THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Answers for the Carolina side of course :)

Post your responses here, and PM them to me too.

~ Have ever played in a team event?
Yes, I've been fortunate to participate in some THP events. I was part of #Theking last year representing team Harry! I also play with toss up groups and local team tournaments that are two man and 4 man formats.
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?
My attitude, perseverance and ability to laugh at myself lol. I always keep things light and fun in a serious way if that makes sense. Not anything that would make u lose focus but just making sure we all have a great time and play our best golf even if we are struggling.
~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
someone who can bounce back from a bad shot with a good attitude. We all have them, even the pros, but it's about keeping the right attitude on the next shot. Oh and if it's captains choice...hit the fairway lol. My driver can be really good or in another fairway lol.
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
most of the time I'm very consistent and good with wedges and chipping. When I've played captains choice and alternate shot I've told my partners I had their back if they missed.
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
My game started really strong in 2015 with my irons...then I had an issue with shanks. It took a while but towards the end of the year I was able to come back even stronger and develop a lot more consistency with my irons and wedges. I broke 80 on about 4-5 occasions this year and even went as low as a 76 once this year.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game?
pitching and chipping. And at times the long ball.
A. What do you do to maintain it.
i practice 1-3 times a week on the range during the warmer months after work. And then if it's not too cold I always play Saturday and Sunday's with friends that play with different toss up crowds.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
My tee ball with driver. My driver is what puts me playing defense right away. I've been working on trying to get to a point it doesn't completely take me out of a hole and I think my misses aren't turning out as bad anymore.
A. What is your plan to overcome it
ive been working with a buddy of mine to get the problem sorted out. I swing much more aggressively with my 3 wood and at times hit it farther. So just trying to bring that same attitude and confidence to the driver. He has me switch back and forth, 2 hits with 3 wood, 1 with driver etc. on the range.
B. How will you know you've been successful?
i track my fairways hit on a regular basis and also note whether it was my target/playable.
~ Do you prefer to practice or play
Play
~ What is your handicap index.
Ghin has me at 11.4
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?
I'd like to break 10 even if it's 9.9 lol. But a more practical goal is get to 10.

Speaking of do any of you guys want a piece of someone on the other side? When the event comes is there someone you would prefer to play and beat? Always nice to have some fun friendly personal rivalries in the mix of the event as well.

I think mine is known and shared as T2GRN18 the respect for him is through the roof but that still doesn't mean I want to beat him badly ;).

I want a piece of YoungBuck. Where's he hiding T2GRN18? He needs in this.

Speaking of do any of you guys want a piece of someone on the other side? When the event comes is there someone you would prefer to play and beat? Always nice to have some fun friendly personal rivalries in the mix of the event as well.

I think mine is known and shared as T2GRN18 the respect for him is through the roof but that still doesn't mean I want to beat him badly ;).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Good question buddy!

I will say we share thoughts. But I'll add one to the equation.

Trouter is certainly on my list. One of the purest swings I've seen, and a great dude too. Swapping blows on the course is just what this event is about. And I'm bringing it for you brother!

There are many guys on the Carolina side I'd enjoy taking on. I don't know if mulitple choice answers are allowed, but until I hear they aren't. here you go!!

I think Duece and I would be a pretty good straight up match. We are about the same handicap and have chatted a bit about our games. I know we both plan on having our games in better shape come July, so this would prove a very challenging and fun match up.

I would absoutley love to take on JeffJohnSpicoli, but I don't know if there is enough room on the scorecard for all the dot's (strokes) my name would need.

Same with TroutBum, while he's a far better player, and I always enjoy playing straight up, going up against him would bring out the best in me, and getting a few pops to help the cause. Well you just never know.

I'll also add Leishman (formerly known as TBaker34) Very good dude and would love the company of playing with him. Just hope he drives the Pizza Truck up, for late night snack downs!!

lol no one in particular. I think EMart is the only THPer from the other side I know from a previous event. I don't want a piece of him but I do enjoy playing in his foursome lol.

I want a piece of YoungBuck. Where's he hiding T2GRN18? He needs in this.

I will say this:

I told he and LeeB all about it, and I told them both what they had to do to get involved. However I also told them they will not be a charity pick. If they want in then they have to get in just like anyone else. SHOW ME SOMETHING!

I will say this:

I told he and LeeB all about it, and I told them both what they had to do to get involved. However I also told them they will not be a charity pick. If they want in then they have to get in just like anyone else. SHOW ME SOMETHING!
Coaches (Captains) are always harder on their own blood than they are anyone else.

Good question buddy!

I will say we share thoughts. But I'll add one to the equation.

Trouter is certainly on my list. One of the purest swings I've seen, and a great dude too. Swapping blows on the course is just what this event is about. And I'm bringing it for you brother!
I'll add another as well then. Emart my fellow buffalo brother growing up but now going against each other.

I will say this:

Enjoy the other room. :D

I hate that the weather has been so wet during the warm days we had and now it's back to freezing and can't believe it snowed a bit Monday. I'm hoping it warms up and stops raining for a week and I can make the trip to Raleigh to play with some of u guys.

I don't know that many THPers personally but I'll play the best you got (if selected). Always brings out the best in me when I play against better players!!!

I hate that the weather has been so wet during the warm days we had and now it's back to freezing and can't believe it snowed a bit Monday. I'm hoping it warms up and stops raining for a week and I can make the trip to Raleigh to play with some of u guys.
We try and rotate a good bit as well. I have been out to cutter creek a few times recently is a great course and may be a spot to get together shortly

Here are the questions I promised earlier today.

DC/MD/VA hopefuls:

Post your responses here, and PM them to me too.

~ Have ever played in a team event?
~ What makes you an asset to the entire team?
~ What do you look for from a playing partner?
A. What do you have to offer a playing partner?
~ What was you biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
~ What is your biggest strength in the game?
A. What do you do to maintain it.
~ What is the biggest weakness in your game?
A. What is your plan to overcome it
B. How will you know you've been successful?
~ Do you prefer to practice or play
~ What is your handicap index.
~ What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?

I’m a little behind on getting this out, but wanted to make sure I posted the answers that Kevin put out there a few days ago:

- Have ever played in a team event? I have played in many different team golf events over the past few years. Twice a year I play a tournament through my employer and am usually the captain of our team. I also was fortunate enough to be a member of Team Rhi for the first Gauntlet back in 2014.

- What makes you an asset to the entire team?
I am not a negative person. I will never bring down a teammate or my team. I’m pretty level headed and tend to stay that way in stressful situations. I will be a rock on any team.

- What do you look for from a playing partner?
I look for someone that is going to be fun to play with. Don’t get down on yourself, or pull someone else with you if play isn’t going as expected. My best rounds are always when I am having fun.

- What do you have to offer a playing partner?
I offer a laid back golf experience. I believe I am also very good at finding what my playing partner needs and providing it. If they are playing great, I do my best to pump them up. If they aren’t playing as good as they can, I will do my best to help them get their confidence back.

- What was your biggest accomplishment in 2015 with your game.
My biggest accomplishment was finding a driver that I can finally find the fairway with. I had struggled for the last few years hitting driver consistently. I had tried a few different clubs and just couldn’t do much. The Bridgestone J815 driver is just money for me. Maybe it is because I actually got fit for it versus picking it off the rack.

- What is your biggest strength in the game?
My biggest strength is 75 yards in, not necessarily counting putting. I end up off the green quite often and am quite good at being creative and getting the ball close enough to have a chance to make a putt.

- What do you do to maintain it.
Practice. I try to practice my short game as often as possible and do a pretty good job. Unfortunately my play on the course with my irons allows me to have a great deal of practice in varying situations also.

- What is the biggest weakness in your game?
If you couldn’t tell from my last answer, my mid to long irons are my biggest issue. I seem to get good contact and loft, but I either pull it, push it, or hit is short. I don’t tend to slice/hook too much, but I seem to always be just a little off.

- What is your plan to overcome it.
Once again, practice, but I think I need to figure out a new way to practice. I go to the range and work on hitting my trouble irons and things look good, but just don’t transfer. Maybe I need to work more on hitting towards very small targets versus green size targets. Any suggestions for better practice are welcome.

- How will you know you've been successful?
I track all of my stats each time I play. As the season progresses, I should be able to see if my GIR has risen. That’s the main thing I need to improve. My last 20 rounds I only averaged 29% GIR. If I could get that up to 40 or 50%, my scores would drop significantly.

- Do you prefer to practice or play.
I prefer to play rather than practice. I don’t have a great deal of time to get out and play golf with work and family obligations. When I do get time, I love getting outside and getting on a course. However, I know that practice is one of the main avenues for improvement.

- What is your handicap index.
My handicap right now is 15.8. I feel that my handicap does travel well as I really don’t have a home course and play at different places all the time.

- What is your goal for handicap by Aug 1, 2016?
My realistic goal is to have it down to 13 by August 1[SUP]st[/SUP]. If I can work on my GIR and my putting, 3-4 strokes shouldn’t be too amazingly difficult.

Brave man I like it careful what you ask for though.

That's all right, I can always use the famous line " I 've been beat by worse golfer's than you" ! I totally believe that if you play better competition you'll find out what you're made of in the heat of the battle!

Starting back at the gym today to get back in shape, I'm going to lose 30lbs by the time we take the course in July, notice I didn't say try. Two years ago I ran a couple of 13 mile tough mudder events with my nephew, who is half my age, but haven't been back to the gym since and put a lot of my weight back on. I think physical fitness will play a part in this event, with it being in July. Don't want to be sucking wind on the last few holes of a tight match.
Range time is starting up this weekend, gotta get ready to beat them boys up north!

Sound a lot like me sir. Two years ago I was in the gym training like a madman. I started having trouble with my feet, and the gym went by the wayside! I am back, going in the mornings before work. I plan on being down 35 - 40# by RR. Let me know how you are doing! I know you are a Carolina guy ( nobody's perfect haha ) - but fitness / health is more important than any alliance - and if I play someone, I want them at their best.

We try and rotate a good bit as well. I have been out to cutter creek a few times recently is a great course and may be a spot to get together shortly

I LOVE Cutter Creek! I've only been once. I've been to River Ridge once and a gem at Rocky Mount called Belmont. I want to get out and play more courses this year so I'll be looking into the Carolina thread more often. Last year was a year I spent learning the game and finding myself (aka looking for balls in woods) so I didn't want to take that to Raleigh lol

The course looks awesome.

hole1Pic.jpg

75 foot dropoff to get things started? Nice!

Handicaps ..... Have one! Enuf said

I have plenty maybe to many to list here. :bulgy-eyes:

Don't worry that scenario won't be happening. I foresee a beat down by the Carolina crew so bad that some of the DMV crew will want to move to the Carolinas #onlywinnershere

Someone call 911 this man has fallen and hit his head.

I don't really know any of the guys from the Carolinas other than you. So I guess it would be fun to take you on out there on the course. But I look forward to meeting some of your crew and playing against them.

hole1Pic.jpg

Great hole just simply drive it over the mound and then little wedge on to the green. I am sure it will be just that easy on Saturday morning.:act-up:

Sound a lot like me sir. Two years ago I was in the gym training like a madman. I started having trouble with my feet, and the gym went by the wayside! I am back, going in the mornings before work. I plan on being down 35 - 40# by RR. Let me know how you are doing! I know you are a Carolina guy ( nobody's perfect haha ) - but fitness / health is more important than any alliance - and if I play someone, I want them at their best.

Yes sir! We have to be at our best if we are going to represent our region.

hole1Pic.jpg

What could possibly go wrong! That looks AWESOME!

Back