Pace of Play Course Solutions?

imz23

Reaction score
Handicap
New member, 1st post, long time reader. I'm commisioner of 12 man league at local public course, that is known for slow pace of play. Yesterday, starting par 5, 1st group tees off about 5-10 mins past tee time, which is a daily occurrence at the course and is about 250yds out and waiting to hit 2nd shot. I'm w/ 2nd group and starter tells us to tee off, I respond that they are still in range (3/4 of us average 250-275 yds). We continue to argue, starter saying we are 10 mins behind and need to tee off and us waiting for clearance. Finally, after about 5 mins, group ahead of us hits 2nd shot and we are now clear to hit.

Question is what are some ways for me to suggest to course to improve pace of play for entire course (always waiting on every shot) and usually at least 2 groups on every tee box. And anything links or documents to support and send to course managers?

Some of my suggestions are...
-instead of 8 minute tee times, go to 9 minutes (I know this affects the bottom line$)
- better spacing between groups, meaning group B should wait until group A ahead hits their 3rd shot (instead of starter always telling us we are clear to hit when group A hits their 2nd shot)

The course has a starter, does it have rangers? Does the course have a recommended length of time for each hole? I seen rangers pull groups off of courses because they were to far off of the recommended times.

The course already knows all the suggestions you listed and for whatever reason prefer to do it their way.

Other than going to another course, you could implement your last suggestion once you get past the first hole.

The only thing that I've found to work is to go play somewhere else.

One of the issues with this scenario is that you are starting on a par 5 and apparently most of your group are far longer than most amateur golfers off the tee. This leads to most going for the green in two meaning that most will have to wait for the group to clear the green. Because of all of these, there is virtually nothing you can do.

The only thing that I've found to work is to go play somewhere else.

If a 12 man league threatens to leave because the pace on the course is too slow, that might make them jump.

But like JB said, starting on a Par 5 is a blueprint for disaster. Guys are going to wait to go for the green in two, regardless if they can get there.

One of the issues with this scenario is that you are starting on a par 5 and apparently most of your group are far longer than most amateur golfers off the tee. This leads to most going for the green in two meaning that most will have to wait for the group to clear the green. Because of all of these, there is virtually nothing you can do.

I've noticed that a troublesome par 3 or two near the beginning can do the same. One around here in particular sends probably 60% of the people down into a big ravine to look for their ball. Then they have to hit out of the ravine and that usually isn't a one shot thing.

If a 12 man league threatens to leave because the pace on the course is too slow, that might make them jump.

Is a 12 man league (3 groups) enough to make a course do anything if they are filling up the tee times otherwise? Seems like 12 guys is a pretty small league.

Go out and buy some battery powered clocks, set them at predetirmined timings and put them on the teeboxes at 3,6,12,15 or whatever you want. When the 9:00 group passes hole 6 the clock should read 9:00. Figure out how fast you need the league to play and if a guy can't keep up he's out. About the first holes, they are always slow. I like to let the group get to their 3rd shot or on the green before I tee off. People play faster when they aren't looking back or worried they might get hit into. These are just ideas that seem to work.

i know changing the space between tee times would cost money but most courses in ireland have a space of a minimum of 12 minutes between each tee time and when it comes to top end courses it can go up to 15 mins per tee time. in saying that i have never seen a starter on any course i have played bar one which wont even let you out if you are late without ringing them not a bad thing in my mind

i know changing the space between tee times would cost money but most courses in ireland have a space of a minimum of 12 minutes between each tee time and when it comes to top end courses it can go up to 15 mins per tee time. in saying that i have never seen a starter on any course i have played bar one which wont even let you out if you are late without ringing them not a bad thing in my mind

Can I assume this is all walking?

The level of course has quite a bit to do with this too. If I'm paying $15-$20 (I consider this to be very cheap) to play a decent course (not an executive or goat track), I expect it to be packed and have to wait, because obviously everyone else is jumping on this rate and the course is packing the tee time sheet to make a profit. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to pony up the extra money and play a nicer course to avoid these things. This is my experience from where I live though, it might be different in less populated areas.

Is a 12 man league (3 groups) enough to make a course do anything if they are filling up the tee times otherwise? Seems like 12 guys is a pretty small league.

Yeah but a 12 man league is guaranteed weekly $$$. Plus the bev carts and if the course has a resturant, most of those guys have dinner. It may be enough to force the course to start looking at their practices.

Maybe a word with the GM about your situation would be in order as well. The starter pushing you to hit into your buddies because he cant keep his schedule seems a little odd to me. Any course in the country would love to have a 12 person group play their rounds with them. Thats some buying power you have. Maybe the 3 groups should get 10 mins between tee times to start, it isn't like you are gonna just stand there if it's clear to hit. Let him worry about his own schedule and you might get to set yours.

Yeah but a 12 man league is guaranteed weekly $$$. Plus the bev carts and if the course has a resturant, most of those guys have dinner. It may be enough to force the course to start looking at their practices.

Geography must play a role in this I am guessing. A 12 man league (only 3 foursomes) would have very little affect on anything in this area. A shame yes, but very true.

Maybe a word with the GM about your situation would be in order as well. The starter pushing you to hit into your buddies because he cant keep his schedule seems a little odd to me. Any course in the country would love to have a 12 person group play their rounds with them. Thats some buying power you have. Maybe the 3 groups should get 10 mins between tee times to start, it isn't like you are gonna just stand there if it's clear to hit. Let him worry about his own schedule and you might get to set yours.

I'd have to disagree with that. Around here they would cancel leagues if only 12 people signed up on most courses. That's only three groups going out.

Geography must play a role in this I am guessing. A 12 man league (only 3 foursomes) would have very little affect on anything in this area. A shame yes, but very true.

That's what I'm thinking too.

I'd have to disagree with that. Around here they would cancel leagues if only 12 people signed up on most courses. That's only three groups going out.
The only reason they would cancel is if they had to organize it. He is the commish. Few courses would turn away a recurring 12 man teetime. I watched a 20 man group show unexpectedly and get on within an hour on a Sat afternoon at a crowded course, then come back the next day and do it again.

The only reason they would cancel is if they had to organize it. He is the commish. Few courses would turn away a recurring 12 man teetime. I watched a 20 man group show unexpectedly and get on within an hour on a Sat afternoon at a crowded course, then come back the next day and do it again.

Geography definitely plays a role in this, because none of what of you said above is true around here.

Geography definitely plays a role in this, because none of what of you said above is true around here.
Hah what do your courses run on, sunshine? The courses I worked and helped build all needed revenue. You show me a public course that turns away greensfees and I'll show you a soon to be housing tract.

Hah what do your courses run on, sunshine? The courses I worked and helped build all needed revenue. You show me a public course that turns away greensfees and I'll show you a soon to be housing tract.

Courses around here have absolutely no problem filling tee times and that's why I said geography obviously plays a role in this, but I'm sure you've built and worked at most of the courses around my area and know more about it than me.

Its a different world in some areas. No courses around here that I know of would let a "league" of 3 foursomes dictate tee sheets, interval times or anything else. Whether its right or wrong, courses in our area are too full for that. Its a tourism thing and a lifestyle thing in certain areas.

Its a different world in some areas. No courses around here that I know of would let a "league" of 3 foursomes dictate tee sheets, interval times or anything else. Whether its right or wrong, courses in our area are too full for that. Its a tourism thing and a lifestyle thing in certain areas.

I would agree, not to the extent of the number of golfers in FL, but I know of enough public courses even here in OH that could care less about 12 golfers a week!

I agree with one of the first things I read, go play somewhere else. Like JB said, courses that start with par 5's create a bottle neck right away, call it bravado or whatever but most golfers want to think they can hit that 270 yard 3 wood over the water to an elevated green......even though you just watched them hit a 210 slice off the tee,

*dang autocorrection*

Last edited:
Back