TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

Nice man! I love the rain, but hate when it interferes with my golfing plans.

Are you guys in leagues at a country club or a public course? I'd love to do something like that around here.

I demoed a combo set of the MC and CB's at the outing. I do have to say I am in love with the MCs. I think I would go with a 6-PW MC and 4-5 of the CBs. Even though I didn't shoot that good for the weekend, I felt like my iron play with these was great. I had some really great shots that felt great too. I think the part that killed my scores was wedges and putting. It is sad when you lose most of your shots within 100yds. I still plan on waiting till my hadicapp drops a bit before I go after these irons. If I can reach that goal be summers end, I might be changing out the R9s.

I have the mix set that dmb is considering. I had a very off and on time at PGA National (I know a lot of us did, they were tough courses), however the one thing I knew I could count on was my irons. I still love these irons just as much as ever! They are super solid irons and after demoing a bunch of other irons this weekend, these are still my favorite!

Yeah I just got fitted for the MCs 2 weeks ago and they arrived at my house this morning. I am beyond excited at this point to get them in my bag and hopefully play 3 rounds with them this weekend (weather permitting)!

I just got mine today, and there are such an improvement over my old clubs. They feel great and are just a blast to hit.

played these over the weekend down at the outing. Hit some real good shots, and some shots that I needed to forget about. On 2 occasions I found myself with a soft lie in the fairway. The combination of the sharp leading edge, the soft ground, and a steep swing led to fat city. Both time the club dug so deep that it pretty much stopped and didn't allow for a follow through. Those shots hurt big time. I played with RBelbin on Sunday and during the end of the round the breeze started to pick up. He hits the ball a mile and high, while these for me keep the ball on a nice medium trajectory. It appeared that the wind had more effect on his shots than they did my iron shots.

I actually met someone who didn't like these. I showed them to him and he said something to the effect of, "I don't like how the back is all busy, I prefer clean looking blades." This guy was an idiot. He was a very serious golfer. He probably had a swing speed of 105 and was complaining that his X-Stiff shaft on his TP driver was too flexible. I don't know if he hit a good shot all day.

Normally, people always commenting on the technology that is in my bag and how thin the heads look. I wanted to tell him to give the Burner 2.0 irons a try as he really seemed to need some good GI irons.

I actually met someone who didn't like these. I showed them to him and he said something to the effect of, "I don't like how the back is all busy, I prefer clean looking blades." This guy was an idiot. He was a very serious golfer. He probably had a swing speed of 105 and was complaining that his X-Stiff shaft on his TP driver was too flexible. I don't know if he hit a good shot all day.

Normally, people always commenting on the technology that is in my bag and how thin the heads look. I wanted to tell him to give the Burner 2.0 irons a try as he really seemed to need some good GI irons.

Love it! Did you tell him that you had some Hogans he could use if he prefered "clean lines"?

I had a very off weekend at WPB, however, if felt the one constant was my iron play. I hit my irons very consistently and had I done anything else consistently I could have had much lower scores! I am still in love with these irons!

I have the mix set that dmb is considering. I had a very off and on time at PGA National (I know a lot of us did, they were tough courses), however the one thing I knew I could count on was my irons. I still love these irons just as much as ever! They are super solid irons and after demoing a bunch of other irons this weekend, these are still my favorite!

I saw a guy at the course on Monday who was playing the full mixed set. CB, MC, MB. I didn't get a chance to talk to him about his selection of clubs but I'm curious as to how all of these clubs work together. I think his set composition from my quick glance was 3-4 CB, MC5-7, MB 8-PW. I think on a good day I could play the 8-PW MC's but I don't think I could play the MB's, I need a bit more forgivness.

Played another 9 hole match in my league last night.

The MCs were definitely the stars of the show. I won my match with a score of 41, with many of my lost strokes due to my hit and miss tee game. But once in range, I'm not sure I missed a green today with the MCs or my other wedges. Probably the best MC I hit was a PW from 140ish yards away in a pretty mediocre lie in the rough. Swung hard, the MC cut right through the rough and I ended up pin high about 15 feet. Big hazard in front of the green too, but I'm just really confident with these short irons in my hands.

On a sidenote, the course where the league is held seemed downright easy after playing the Squire and Champions courses this weekend.

DMB, you were striking those MCs really nicely. For those who didn't witness it, several times in our scramble round DMB hit 7 and 8 irons to within birdie distance, with a nice little draw.

I saw a guy at the course on Monday who was playing the full mixed set. CB, MC, MB. I didn't get a chance to talk to him about his selection of clubs but I'm curious as to how all of these clubs work together. I think his set composition from my quick glance was 3-4 CB, MC5-7, MB 8-PW. I think on a good day I could play the 8-PW MC's but I don't think I could play the MB's, I need a bit more forgivness.

I hit the MB PW and 9 iron at the demo day and I hit them well. I thought to myself, I can hit these! Then I thought... WHY??? :D
I really don't know what I would gain by hitting a MB PW over a MC, I truly do not think it is accuracy. Maybe I am wrong.

Haven't gotten to hit in little bit so today I played hooky and decided to play. Was going to hit a bucket but they called my name so only after handful of balls I'm off.

Just concentrated on making a good smooth swing and the clubs didn't fail. But I found myself being too aggressive with these clubs cause I could hit so well which obviously caused lot of problems lol.

Anyway was laying ok not great. Came to eighth hole which is a par 3 193 yards. Bunker to the left and water all along the right side. Had a club to club and a half face wind. So I decided to hit knockdown 4. I hit it flush and it covered the flag but couldn't see the ball land cause of the glare but thought to myself that hopefully it will be close.

Get to the hole and don't see the ball. No way it was long so I look short and still no ball. Just in case I look inside and holy moly...I just got my first ACE. And the people I was playing with started to scream and yell like they got the hole in one. It felt weird like did this really happen? It's little surreal.

I wanted to share not to brag but more to thank the testers and the people who with their reviews made me spontaneous buy these clubs. Spontaneous purchases never last long and usually end up regretting. But this time, it has to be the best ever.

I always played blades but decided I just don't practice nor play enough to warrant blades and so I was about to purchase Adams CB1 or 2's and then I saw this thread. Luckily I did...thank you all for my ACE.

Didn't want to elaborate too much and using the iPhone I'm sure there are mistakes ... But bottom line is that these clubs I'm sure aren't for everyone, but with a decent swing these clubs are truly a gem. And when you work out your swing, these babies will absolutely deliver. The feel, the looks is more then one could expect.

Btw...I did purchase $10 worth of lotto just in case kekeke.

Haven't gotten to hit in little bit so today I played hooky and decided to play. Was going to hit a bucket but they called my name so only after handful of balls I'm off.

Just concentrated on making a good smooth swing and the clubs didn't fail. But I found myself being too aggressive with these clubs cause I could hit so well which obviously caused lot of problems lol.

Anyway was laying ok not great. Came to eighth hole which is a par 3 193 yards. Bunker to the left and water all along the right side. Had a club to club and a half face wind. So I decided to hit knockdown 4. I hit it flush and it covered the flag but couldn't see the ball land cause of the glare but thought to myself that hopefully it will be close.

Get to the hole and don't see the ball. No way it was long so I look short and still no ball. Just in case I look inside and holy moly...I just got my first ACE. And the people I was playing with started to scream and yell like they got the hole in one. It felt weird like did this really happen? It's little surreal.

I wanted to share not to brag but more to thank the testers and the people who with their reviews made me spontaneous buy these clubs. Spontaneous purchases never last long and usually end up regretting. But this time, it has to be the best ever.

I always played blades but decided I just don't practice nor play enough to warrant blades and so I was about to purchase Adams CB1 or 2's and then I saw this thread. Luckily I did...thank you all for my ACE.

Didn't want to elaborate too much and using the iPhone I'm sure there are mistakes ... But bottom line is that these clubs I'm sure aren't for everyone, but with a decent swing these clubs are truly a gem. And when you work out your swing, these babies will absolutely deliver. The feel, the looks is more then one could expect.

Btw...I did purchase $10 worth of lotto just in case kekeke.

That is awesome hi1! What a fantastic story! Glad you are loving these irons.

I hit the MB PW and 9 iron at the demo day and I hit them well. I thought to myself, I can hit these! Then I thought... WHY??? :D
I really don't know what I would gain by hitting a MB PW over a MC, I truly do not think it is accuracy. Maybe I am wrong.

That is another good point. If you are not gaining anything between the MC's and MB's there is no point in switching. Especially when the MC's offer a lil more forgivness. I've fallen in love with my long iron CB's. Like I posted in the CB thread, the CB 4i has resurrected my ability to hit a 4i and not have to use my 4h so much. Since your set is mostly MC what is your most versatile MC club, Dr.????

That is another good point. If you are not gaining anything between the MC's and MB's there is no point in switching. Especially when the MC's offer a lil more forgivness. I've fallen in love with my long iron CB's. Like I posted in the CB thread, the CB 4i has resurrected my ability to hit a 4i and not have to use my 4h so much. Since your set is mostly MC what is your most versatile MC club, Dr.????

I love my 6 iron! I don't know why but I just feel super confident with that club in my hands. But my most versatile club is my 8 iron. I use it for full shots (about 155) , chips and it is my go to club if I need to hit a nice low 100 yard hit and run shot. That shot got me out of trouble a couple of times this weekend. I am with you about the CB long irons, I anm really happy with the 5 iron and I am getting more happy with the 4 iron.

I can't say how much I am loving having these in my bag. The shot profile with my dg x100s is exactly what I was looking for. I now have played these enough that I can recognize exactly where I struck the ball on the face. It's a very strange sensation to know where the ball is going to go with out looking up.

I've been pleased with the forgiveness of these irons. One thing that I have noticed is that hitting the ball higher up on the face causes a pretty decent amount of distance to be lost. It was frustrating initially when playing irons off the tee to determine the proper height for me to pure the ball on the face. After lowering the ball on the tee so it is barely above ground level I have been able to find that balance.

I would highly recommend trying these out and seeing if they suit your game. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and now that I'm comfortable with them I'm looking forward to posting some lower scores.

So I am finally getting to post my thoughts about these (and other clubs) from the outing. It seems that when you go on vacation in my business you come home to more work than you expected.

I came into the outing really wanting to get a feel for two things- Are there irons that I would want to replace these with? Are these the best irons for me?

I tried them against the Zstar, Adams Redline, Taylormade MC's, Calloway Razr line, and the CG16 tours.
I liked all of the irons above but none of them really jumped out at me for being above and beyond the MC's that I am currently playing. I liked the Zstar and redline a lot, but not enough that I would consider changing sets. While there are other forged irons on my list above I didn't experience the exact same "feeling" as with the MCs, and none of them seemed as well balanced as the MCs (The CBs did, but that was expected).

BUT.
This weekend was the first time I showed a real frustration with the limited forgiveness of these irons. Over the course of the weekend there were several shots that I caught a little on the toe. One shot in particular that comes to mind was on a par 5 on the champion course. I had a 7i into an elevated green but didn't manage a perfectly clean contact. The ball was right on line with the pin but came up 5 yards short, hit the front of the green and rolled back into a short sided bunker. Instead of <10 ft putt I was left with a nasty up and down.

Another great example was on the Haig monday AM. I played a PW right at a pin but hit is out on the toe. The ball lost a little yardage and instead of hitting the front of the green it hit in the rough and trickled onto the fringe. Another 1 yard of carry would have left me with a 10-15ft birdie putt.

I don't know that the lost forgiveness was really a big issue on my home course because there aren't a lot of "carries" into greens... but on new courses where I don't know the safe miss, or where I am playing a little more aggressive the lack of true forgiveness in these irons can certainly add strokes to your score. Perhaps I need to head back to PGA and play a dozen rounds on the champ- 6 with MCs and 6 with a GI club and figure out which way I score better. Anyone want to fund this testing for me?

Rx, I think the questioning you have going on right now is exactly why I, about 3 years ago, decided to pursue irons with a tad more forgiveness. It really all depends buddy. It depends on whether or not you are content playing your home course all the time and knowing it and knowing where to miss, or if you want to be able to play any and all courses as well as you can play your homecourse.

I've been there dude, I really have, it's one of the reasons why I found THP in the first place. It might not be the worst idea to pick up another set (something with a bit more forgiveness ie, Zstars, Razr X Tours, CB's for that matter) and just see what happens.

Believe me TC, it is something that has very much been on my mind. The Zstars are a very compelling option in the GI category, with the forged seriousness and the stronger lofts. I'll no longer be giving up a full iron to everyone else in my group who plays Burner 2.0 and X24s.

I really do love these irons, and the fact that I have played 20+ rounds on them and this is the first time I feel like it really hurt me. BUT, I would prefer that things like this to not happen very often. I am afraid it will become a regular thing and not a short term/one time thing.

It depends on whether or not you are content playing your home course all the time and knowing it and knowing where to miss, or if you want to be able to play any and all courses as well as you can play your homecourse.

TC what you said there is part of the reason I decided to go with the Razr X for the MC. Like I told you when were teeing it up, I can play these irons(at least in my mind), without much of a problem. When it came down to the RX Tour and the RX, I saw similar ball flights with the same shaft in each and took the extra forgiveness.

Gus have you tried playing at all recently with your other set of irons?

Believe me TC, it is something that has very much been on my mind. The Zstars are a very compelling option in the GI category, with the forged seriousness and the stronger lofts. I'll no longer be giving up a full iron to everyone else in my group who plays Burner 2.0 and X24s.

I really do love these irons, and the fact that I have played 20+ rounds on them and this is the first time I feel like it really hurt me. BUT, I would prefer that things like this to not happen very often. I am afraid it will become a regular thing and not a short term/one time thing.

Yeah, the old Catch 22 bro. I'm a firm believer in "going with your gut". I'd at least experiment with other options and let the data decide for you.

Played a round with DawgDaddy today. I shot a miserable 89 with 2 birdies. My iron play has been very bad the last few rounds while my driver and short game has been pretty good.

However, I did have this awesome shot on a par 3 with a pitching wedge.
a6890eb5-1fc8-2a5c.jpg

TapaTalk: More addictive than crack and World of Warcraft.

THP has been fantastic. helped me select my TM TP CB's. However, I am thinking of moving to the MC's since I have 90 days to decide. Just feel like the CB's look a bit like a shovel, and I tend to play better with a smaller face. Anyway, I LOVE the DG XP S300 shafts. I was thinking of getting the MC's with the XP - anything think that is a horrible combo? I feel like the MC's will give me the feel I desire, less clunky, and the the XP's will give me the spin and ball flight I really like. Anyway done this yet - anyone think it is crazy? Thanks in advance!

THP has been fantastic. helped me select my TM TP CB's. However, I am thinking of moving to the MC's since I have 90 days to decide. Just feel like the CB's look a bit like a shovel, and I tend to play better with a smaller face. Anyway, I LOVE the DG XP S300 shafts. I was thinking of getting the MC's with the XP - anything think that is a horrible combo? I feel like the MC's will give me the feel I desire, less clunky, and the the XP's will give me the spin and ball flight I really like. Anyway done this yet - anyone think it is crazy? Thanks in advance!

Well, I don't think its crazy to match a shaft you like to a club head you like, but you may run into some overall club weight / feel issues. Playing the MCs, I LOVE the overall balance of these clubs with the stock DG shafts (130ish grams). I'm not sure what the effect would be by removing 30 or 40 grams (can't remember how heave the XPs are exactly) from the MCs, but most likely it will change the swing weight. Maybe you can get this done by Taylormade so they can change out the weighted "screws" in the back of the heads to match the lighter shafts? That might be a good option if possible. I would certainly contact Taylormade customer support before taking the plunge.

good point...

good point...

great point - had not thought about the weight issue. i know the DG S300 is 130 grams and the XP is 115 grams. I will call TM and see what they think as to the weight issue. Would 15 grams really make a difference? Maybe, just maybe.

Another question for all, especially those who have played both the CB and MC - I actually really like the CB, but it feels clunky and thick at times. Is it weird to actually seem to lose confidence with a larger clubface? I play to an 11 and just shot my first sub-80 round today with the CB's. I love them much of the time, but too often feel as if I cannot necessarily point and shoot to an exact target, more like shooting to an area - whereas when I play my friends MC's and S57's, it seems I can really pinpoint the actual shot. Seems counterintuitive - wouldn't the CB's only help my game? Why move to the MC's? But, my cap is heading south at about one digit every two months - would the CB's not give the room to grow - or is the need to have a smaller club face just an ego thing?? Arrrgghhh!!

Back