Tiger making special announcement tomorrow

Maybe he's gonna announce he's gonna hire the USA Women's world cup coach as his swing coach. Maybe then he could finish a major tournament or come from behind!

I believe I will wait for the announcement before I tear it to shreds.

I don't think Tiger is as desperate for attention as some suggest. Tiger is bigger than the Open in the grand scheme of things, at least in my opinion. He hardly needs to hold a press conference to keep himself relevant.

Tiger is so polarizing and whatever he does there is attention around it. Part of it is his fault and part of it is the media because people will talk about it. Just look at this thread already, it is proof of that.

Like many have said I hope it is an announcement that will put an end to all this attention for the rest of the year and allow everyone to move on.

I don't think Tiger is as desperate for attention as some suggest. Tiger is bigger than the Open in the grand scheme of things, at least in my opinion. He hardly needs to hold a press conference to keep himself relevant.

OK . . .

Whosawhatsit????

I figured the "tiger is bigger than the open" would draw heat. But my point is, Tiger does not need some elaborate scheme to keep himself relevant, i.e., holding a press conference the week of the Open. He could retire today and still make headlines. The 2011 Open will be forgotten long before Tiger will.

Edit: Go to yahoo.com, his press conference is a headline. He may never play decent golf again, but he's the MJ of golf, and needs no help to get coverage.

BTW, my guess is Woods will be commenting on the guilty plea of Anthony Galea. If so, how was he supposed to comment about that two weeks ago, before it happened? Likewise, why would he wait until after the Open?

I figured the "tiger is bigger than the open" would draw heat. But my point is, Tiger does not need some elaborate scheme to keep himself relevant, i.e., holding a press conference the week of the Open. He could retire today and still make headlines. The 2011 Open will be forgotten long before Tiger will.

I got news for you. NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE GAME!
The Open will still be played after Eldrick Woods.
The PGA Tour will still be played after him too.
And dont discount the changing of the guard. A healthy Woods still wouldnt have been the favorite here. Be a fan all one wants, it can be great for spots, but there is no way a single person is ever bigger than the game itself. Perfect example is the last 2 years. We have an irrelevant Woods and yet there are still tournaments each and every week.

I got news for you. NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN THE GAME!
The Open will still be played after Eldrick Woods.
The PGA Tour will still be played after him too.
And dont discount the changing of the guard. A healthy Woods still wouldnt have been the favorite here. Be a fan all one wants, it can be great for spots, but there is no way a single person is ever bigger than the game itself. Perfect example is the last 2 years. We have an irrelevant Woods and yet there are still tournaments each and every week.

Certainly the game goes on. While everyone, non-golfers, knows of Tiger, I'd imagine few know that the Open exists outside of golf fans. My point is, I doubt Tiger really needed to wait for the week of the major for his interview to get attention.

I plan to play golf tomorrow, somebody please post what he says at the press conference. :popcorn:

:D

He's hired Brett Favre's publicist and will be holding a press conference to announce a press conference in two weeks. Once there, he will retire, un-retire over the winter, re-retire after a bad injury next year, un-retire... well, you get what I'm predicting. :)

:rolleyes:

We all been punked, he's healthy and will win the open by 10 strokes

Joking of course

I tapatalk better then I golfatalk

In every tournament this year he has played he has been the favorite to the sporting books here in Vegas, so I would assume he would of fact been the favorite again this week if he played. As for the timing of his announcement I don't think it really matters if he did a live interview, twitter, FB, etc. it will still get the same amount of coverage no matter what medium he used to make it. GC and the networks will still talk about Tiger throughout the tournament everyday just like they have been. Crap throughout the John Deere they talk about him and when was the last time he played the John Deere, if ever? There will never be a win-win for Tiger for announcements while he is still in the game. Sure if he had the news last week that he needed surgery he could of said something then, but then he would have been blasted for taking away from the rest of the tournament and turning it into a story about him, instead of the tournament itself and the players in it, just like if he did it this week, next week or the week after, it will be the same excuse no matter when he makes it to the haters. If it is indeed surgery, he could have went and had the surgery and then sent out a press release and the same thing would have happened. At least this way he gets all the questions out of the way and over with for now and the rest of the world can move on to listening to Chamblee, Miller, etc ramble on about him for the rest of the year and jump at any chance to compare someone to Tiger throughout the rest of the tournaments.

In every tournament this year he has played he has been the favorite to the sporting books here in Vegas, so I would assume he would of fact been the favorite again this week if he played. As for the timing of his announcement I don't think it really matters if he did a live interview, twitter, FB, etc. it will still get the same amount of coverage no matter what medium he used to make it. GC and the networks will still talk about Tiger throughout the tournament everyday just like they have been. Crap throughout the John Deere they talk about him and when was the last time he played the John Deere, if ever? There will never be a win-win for Tiger for announcements while he is still in the game. Sure if he had the news last week that he needed surgery he could of said something then, but then he would have been blasted for taking away from the rest of the tournament and turning it into a story about him, instead of the tournament itself and the players in it, just like if he did it this week, next week or the week after, it will be the same excuse no matter when he makes it to the haters. If it is indeed surgery, he could have went and had the surgery and then sent out a press release and the same thing would have happened. At least this way he gets all the questions out of the way and over with for now and the rest of the world can move on to listening to Chamblee, Miller, etc ramble on about him for the rest of the year and jump at any chance to compare someone to Tiger throughout the rest of the tournaments.

A much more eloquent post of what i was trying to say. Tiger did not need to announce during the Open week to get attention. He could take a dump and describe his stool and get a headline.

Last edited:
Damn he's going to South Beach too?

Man, I hate the Miami Heat!

Seriously though, it better be something good. And not "My rehab will include a turn on Dancing with the Stars."

If all he says is he's taking the rest of the season off then I'm going to be annoyed. That is not worth making such a production about. That is barely worth a press release, especially since it's pretty much what everyone's already figured since he's going to miss at least two majors anyway. Golf is way too interesting to need Tiger to survive. He's been a huge boon, but the game will move on and continue to draw and inspire fans.

One day we will live in a world where we won't see Tiger make an announcement before every major he doesn't play in. I was really hoping for a TW comeback after his break after the November crash, but the more I know about golf and now that I have seen him struggle through so many events, I wish he would just go away if he is not going to play. If he doesn't play great golf, he has absolutely nothing to offer me.

I would like to see him tear up a field again, but, other than that, I would prefer silence.

TapaTalk: Killing my phone's battery since 2010.

+10

I agree completely.

Ah the never ending Tiger drama that ensues in any thread. Arguing in circles of "bashers" and "lovers", Tiger has become Scotty Cameron 2.0 as far as a topic discussion goes lol

Back