Tiger making special announcement tomorrow

Ah the never ending Tiger drama that ensues in any thread. Arguing in circles of "bashers" and "lovers", Tiger has become Scotty Cameron 2.0 as far as a topic discussion goes lol

Well, I suppose the fact that he's won 14 Majors, 71 PGA Tour events, 38 European Tour events, 20 "Other" professional events along with 21 Amateur events including three straight U.S. Junior Amateur Championships followed by three straight U.S. Amateur Championships, just might have something to do with his being a topic of discussion in the golf world.

Of course I could be wrong... :D

Well, I suppose the fact that he's won 14 Majors, 71 PGA Tour events, 38 European Tour events, 20 "Other" professional events along with 21 Amateur events including three straight U.S. Junior Amateur Championships followed by three straight U.S. Amateur Championships, just might have something to do with his being a topic of discussion in the golf world.

Ancient history.

Kevin

Ancient history.

Kevin

I wasn't referring to the discussion of him, I was referring to the drama surrounding the discussions.

In fact, posts, like yours, simply re-iterate what I was stating. Someone comes to save the day singing his praises with whatever stat or number it may be and should one person disagree with anything that it is El Tigre then they are just "hater's". Then it goes vice-versa as well. It never stops, just like the Scotty lover/hater discussions.

The best part is no-one EVER denies what Tiger has done or that he's fun to watch when he's on yet its the same cycle again and again, cracks me up.

I agree that he's probably saying game over for the near future.

I agree that he probably talked with his docs and probably made the decision very recently

i agree that announcing it this week was something that was advised to him by his publicist/handlers/sponsers/people that want him in the limelight for their profit

i agree that ultimately it's on him, and that open championship week is an inappropriate time for him to bring attention to himself. Tiger is not a stupid person (perkins jokes aside), he understands the power he has, he understands the attention he draws. Even though it is highly probable that he was advised when and how to do this, and highly probable that this is a very recent decision, it's still his decision when to go public and how that will be recieved. Having an announcement during the open does detract attention from said championship no matter how you want to distort it and say it doesn't (with the devil's advocate being that he just recently recieved this news/made the decision and thinks that this is the opportune time because a major will overshadow his news; which history tells us is baloney as everything tiger overshadows everything else golf. it might not be right, but it just is. i mean look at us, there's been an announcement of an announcement and we're already 3/4th's of the way to having as many responses as the entire john deere tourny thread)

Because of that equation (everything tiger > anything golf), there is no time where he could make any announcement and have it not dwarf whatever tournament is that week, i think, wheveter announcement he has to make, would be best not being made during the week of a major. But I guess whatever he does, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. Thing is it's his own making for carrying on the way he has throughout his career. I'm a tiger apologist but even I have recognize that much

Yes, Yes, Yes and the bolded. Haters gonna Hate and fans are going to wear rose colored glasses, I'm of course the latter.

So true Smallz! And that's coming from a TW fan.

I wasn't referring to the discussion of him, I was referring to the drama surrounding the discussions.

In fact, posts, like yours, simply re-iterate what I was stating. Someone comes to save the day singing his praises with whatever stat or number it may be and should one person disagree with anything that it is El Tigre then they are just "hater's". Then it goes vice-versa as well. It never stops, just like the Scotty lover/hater discussions.

The best part is no-one EVER denies what Tiger has done or that he's fun to watch when he's on yet its the same cycle again and again, cracks me up.

Oh there's plenty of drama to go with Tiger and I know that as well as anyone. What I was basically saying is that if Tiger was someone who won a couple of big time events and otherwise had a yawner of a career, an announcement by him wouldn't amount to a fart in the wind. But because he is who he is, he could break a shoelace and there'd be twenty-five reporters wanting to know every detail.

As far as the lovers/haters thing goes, I get a kick out of watching the two sides duke it out. It reminds me of the Bill Clinton or George Bush lovers and haters; there's no middle ground and each side thinks they're right.

As far as I'm concerned, I love watching Tiger play and I guess you could say I'm a fan, but I really have no problem with this or any other announcement and it won't draw my attention from The Open one bit. If the talking heads want to make a big deal out of it, I guess that's up to them. For me, I just want to see some good golf at the Open and whatever Tiger has to say isn't going to change that.

Oh there's plenty of drama to go with Tiger and I know that as well as anyone. What I was basically saying is that if Tiger was someone who won a couple of big time events and otherwise had a yawner of a career, an announcement by him wouldn't amount to a fart in the wind. But because he is who he is, he could break a shoelace and there'd be twenty-five reporters wanting to know every detail.

As far as the lovers/haters thing goes, I get a kick out of watching the two sides duke it out. It reminds me of the Bill Clinton or George Bush lovers and haters; there's no middle ground and each side thinks they're right.

As far as I'm concerned, I love watching Tiger play and I guess you could say I'm a fan, but I really have no problem with this or any other announcement and it won't draw my attention from The Open one bit. If the talking heads want to make a big deal out of it, I guess that's up to them. For me, I just want to see some good golf at the Open and whatever Tiger has to say isn't going to change that.

Well said indeed. I can dig that.

And rep for you for the "fart in the wind" comment lol

Tiger did not need to announce during the Open week to get attention. He could take a dump and describe his stool and get a headline.

You're right about the dump part.....I mean isn't that what he did at The Players? :D

And you're also right about he didn't need to announce it during Open week to get attention....so try and explain why he is doing it?

Thanks for helping make my point, mighty nice of you.

I do contend that mr. Stricker and mr. Tiger are closer friends than either one will probably ever publicly admit. what does that have to do with anything? absolutely nothing. do i have any evidence to support my hypothesis? nope

It won't be that big of a deal if he's shutting it down for the year.. Every newspaper in the UK is in full-fledged Rory mania and will go "Tiger who?"

TW will not take anything away from The Open Championship anymore than he took away from the US Open. He would have been a topic in all golf circles regardless if he had called this presser or not. To some the worlds best golfer is missing another Major. Each one he misses lessens his chance at Jack's record, this is news!
As for a changing of the guard, no one golfer had stepped up. TW moved out the way due to injury. Take away his 5 to 6 wins a year on a select schedule and guys are still winning. Last two years it was DJ, GMAC with a little Bubba mixed in. This year you still get some Bubba with a dash of SS, a pinch of Phil, a little Rory, mix in Watney and some random talent. I'm not even sure the total number of 1st winners is as high as it was a few years back when TW was #1. So really the constant, TW, has been removed and the tour moves on as usual. But there really hasn't been a changing of the guard, IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best post I have ever read in a TW thread.

You're right about the dump part.....I mean isn't that what he did at The Players?

That is funny.

I was going to write this the same exact way.:D Now I dont have to Thanks Tadashi:glasses-cool:

Watching Morning Drive: Steve Sands just checked in from The Open and stated the biggest thing currently being discussed by the pros and caddies is the upcoming announcement. Second most talked about topic is if the weather doesn't change, winner will be deep in double figures.

Steinberg just sent out a press email and said no announcement is scheduled.

Hehehe. That's sort of ironic. An announcement about no announcement. At least he's consistent.

I think Tiger and Steinberg were checking THP to get a "pulse of the people" and realized that this is not a good idea. Behold the power of THP!

Anything to keep themselves in the news.

Like I said, he has probably hired Favre's publicist and the circus has just begun...

until Thursday morning...

WTF is going on?

Tiger woods is announcing via the Golf Channel that he will not be making an announcement on the Golf Channel as previously reported by the Golf Channel and various other media outlets?

so the annoucement was that there was no annoucement? Sounds about right

They are messing with us....:confused2:

I heard that his agent "cancelled" his press-conference, but I didn't hear that's he's now going to do it on Thursday.

Back