Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

At the course now, the Nike Demo Day starts in a little over an hour. Decided to get a little practice in before the demo. Can't wait to hit these clubs! I'll post my initial thoughts after.

have fun, but don't try too hard

I hit the 7 iron at my course yesterday and man it felt crisp and clean when I hit it dead center and if I missed it slightly I could tell right away if I heeled it or toed it! In fact, I could feel it so well that I really felt like I was able to save a few of the toed shots with my hands and steer then back towards my target!

I am extremely excited by these irons and I look forward to hearing the great reviews from whoever is chosen!

Thanks again to :thp: and to :nike: for such a great opportunity!

Marius, I also have the X-22 irons. Could you give me a rundown on how the cavity backs of this set compared to the forgiveness of the X-22's? I know the 22's are not the MOST forgiving iron, but how was the transition?

Honestly I found it easier to pick up these irons and start using them with good results compared to when I bought the X22's and started using them full time from my old clubs. I was completely impressed.

Forgiveness wise, the good hits were as good as or better than my X22's and I'd say the bad ones maybe gave up some distance but not much compared to a similar bad hit off my X22's. I only wish I had them with me at the demo day so I could have hit them side by side. I'd have to say though that I'd feel no shame bagging the combo's and they would probably force me to be a better golfer overall. I don't hit the 4i from my x22 set well at all and I don't even bag it but I thought the 4i from the combo set was pretty nice. Its a club I could definitely see myself using off the tee when I want a lower more penetrating shot.

Last edited:
The beautiful thing about THP testing is it happens every single month. Irons, drivers, wedges, putters, golf balls, training aids and more.
It sure does and the amount of items to test as well as the number of testers required is growing as well.

Stay active everyone!

It sure does and the amount of items to test as well as the number of testers required is growing as well.

Stay active everyone!

You can count on that one, THP is my second home

+3 or so. I don't know how that works. More members = more opportunities. I don't look at these as free clubs honestly. The good testers work really hard. This is a great opportunity for THP to bring another big OEM into the fold. This is an important testing so I don't care if it's old members or new members. I just want the testers to pour their hearts into it for the good of the forum. Do a great job and Nike will be happy. A happy OEM means more opportunities for everyone. 7 lucky folks have some fun but hard work ahead and I can't wait to see how it unfolds. Good luck everyone!!

I agree completely, and I can't wait to hear the testers reviews, especially since I was able to hit these at the demo day, and have some of my own thoughts on them already. I actually think this will make for a more detailed review with many more questions for the testers since 50 other THP'ers have already hit these at the demo day. I can't wait to see who gets selected for this test. Kudos to THP, and NIKE!

Stay active everyone!

I haven't been here long but just seeing how many people have joined in the past two months alone is just astonishing and how many people that are wanting to be testers has to be great for THP. I'll be happy for the testers just hope their ready for the hard work cause I sure will be checking up on these irons and will be asking plenty of questions about these bad boys.

Me too if I don't get picked, but if I do ill be ready to answer and welcome all questions

I now tap while I talk

I blame TC for getting me over excited about these irons, although to be fair he didn't need to do much...

I'll be sleeping with a picture of these irons and hoping to get the chance to go to work for the good people at THP... but either way I'll be looking forward to seeing the 'Lucky 7' and reading all the reviews!

Thanks again to THP and NIKE for making this amazing opportunity even possible...

I am sure JB and GG have a tough time picking players to test these. Wish everyone the best of luck.

I blame TC for getting me over excited about these irons, although to be fair he didn't need to do much...

I'll be sleeping with a picture of these irons and hoping to get the chance to go to work for the good people at THP... but either way I'll be looking forward to seeing the 'Lucky 7' and reading all the reviews!

lol, sorry buddy! They're that good though. Hey, trust me, it's killing me too. I didn't enter this one b/c of the Morgan Cup and the fact that I know I wouldn't dedicate the time to these like I should.

Whoever gets selected is getting some wicked irons and I'll be sure to ask slews of questions. I hope the selected few understand what being selected entails, that's all. I want pictures and videos, and I want them constantly.

lol, sorry buddy! They're that good though. Hey, trust me, it's killing me too. I didn't enter this one b/c of the Morgan Cup and the fact that I know I wouldn't dedicate the time to these like I should.

Whoever gets selected is getting some wicked irons and I'll be sure to ask slews of questions. I hope the selected few understand what being selected entails, that's all. I want pictures and videos, and I want them constantly.

Trust me, I can give you a lot of pictures, but videos (at least hi quality ones) will be more difficult for me. Just so you all know going in if I am selected.

Reading through this thread makes me super excited for the announcement, and even more excited to read about these clubs. I'll be in the market for a new set of sticks in the near future and have been looking at these since they've been released.

Current irons are the Adams CB1, with the 3 through gap wedge with the PX 6.0's. My index is 3.8. I live in kind of an isolated area, so I have not seen these in person, but they look like a players irons, and something I would try, given an opportunity. As for testing, I play at least 3 times a week, and hit the range a couple of more times. I have access to a very short course that I usually play all irons on, and I could easily compare between the Nike irons and my current set. Thanks for the opportunity!

Going to have some absolutely thrilled people tomorrow. Good luck!

Man I am so antsy for this one. This is one of the best testing opportunities in a long time. Congrats early for all those that get selected!

thats what makes you a standout guy and very much respected on here :thumb:

I'm super excited for those of you who get picked! I'm also super excited for school to end in 2 weeks so I can spend all day on here chatting with you guys!

Ok, I went to the Nike Demo Day today and tested out practically every club he had to offer, but spent a lot of time with the VR Pro Combos. (Sorry for the delay, it was a busy day and I didn't want to type all of this on my phone) Here are my initial thoughts on these clubs, as well as thoughts on the different shafts I tried with them.

After demoing the VR PC for about an hour, let me start by saying PLEASE PICK ME! :fingers-crossed: My initial thoughts are: clubs are beautiful, feel incredible, and perform extremely well. I simply did not want to put these clubs down and hit probably 75-100+ balls with them. I just kept going back for more!

Looks - A lot has been said about these clubs as far as looks go, and let me tell you that these clubs may be the best looking clubs I have ever seen. They are simple, yet stylish, and have a little flash to them as well. I was intrigued (at first) about the size and amount of grooves. It looked a little different at setup, but not in a bad way, just took a shot or two to get used to. Standing over these irons, I felt extremely confident. I really liked the composition of the set as far as looks go. The 4I has a slight pocket cavity that you can barely see at address, the 6I was a muscle back which looked more like a blade at address, and the PW was a full blade looked great at address.

Performance - My initial thoughts are that the VR PC honestly performed above my expectations (Keep in mind I was only able to hit them for about an hour). I went in with an open mind, but I did have a slightly biased (good) expectation from reading the reviews on this site about them. These clubs blew me away to be honest. I thought they may be a little harder to hit, especially the (blade) short irons, for someone with my HC. I was wrong, I trusted my swing and these clubs really performed well. I have been working on my ball striking a lot so that probably helped. Not sure if this was because I knew they were "players" irons or what, but I felt like I could hit whatever shot I needed to with the VR PC in my hands. I was able to fade it, and draw it if I tried to, but I focused mostly on hitting the ball straight. When testing them side by side with my current irons, I can honestly say that the VR PC performed slightly better. My shot dispersion was a little less and a gained a little yardage (not much, and it depended on the shaft I was testing). Also, it seemed a lot easier to take a nice divot with the VR PC. Makes sense. Also, I hit a couple mishits and wasn't penalized too much, they still went quite a ways.

Shafts - I tried the DG S300, Proj. X 5.5 Steel, Proj. X 6.0 Graphite, and KBS Tour.
DG S300 - I liked this shaft quite a bit actually. It had a little higher ball flight than I would prefer, but it felt good and the distances were comparable to other steel shafts. It was consistent though, the shot dispersion was nice.
Proj. X 5.5 Steel - This is the only shaft that I didn't really enjoy, probably because it was not the right flex for me. But they didn't have a 6.0 steel so I gave it a try. I hit it pretty high with these shafts, and my shot dispersion was a little higher with these.
Proj. X 6.0 Graphite - These were my favorite shafts of the day. I was a little apprehensive about graphite iron shafts, but THP has helped me conquer that baseless hatred. These simply felt great, and performed even better. Shot dispersion was great, and I actually gained a few yards with them! Also, the ball flight was more penetrating than the other shafts. Plus, they look cool. Kind of looks like Vibrant treated shafts. If I were to somehow buy these clubs, I would try to get these shafts for sure.
KBS Tour Stiff - I have these shafts in my current irons and thoroughly enjoy them. They have a great mid ball flight, feel great, and are consistent. All in all, I am happy with them.

Feel - These clubs feel great. They are very soft feeling and the ball seems to come off of them very hot. These clubs honestly feel better than my current TM's. Not that this has anything to do with forged vs. cast, I don't want to get into that. They simply felt better side by side. Also, I could feel where it was on the club face that I hit the ball (others have said this too, and it is true). This is great because it provides instant feedback on where you "missed". This may have something to do with the groove setup, but I am not sure on that.

All in all, my initial thoughts on these clubs are: they rock! They feel great, perform extremely well, and look amazing. I look forward to seeing other people's thoughts/reviews on these. I will follow this thread either way, but I hope I am one of the lucky ones chosen to test these long term.

Thank you again THP and Nike.

I know its a little late to enter but here goes!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade r7's
2. What is your handicap index? 34
3. What do you look for in an iron set? to hit the ball straight and high and have control!
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? beautiful!!!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I normally play 1-2 times a week and would write a review right after my round. i'm improving my game so hopefully a new set of irons would help out!

Well today is the day, good luck everyone who has put there name down :D

Well today is the day, good luck everyone who has put there name down :D

Yep. Good luck to all and I can't wait to see the seven testers that are selected. These are some seriously sick sticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back