Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
So, who takes full swings at wedges 100-110 yards in?

I will take 1/2 and 3/4 swings with a wedge when I am under 100. Even if my SW will go XX yards I will back off to a 3/4 GW or 1/2 PW. Niblicks are deadly 100 in I am finding. So much is made of proper gapping with wedges I am curious what everyone else does. Full swings pretty much stop with the PW for me. Not so much a gear question, more of a play style question.

100 yards carry is a full 54* wedge for me, and really the only club I would hit from that yardage.

Gap wedge full swing from 100-110 for me. Partial gap wedge down to 50. Will hit a full sand wedge (54 deg) from 65 or 70 only if I have a fluffy lie - do not like picking it clean.

I am a full swinger....
I carry a 46/50/54/58
If my distance is (115/103/90/78) then a full swing it is...
(My full swing is only 80%)
I try not to swing over that....If I feel I need to, I club down...

I swing about 85% with my gap wedge from about 100 yards.

I swing a full wedge 105 to 115. I swing a full gap wedge (54 degrees) about 90 to 100 yards. Inside that I swing a partial gap wedge. I don't swing a full sand wedge inside 90.

I've started to take my AW and hit a knockdown shot unless I have zero room in front of the green to miss.

Say a bunker is guarding the pin I'll use my 60* or my SW otherwise I'm loving my AW knockdown

Anything from a full 60 to a half 52 depending the type of shot needed.

My coach just worked with me on the shorter shots and I'm loving what he taught me. I need to take the time to go out and practice and write down my distances though. Straight back and straight through swings knee high and waist high are what I'm working on with different wedges. I'm hitting these shots so much straighter and better now. Once I get my distances dialed in, I will be so much more confident and consistent with my short game.

I'm still swinging full from that length too.

I hit a lot of 3/4 shots with a bunch of different irons, but especially with wedges. I'd rather smooth, smooth, smooth it on in there.

Kevin

From 100 in I will hit mainly knockdowns. I have more control over distance and aim that way.

I have clubs I can full swing down to 80 yards. After that it's 3/4 or 1/2 swings. I play a high fade so I am no bomber though.

Depending on conditions, (not bragging) 100 yards in would be a three quarter 58 degree for me. Btw, +2.5 handicap here, not your average golfer.
-Bennett

The only wedge I swing full (for the most part) is the PW. The others I use for touch shots or my 'full' blade wedge swing, which is really more like a 3/4 swing. I have much more control that way.

Last edited:
100 yards carry is a full 54* wedge for me, and really the only club I would hit from that yardage.

I'm the same way. My 58* wedge is my club from 80-85 yards. Now, I'm not swinging as hard at it as I would on the driver, but I'm not trying to hit a 3/4 or 1/2 shot at those distances.

Depending on conditions, (not bragging) 100 yards in would be a three quarter 58 degree for me. Btw, +2.5 handicap here, not your average golfer.
-Bennett

I would think a +2.5 would hit a lot of different shots from 100 yards depending on the circumstances. High spinners, low skippers, the works. I carry a 58* and there's no trajectory control for me beyond about 60 yards. I think a 52* wedge can be controlled much better and a number of different ways.

Kevin

I do hit alot of different shots but depending on conditions a stock 100 yards would be 3/4 58* hop and a stop. Sorry if i didnt clarify. :)

So, who takes full swings at wedges 100-110 yards in?

I will take 1/2 and 3/4 swings with a wedge when I am under 100. Even if my SW will go XX yards I will back off to a 3/4 GW or 1/2 PW. Niblicks are deadly 100 in I am finding. So much is made of proper gapping with wedges I am curious what everyone else does. Full swings pretty much stop with the PW for me. Not so much a gear question, more of a play style question.

half swings with Niblicks are MONEY!

I would think a +2.5 would hit a lot of different shots from 100 yards depending on the circumstances. High spinners, low skippers, the works. I carry a 58* and there's no trajectory control for me beyond about 60 yards. I think a 52* wedge can be controlled much better and a number of different ways.

Kevin

They usually do. Hell I'm a 3 and I am always hitting different types of shots.

Kevin

Agreed on this. I am no low capper and I still try to mix it up.

I actually had to play my 52 for all my wedge shots today because, like an idiot, I left my favorite, a 56, at home. It forced me to be creative, and I got to make some shots I would normally never consider. Pretty fun.

I havent tried to hit all of them fancy shots, I just pop it up in the air and see what happens. would love to have a low "skipper" in the bag o tricks

Rarely do I want to hit a wedge very hard so a full swing is about 80%. The ideal shot for me is 82 yards off a hard tight lie, perfect for my 60 or 95 yards the 56 wedge. Anything less than 80 is usually the 60, mostly low with stop spin. Bad lie or rough probably will be the 56.

It always surprises me how many people hit lob type wedges from a ways out. Maybe because they didn't exist when I was learning the game. I've always felt that much loft makes a club unreliable in terms of spin and trajectory. I don't want my shots to spin back. I don't want them sky high. If you get a little too good of a lie, or a little fluffy lie, the lob type wedges are hard to judge for both spin and trajectory, as well as distance.

IMHSEWLO.

Kevin

I use more tempo than swinging hard. I try to do 3/4 1/2 swings with nice smooth Tempo

Back