The Rickie Fowler Thread

I felt for him after the tournament. We can all second guess shots we've hit, and you know that's what he'll do for driver off of 17. Who would have thought he would have smashed it the way he did, have it fly off the downslope and run so much? I can't believe with his length he couldn't muscle up a 3 wood and carry the bunker there.

He's as good of a guy on Tour as there is. This won't be his last chance for a win on Tour this year, no way.

I think he proved in the playoff why he picked driver in regulation. He knew the 3 wood had a decent chance of turning over, and it made sense to go with what was working.

Unlucky, and disappointing, for sure. Despite his incredible birdies to end and during the playoff, I think his fate was defined by that missed putt on 16. That would have put everything out of reach.

Was really surprised that he made that gaffe on #17 yesterday. Still, some great play by him this past week. Definitely a fan of his.

Which time on 17 since he hit a ball in the water both times? If in regulation I wouldn't consider it a gaffe as much as a bad break/rub of the green. He and his caddie talked through the scenario and went with what they thought was best. He hit the shot he wanted and you could see that in his reaction immediately and he ended up with a bad break at an in-opportune time.

In the playoff he went with his FW and hit a big draw into the water which he was struggling with his woods during the round off the tee with a miss left. What's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing in regulation instead of hitting driver. Even with all that he played 18 well and the first three playoff holes he pulled off some golf shots.

I think he proved in the playoff why he picked driver in regulation. He knew the 3 wood had a decent chance of turning over, and it made sense to go with what was working.

Unlucky, and disappointing, for sure. Despite his incredible birdies to end and during the playoff, I think his fate was defined by that missed putt on 16. That would have put everything out of reach.

True, but SO many were missing that read on 16 it seemed. I would think that after missing that putt, if I had a two shot lead with two holes, on a reachable 17 with the pin where it was. I'm thinking about taking any trouble away off the tee. Don't you? Why would you even give yourself the chance to mess up. Even if it means hitting an iron off the tee there?

Appearance don't make the man! It's all about what is inside that I care about. If I cared about how peeps looked then I'd have very few friends. I like Rickie after meeting him and like him even more for evolving into a legit superstar on the PGA tour. His game matches his persona, big and bold. Golf will be fun to watch in the coming years!

I can't think that anyone would consider reaching 365 to the water.

Zero issues with his choice on 17 the first time around. With the pin where it was and that bunker short, 3 wood brings bunker into play and and iron off the tee leaves a very difficult angle in, there's a reason a lot of guys don't play iron off the tee and lay back there. Think he just got an unfortunate bounce and he handled it like a champ.

Use to find myself cheering against Rickie, being a Rory fan, but over the past year or so, it's become very difficult not to cheer for him. He'll be back.

I was really pulling for Rickie, but that outfit on Sunday was the worst ever.
Baseball pants and high top basketball shoes on the golf course?
Epic fail !

I can't think that anyone would consider reaching 365 to the water.

Zero issues with his choice on 17 the first time around. With the pin where it was and that bunker short, 3 wood brings bunker into play and and iron off the tee leaves a very difficult angle in, there's a reason a lot of guys don't play iron off the tee and lay back there. Think he just got an unfortunate bounce and he handled it like a champ.

Use to find myself cheering against Rickie, being a Rory fan, but over the past year or so, it's become very difficult not to cheer for him. He'll be back.
Yeah, it looked like he caught he back edge of that slope before the green and it just launched his ball forward.

I really don't consider the dunk in the water on the 17th a mistake or a mental error or poor decision making. That was Rickie being Rickie. I might have done the same thing given the situation - to keep going for it instead of counting strokes and going for the safe par and holding on to my two-stroke lead.

In his shoes, if I laid up, I would have won, but did it reflect my playing style and attitude? That's a dilemma for all of us, pros and amateurs alike.

Like I said in another thread, three major things had to happen for Rickie to lose - his first dunk into the water, Matsuyama making the 20 foot putt on the first playoff hole, and Rickie dunking it again on the 17th. Rickie's loss was the result of many events, including pars that should have been birdies, not just that good shot on the 17th that met bad luck.

His closeout on the 17th hole so many times during the Players last year was signature Rickie. Totally badass. I would expect nothing less from someone who flips motorcycles in his spare time.

Never mind if he didn't win, I'm sure there will be more to come. Even if he didn't win, the guy's got huevos.

Really felt for Rickie during that sad presser. Showed that he's into golf for more than a paycheck. Plays to win, for himself, and his family.

Rickie was pretty emotional in his post-tournament interview last night. It's obvious this week meant a lot to him and I respect the way he carried himself around the course. Also, this is what I want to see more of, players truly taking the time to give back to the fans at the events. More than an hour after the loss, still signing autographs and making kids feel special. That's freaking awesome.

Even with those crazy jogger pants, I am becoming a pretty big Fowler fan. I hope he justifies some conversation about being a genuine part of the top four. It is an attitude like this, an extra effort like this, that will grow this game.

CapzSJCUUAARUnh.jpg:large

Missed the post game interview yesterday, but how can you not be a fan of Rickie when you see an image like that? Great stuff!

Love everything about his performance yesterday. Each day I'm more on the Rickie bandwagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it looked like he caught he back edge of that slope before the green and it just launched his ball forward.

If you watch it carefully you'll see that Rickie's ball actually landed SHORT of where Matsuyama's ball landed, but Rickie caught the downslope and just launched forward.

I enjoyed that press conference yesterday. The pure raw emotions showed me what he's made of. The signing of autographs is awesome also.

No doubt he's a rising star & I hope he captures a major this year. What I like the most is that he has a short term memory. He gets over bad shots or bad results quickly and that's needed on tour

Rickie was pretty emotional in his post-tournament interview last night. It's obvious this week meant a lot to him and I respect the way he carried himself around the course. Also, this is what I want to see more of, players truly taking the time to give back to the fans at the events. More than an hour after the loss, still signing autographs and making kids feel special. That's freaking awesome.

Even with those crazy jogger pants, I am becoming a pretty big Fowler fan. I hope he justifies some conversation about being a genuine part of the top four. It is an attitude like this, an extra effort like this, that will grow this game.

CapzSJCUUAARUnh.jpg:large

How do you not root for this guy, such a class act from top to bottom, love seeing his success as of late and hope he keeps it going all year, easy pick to cheer for!

I have always liked Ricky, why hit driver there in reg. 5 iron leaves you 60 yards and a win

I have always liked Ricky, why hit driver there in reg. 5 iron leaves you 60 yards and a win

That's why he's Rickie Fowler though.

He did something similar after tigers event two years ago at congressional. He handled all his media obligations, he head to walk through the autograph area to,get to the clubhouse. There were fans 4-5 deep all around the area and he took time to sign what seemed like everyone's request and took photos with those who requested one and talked with anyone who had a question or comment for him.

True, but SO many were missing that read on 16 it seemed. I would think that after missing that putt, if I had a two shot lead with two holes, on a reachable 17 with the pin where it was. I'm thinking about taking any trouble away off the tee. Don't you? Why would you even give yourself the chance to mess up. Even if it means hitting an iron off the tee there?

I think you play what has been working and that's what he did. I think sensibility said 'hit what you're hitting well' and with respect, I doubt he say 360 as a real problem for water.

I agree that iron would have been a great play in regulation and the playoff, but it's so hard to do that. He screws that up and everyone would absolutely throttle him for trying to coast to victory.

Enjoying a look in on one of Fowler's Tuesday/Wednesday activities. Love that they show him working with some junior golfers in there as well.

I have become a huge fan of Rickie. One of the more amazing things I've seen is his ability to seemingly dial up an additional 30 or 40 yards with the driver when he so desires.

Which time on 17 since he hit a ball in the water both times? If in regulation I wouldn't consider it a gaffe as much as a bad break/rub of the green. He and his caddie talked through the scenario and went with what they thought was best. He hit the shot he wanted and you could see that in his reaction immediately and he ended up with a bad break at an in-opportune time.

In the playoff he went with his FW and hit a big draw into the water which he was struggling with his woods during the round off the tee with a miss left. What's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing in regulation instead of hitting driver. Even with all that he played 18 well and the first three playoff holes he pulled off some golf shots.
I was talking about the first go around on Sunday with #17. It's 317 to the pin. If he thought 3W would get him in trouble, pull the 5W or utility (not sure which one was in his bag yesterday) and play for par. I know it's easy for me to say that, but yesterday we were watching this hole and someone noted his "weird looking driver". I commented that it was the LTD (a shout out to THP for keeping me informed) and wondered why he pulled that on such a short hole. A few seconds later, he's in the drink.

I call it a gaffe because if there was a time to pull things back a bit, on a hole he routinely struggles with (I think I read a stat where he's dropped a ball in the water 9 times on that hole), he failed to do so.

Man what a loss. I feel like coming in 2nd is harder on a player than finishing outside the top 10. This will be remembered more as Fowler loss than a Matsuyama win even though Matsuyama did an outstanding job.

Rickie has really impressed me since he moved to Butch. I remember talking with the Cobra guys at LIITA this spring and T.O. told the story of how Rickie won the Players, fulfilled all of his media obligations (which were extensive) and still made it (early) to a publicity deal for Cobra early the next morning that was 4 hours away. I know he's human, but the guy sounds like the real deal. His post round conference and the pictures of him signing autographs speak to his character.

Compare his behavior with Dustin Johnson at the US Open last year, or even Cam Newton after the game last night. I'm a big DJ fan, and I can understand perfectly why he made the post-round decisions he made. I'm only using that example to show how much of a sportsman Rickie Fowler is.

Rickie Fowler is definitely growing the game in a positive direction. And I hope this defeat will be the motivation that he needs to finally notch a major victory.

But MAN I can't stand looking at those stupid pants...

I honestly used to hate Ricky Fowler. His swing, the long hair, the all orange and plenty of other reasons I made up in my head. Well that all has changed. This dude can play and he is an absolute class act! I am seriously becoming a huge Ricky Fowler fan and I wish this kid the best of luck! I hope he gets a major this year! I really turned the corner when he was voted the most overrated player on tour then goes out the same week and wins the players! That was just awesome!

Finally got a chance to watch last night after the super bowl and can't believe the outcome... that 17th hole... What a playoff though.

All jokes aside about Rickie and his get up he really seems like a good kid with great game.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back