Another "how do you handle this" thread...the "lazy camillo"

bradley8302

Reaction score
Handicap
I play with a group of about 8 guys, normally all 8 don't play at once, but we can at least get a 4some out of all 8. One of the guys has a few things that irk not only me, but others we play with; and that have been mentioned numerous times to him. This is his main one though:
-It's not only cheating, but is so disrespectful to the course and the other golfers playing behind us. When on the green putting, he doesn't just stand or squat to read the putt, he actually gets down on his hands and knees. I'm not talking Camillo spiderman here either, thus the "lazy camillo" name. We've all brought up that it's cheating and/or he's making indentations with his knees, which obviously mess up the green; to which his response is normally "dude it hasn't rained here in days, the ground is too hard to dent like that" and when refer to the sprinkler systems that all courses have, he responds with "it's alright I'm a landscaper, I know what I'm doing". Obviously not!!

Now this guy is a big time gambler. It's inevitable that on the first tee he's going to run through everyone in our 4some and make some front/back/total bet and determine how many shots he gets, etc. He's also "Mr. I've got 20/20 vision and even though that golf ball went 40 yards into the woods, I saw it hit a tree and magically kick back to only 5 yards in the woods, but still have a decent look at the green" guy. Another quality that has been openly complained about on numerous occasions, and to be honest he has gotten better at. I've known him forever and have figured out my own little way to get even, which is basically keeping my own card and adding in a few penalty strokes for his hands/knees thing, which normally is the difference in the score since we play about the same most days. While probably not the best answer, it's obvious that openly complaining isn't working, and I'm not going to give a guy money that I just watched drain a few 20' putts after nearly laying down on the green to read it.

So friends of the THP...sans not playing with him anymore(b/c he is a long time friend and golfing buddy), how can I handle this any better or even curb this "lazy camillo" thing he does?

@bradley you figure out how to handle that guy, you tell me because I'm dealing with the same thing. Except my guy is called the "8 foot gimme putt"
His specialty move comes after leaving a long putt 5-10 feet short. He walks up and acts like its a tap in, when he misses he grabs the ball back and takes a "serious" attempt at the shot. Well, he's already seen the break with his crappy tap in attempt.

Good luck Bradley.

I just wouldn't allow it. That is ridiculous. I had someone do that to me once, I just told him that he was damaging the greens, and he has not done it since. If that is not a good enough reason, then flat out tell him that every time he does it you are going to assess a penalty stroke to his score. If that doesn't work, then friend or not, I would not play with him again. It is just flat out disrespectful.

We have our issues with him and gimme's as well. When money is on the line he's the guy that will do anything to win; including the woods thing I mentioned with can better be summed up as never losing a ball even if he sprays it. Actually playing with him and our buddy that's a scratch golf on the 4th was one of the most fun rounds I've had in a while. I'll talk smack, and get on to him for things he does; but the scratch golfer really cranked it up a notch. All day long it was just constant chatter in his ear about how he does all these things, lol; I didn't really say a word and just laughed the whole time. I haven't played with him since, but who knows maybe next time he'll remember the tongue lashing he got last time and play right.

Yea I'm with you but I'll take it a little further...there is no way in hell I am paying a guy that cheats, friend or not. Play by the rules or move on! You really need to confront him and tell him that it bothers you. If he as good of frind as you say, he will understand. He may get upset but he should still understand.

I just wouldn't allow it. That is ridiculous. I had someone do that to me once, I just told him that he was damaging the greens, and he has not done it since. If that is not a good enough reason, then flat out tell him that every time he does it you are going to assess a penalty stroke to his score. If that doesn't work, then friend or not, I would not play with him again. It is just flat out disrespectful.

@bradley you figure out how to handle that guy, you tell me because I'm dealing with the same thing. Except my guy is called the "8 foot gimme putt"
His specialty move comes after leaving a long putt 5-10 feet short. He walks up and acts like its a tap in, when he misses he grabs the ball back and takes a "serious" attempt at the shot. Well, he's already seen the break with his crappy tap in attempt.

Good luck Bradley.

Snap we have played before?

Simple. Just stop playing the guy for money. Who cares if he cheats if it's not for money.

Good, good? hehehehe

I DPA like no ones business. The art is making it look like you don't want to step in someones line

Is the Spiderman illegal or it is just the lazy spidey illegal. Not that I do this but just curious

When on the green putting, he doesn't just stand or squat to read the putt, he actually gets down on his hands and knees. I'm not talking Camillo spiderman here either, thus the "lazy camillo" name. We've all brought up that it's cheating and/or he's making indentations with his knees, which obviously mess up the green; to which his response is normally "dude it hasn't rained here in days, the ground is too hard to dent like that" and when refer to the sprinkler systems that all courses have, he responds with "it's alright I'm a landscaper, I know what I'm doing". Obviously not!!

. . . I'm not going to give a guy money that I just watched drain a few 20' putts after nearly laying down on the green to read it.
Is the Spiderman illegal or it is just the lazy spidey illegal. Not that I do this but just curious

I don't think kneeling on the green is illegal at all. I don't find a rule against it. I doubt that it is illegal to lay all the way down on the green to read the break either. Probably not the best thing to do, but I don't think there is a rule against it. Unless he is testing the grain by doing it.

I really don't think it is illegal to kneel down on the green. I have seen a couple of players on tour (not sure which player/tour) do it so it can't be illegal. I can see where it would be annoying though.

Only after 3 putts

We have our issues with him and gimme's as well. When money is on the line he's the guy that will do anything to win; including the woods thing I mentioned with can better be summed up as never losing a ball even if he sprays it. Actually playing with him and our buddy that's a scratch golf on the 4th was one of the most fun rounds I've had in a while. I'll talk smack, and get on to him for things he does; but the scratch golfer really cranked it up a notch. All day long it was just constant chatter in his ear about how he does all these things, lol; I didn't really say a word and just laughed the whole time. I haven't played with him since, but who knows maybe next time he'll remember the tongue lashing he got last time and play right.

I would either just stop playing with him, or at least tell him straight up that you WILL NOT play him for money. When he asks why, tell him. Sooner or later he will change or be playing alone.

I don't think kneeling on the green is illegal at all. I don't find a rule against it. I doubt that it is illegal to lay all the way down on the green to read the break either. Probably not the best thing to do, but I don't think there is a rule against it. Unless he is testing the grain by doing it.

I really don't think it is illegal to kneel down on the green. I have seen a couple of players on tour (not sure which player/tour) do it so it can't be illegal. I can see where it would be annoying though.

It seems that you are both correct. At least through my findings and a few calls, there is no rule for kneeling as long as there is nothing under your knee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmmmm. That is a new type of annoying person. I have known they existed, but I have never had to play with one. Maybe you can teach him to read a green without laying down and rolling around in it like hog in his own crap.

We have a guy in our group of about 12 guys who has started to cheat. He is always moving his ball. He is a 5 to 7 handicap. Very good short iron and putter but his length is diminishing. I don't know why he does it. It is to the point where I don't want him in the group. If he is on another team I don't want to pay him and I don't want him on my team because it isn't fair to the other groups. None of us want to police him during the round. Most of us walk but he always rides-alone most of the time. Maybe every group has one. I don't know.

I truly thought there was some form of rule that said the something in the form of the only thing that can be on the green are your shoes and hands. Guess I was wrong, learn something new every day. Seeing him do it is still just wrong to me. I'd say I was taught the game a different way than him and taught to respect the course and not leave knee impressions on every green, but his dad gives him as much crap about it that any of us. Appreciate the rule clarification guys.

Here's what you do, next time you play with him, get with the other guys in your group and make a deal to help each other read each other's putts. Having 3 guys reading one guy's putt, him excluded, should drive him crazy.

Here's what you do, next time you play with him, get with the other guys in your group and make a deal to help each other read each other's putts. Having 3 guys reading one guy's putt, him excluded, should drive him crazy.

Best suggestion yet! I like it!

Well i think he's within the rules while reading putts like that and if he drains 20 footers well good for him. Those aren't easy anyway you have to read it.

However the tree shots OOB- why don't you follow him to the trees and have him identify his ball. If it's OOB (white stake) he's not allowed to play from there anyways.

Penalize him and have him play the shot over.

I would just be straight with him. I would tell him I wasn't playing with him anymore if he was going to cheat.

I'd decline the money game first. I can't imagine padding my card to make up for another guys foot wedges etc... It would be funny if three guys all had bets but he was excluded.:laughing: As far as the lazy Camillo I would just let that go, especially if he can read and make a putt better that way. I can't imagine it hurts the green anymore than me standing waiting to putt.

Back