that participates in one of the bigger events/competitions, don't be afraid to reach out to your team, your captain, and definitely other THPers. There is so much support here, that you can't help but get that extra kick of motivation, or even that one little tip that helps break you out of a funk.

#THPLegacy week/weekend finally arrives! Freaking butterflies start on Monday morning, as I'm trying to tie-up as many work to-do's as I can in two days, along with cramming all necessary travel planning/packing activities (oh, and for the first time, ever, I didn't forget anything. Was that an omen?). As you might imagine team mates were reaching out to each other, double checking everything, anticipation running at an all-time high. I was going to meet several guys, for the first time, during the week. That's some serious stuff, and led to a good bit of internal pondering. "Hope we really do mesh, as a team, as well as I think we're going to. This is someone I do not want to let down. Who would I be better paired with for the benefit of the team?"

Now, add to this, the off-the-charts excitement, walking-out to a driving range full of gear and swag, put together by fantastic sponsors for us. This wasn't going to be for a tour pro, or someone with the clout/cash/connections that might be necessary to have a company representative meet you on the range, and be available for equipement questions, industry discussion, and yes, even some fitting advice and equipment tweaks. This was for us. Regular folks, who happen to be avid golfers, and are fortunate to be a part of the THP community.

Wednesday morning. Up at 3 AM and on my way to the airport. Ugh. First snafu - I'm put onto a slightly later flight from Chicago to Charlotte (enter flashbacks from BStone championship last September. Yikes!). Fortunately, remaining flights go smoothly. Arrive in MB and run into some #TeamTradition guys at baggage claim. Had a quick hello with Jed (jhoeffer99), Cace (Orange Hog), and Eric (Erky). Met up with Dave (Dave Alvarado) for the drive to True Blue. To anyone coming in next time, it really is not too hard to get from the airport to True Blue, but there is no quick way to do it.

Made it to True Blue with enough time to put on my shoes, get my clubs on the cart and head to #1 tee, playing a practice round with Tom (Shakey), Ron (Lightningbolt44), and Gregg (greggdrews). We all hit some good shots, though I think my lack of warm-up hindered me a bit. Loved seeing the course for the first time, and has been mentioned by others, Mike's (mikedean441 - as if you didn't know this) commentary and advice on the holes was spot on. "Don't miss left or right, or long." I think I heard that for 13 of the 18 holes. What I did see from the practice round, was that our team was likely to mesh very nicely. The four of us, and Mike got along very well, and you could see a couple of pairings start to take shape very early. #MikesMasterPlan

After the round, we got cleaned-up and met #TeamTradition and some family members, JB, and Canadan for dinner. It was good to meet even more folks, and get an idea from the chatter (and pics) that JB and Dan had been hard at work, prep-ing everything for Friday and the weekend. We closed the evening back in Villa 9i (still trying to figure out how the heck we had the 3rd floor - I smell sabotage), as more team members arrived: Curtis (ArmyGolf) and his wife, Connie, and CJ (cjgolfer25). That good feeling about how we would mesh? Yeah, that definitely continued on Wednesday evening. Just two more pieces of #TeamHeritage left to arrive.

Such awesome pics!! Tell LeeB thank you so much for all of those, she did a great job!!

Kev- Please tell Lee thanks for the great pics! It was so much fun getting to hang with her and Matt on Thursday, Saturday and again Sunday. You've got quite the family to be proud of my friend, I'd love to share a vacation, round of golf, or meal with all of you anytime, anywhere brother.

Kev- Please tell Lee thanks for the great pics! It was so much fun getting to hang with her and Matt on Thursday, Saturday and again Sunday. You've got quite the family to be proud of my friend, I'd love to share a vacation, round of golf, or meal with all of you anytime, anywhere brother.
Or as neighbors haha it could happen.

Kev I already told you in person what a great kid you have in Matt. He also murders the ball like his old man! Lee was a joy to be around as well. You are a lucky guy.

Part 3 Thursday Practice Rounds:

Thursday morning - feels really early after a late evening in 9i. Morning practice round on True Blue, and #TeamHeritage sees the arrival of Dan (McRock) and his wife. Rock had already been in MB for a few days, enjoying some well-deserved vacation time with his significant other, but it was time to get some work in. Tom (Shakey) and I were taking on Ron (Lightningbolt44) and Gregg (greggdrews) in a little best ball action. All 4 guys generally played pretty well. As was the case in the Wednesday afternoon round, we found a couple more pairings that could work for us, and I started to think that if we could carry our games into Saturday and Sunday, we had a real chance to give #TeamTradition a run for the win. My game worked pretty well at True Blue as I continued to drive the ball well and put myself in decent positions on most holes. I was really having some troubles with putting; judging speed was a big issue for me.

So, we finish our round, and have just a little bit of time to get to Caledonia for the afternoon practice round... The beginning of the hot dog incident. Innocent enough, I didn't have a lot of time to eat, so ordered a hot dog at True Blue's bar/resaurant, same as I have done at umpteen other golf courses. Bun was dry, so just ended up eating the plain dog. Off to Caledonia we go, to try and stay on time, and not have to hurry thru the PM round.

The drive to Caledonia is mostly forgettable, until you make that left turn into the grounds. Holy smokes! That short drive was like nothing I have ever seen. Ridiculously picturesque. I had nothing I could even think about comparing it to. Everything appeared to be in the place it was meant to be in. Well, except for Tom's car. For some reason, it stayed parked at the bag drop for the better part of 15 minutes. I mean Tom is "it", but even Caledonia wasn't going to give him the VIP treatment. Wait, so I'm going to go and tear-up the turf here? You're darn right I am. :D

Final piece of the #TeamHeritage puzzle, Patrick (Lynchburg14), arrived to much fanfare (OK, maybe it was more like ribbing). Capt. Mike made some pairings to do some alternate shot work. Gregg and I were paired-up, again, and it was pretty clear our pairing was one that would definitely stick for at least one of the Saturday rounds. We were going to have a friendly match with Curtis (ArmyGolf) and CJ (Cjgolf25). Both groups played well the first several holes. I can't really say it enough, the way that we meshed as a team really was going to be the foundation that helped this team be successful. Hot dog incident... As we moved towards the end of the front 9, I was starting to struggle. Feelling really tired, sweating much more than before, feeling a little "wrong" in the gut, if you know what I mean. Just feeling pretty crappy. I decided to take some preventative measures and get some additional water and Gatorades, along with a small cooler of ice. All the preventative measures in the world evidently weren't going to help me on the back 9, though. The final 9 holes were a bit of a blur to me. I had 3 or 4 "moments" where I know Gregg was trying to figure out if he was going to have a partner going into the weekend. First one was smack in the middle of the #10 fairway - I'm sure it was a sound heard over several holes. Good bye hot dog. A couple of times, I pondered calling it an afternoon, but after each of my "moments", I felt a little better, and kept pouring water and Gatorade down, along with almost constant use of ice to try and keep my temp in check, since my "moments" were making it a challenge to stay hydrated. I still hit some good shots - it was important for me to get that time on the course and also that time working with Gregg on the alternate shot format. What I do remember was #18. Gregg and I were either AS or up 1, with Curtis and CJ. I teed off and my weak swing put us just up against the plants in the hazard on the right side. Gregg didn't have a shot, so we took penalty and a drop. Gregg hit a solid approach just long and left of the green. I had a downhill chip that I knew I needed to leave within a good distance to give Gregg a chance with a putt. Probably one of the better chips I've had given the circumstances, and Gregg was clutch. A really fun experience with Gregg, Curtis, and CJ, as I have had very little exposure to the alternate shot format. Thanks guys, for dealing with my hot dog incident, and especially to Gregg, who I'm sure had a look of "What the heck am I gonna do if this guy keels over?"

That night we were to meet as a team, have some pizza, talk pairings and what to expect for Friday's equipment "unveiling", and just generally chill. After the afternoon I had, I was genuinely worried whether I would make it to the team dinner. I took some extra time to try and recover, still sucking-down all the fluids I could and tested-out eating some food before heading over to Mike's villa. I started to come around during the pairings discussion, and wolfed-down 5 pieces of pizza and a good bit more water.

On to Friday, where it's about to get real...

Great recap jeremy all its missing was the ol we hit the wrong ball fiasco on 16 at caledonia lol

Great recap jeremy all its missing was the ol we hit the wrong ball fiasco on 16 at caledonia lol

Hah! See, I completely forgot about that. Damn hot dog. :bulgy-eyes:

What a flustercluck that was...I shouldn't have said anything ha-ha.

What a flustercluck that was...I shouldn't have said anything ha-ha.
The double take u did before you chipped it was a dead giveaway

I just feel bad for my man CJ...he hit a freaking killer cut around that tree all for nothing. I blame the damn hot dog.

I just feel bad for my man CJ...he hit a freaking killer cut around that tree all for nothing. I blame the damn hot dog.

We all do, Curtis. It covers pretty much anything you need it to.

Bumping for Rambler part 4

So, I was finally able to compose myself despite all of the emotions from the event to put together a short video recap. Enjoy

Hahhah. That was good.

Love it Captain! LOL at the Dakembe finger wave!

So much awesome right there.

Back