They usually use Brandy don't they at the Supper Clubs?
That's the default. Brandy Old Fashioned Sweet. Not my favorite. Way too sweet.

Gave the Makers 46 a try tonight. Super interesting how different some of these hit.

I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant on all of it, so I'll keep my full opinion relatively muted for now, but I am curious about your perspectives on how to drink bourbon. Do you cut it with a touch of water? Every video says even a couple drops support the flavor getting unpacked a bit.

Do you go neat or on the rocks. I think from a purely flavor based perspective I've enjoyed it more neat.

Anything decent on ice is just a waste. Kills so much of the taste and flavors.

I tend to go neat a majority of the time.
Sometimes a few drops of water. Does open up the nose and flavors a bit on more complex ones.

Sometimes a splash of water.

Sometimes a single whiskey stone.

Gave the Makers 46 a try tonight. Super interesting how different some of these hit.

I'll admit I'm a bit ignorant on all of it, so I'll keep my full opinion relatively muted for now, but I am curious about your perspectives on how to drink bourbon. Do you cut it with a touch of water? Every video says even a couple drops support the flavor getting unpacked a bit.

Do you go neat or on the rocks. I think from a purely flavor based perspective I've enjoyed it more neat.
Oh man, here's how I recommend it:

Use your nose, mouth open, and get a good sniff of whiskey. If you close your mouth, the alcohol will scorch your nose. Open mouth.

Next, just a sip of bourbon neat. It's going to be hot!

Then add just a little bit of water and take another sniff and take another sip.

Repeat until you find a flavor you enjoy.

You can't take water out.

On ice is fine, but the subtleties will get muted. Depending on the whiskey, the ice will give it a thicker mouth feel (weird term) because of the chill filter process, or lack there of.

IMO, on ice takes out a lot of the uniqueness of each whiskey.

You may find out that you enjoy your whiskey best on the rocks, but that's just fine because you get to enjoy your whiskey any way you like.

I've defaulted to neat because I do think there's a greater experience. I've also been washing out my glass before starting and just using that quick water spritz as the base layer before the good good gets poured in.

What's the collective take on an old fashioned?

I prefer mine neat but to each their own. The only way to find out how you like it is to try it with water or ice

Sipped some Angels Envy and Buffalo Trace with a good friend last night

Sipped some Angels Envy and Buffalo Trace with a good friend last night
The Angel's Envy Rye might be one of my favorite experiences so far. It's insane.

Neat is my goto and default. For me it’s the way to get a baseline. Occasionally (reading the room) I’ll go to a couple drops water or chips of ice, but we’re still 90/10 max in that glass.

Oh yea, if it’s rail level, then I’ll go 73/30 to 60/40. Or, just drink beer or a dry red wine. Life’s too short.

I know I've been away from THP for the better chunk of... well since covid started... but my love for golf and whiskey hasn't slowed down at all. In fact, to keep my mind off of the reasons why I've been away, my wife and I took on a project that turned out pretty good in our minds.

My whiskey collection was in the cabinet on the left side, the rest stashed away all over the house because I ran out of room
IMG_0115.JPG

Tore it down to the concrete to build it back up. New floor, paint, and furniture...
IMG_5111.jpg
IMG_5159.jpg

The final product in all its glory, the room my wife and I lovingly refer to as The Emerald Ram.

IMG_5493 2.jpg

I'm a straight up neat drinker. Even the high proof stuff for bourbon.

I will on occasion add a drop or 2 of water to scotch but I don't like on the rocks unless it is a mixed cocktail. I hav started making some smoked cocktails where I use smoked ice cubes and that is a nice change but that is as far as I go.

You drink the way you want. Anyone who says you shouldn't do something, or can't do something because they prefer something different is wrong.

I prefer a little ice or water with my bourbon. I don't care how expensive the bottle is... I'm drinking it my way. I may try it neat at first, then add the water or ice. Sometimes I have it with the water or ice first, then try a neat pour the next time.

You drink the way you want. Anyone who says you shouldn't do something, or can't do something because they prefer something different is wrong.

I know I've been away from THP for the better chunk of... well since covid started... but my love for golf and whiskey hasn't slowed down at all. In fact, to keep my mind off of the reasons why I've been away, my wife and I took on a project that turned out pretty good in our minds.

My whiskey collection was in the cabinet on the left side, the rest stashed away all over the house because I ran out of room
View attachment 9065644

Tore it down to the concrete to build it back up. New floor, paint, and furniture...
View attachment 9065645
View attachment 9065646

The final product in all its glory, the room my wife and I lovingly refer to as The Emerald Ram.

View attachment 9065647
Good to see you back my friend. And that looks freakin awesome!!

How am I just no finding this thread!! Good stuff.
I am also a whiskey lover. I recently enjoyed a nice pour of Michters . One of my favorites.
A bottle I have tried recently and just absolutely love is Bardstown the Prisoner.

As for how I like to drink it? I have my first, smaller pour with maybe 1 small ice cube. Subsequent Pours are neat. But drink however you like it!!!

I have also come around to enjoying Islay scotch. Most recent was Lagavulin. Very good. It helped me to spend some time smelling the scotch before tasting.

Back