Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Wow, that's awesome stuff. I'm with you - I've been blown away by his level of customer service.

That is impressive stuff Teeth. Mr. Boccieri is a great dude who will do anything to prove his company can compete, and it can.

The last few rounds I have played have been majorly disappointing. I have been fighting a hook, with all clubs, not just the driver. Its been majorly frustrating but I am battling through it. I will definitely update this thread when I get through my major swing issue.

I'm hopeful that the weather cooperates today and I'm able to play some golf.

Just got caught up and enjoyed the reading. Very cool of Mr B to call you like that, Dr Teeth!

Wow, so when we were told at the very beginning we would get to speak with the club maker, I didn't expect that he would be checking in on the testers. That is very cool of Mr. Boccieri.

As for me, I'm still deep in the middle of a driver swing change. The lesson has served me well, but it is a lot to take in. At the range yesterday, I hit a few good shots with the HD. Those good ones let me know that this is a great driver, and will continue to exceed any other driver I have, once the swing change is complete. At this point, the swing change is about 30% sweet shots, 20% not sure what it was but ok shots, and 50% push/sliced way to the right.

But anyways, I will also say this. With the swing change, I'm able to launch the ball higher. There is going to be a lot of range time this week since I have a tournament on Saturday, so I will keep everyone posted on my progress with the HD and the new swing.

Even though the heat is still on here, I went out to the course and played 18 hitting both the Heavy Driver and my K15 off of each tee as the course was empty. I normally walk but took a cart this time so I would have the time to hit two off the tee. I played the better of the two drives on each hole. The course is super firm and super fast right now so there is a lot of rollout.

The course is set up where being able to work the ball in both directions is a must. There are just too many places you do not want to be, and with the added roll right now, a straight shot will get you into trouble on many holes.

The yellow line is the Heavy and the green is the K15. White line on some holes is OB.

No.1 Par 4 - 291 yards. Set up to try and hit both shots straight. With the Heavy, I hit a high fade that ened up in the first cut. The K15 went pretty much dead straight with maybe a little draw at the end.
Heavy - 30 yards left = 261 yards.
K15 - 22 yards left = 269 yards.

No1a.jpg

No.2 Par 3.

No.3 Par 4 - 330 yards. Set up to hit a draw with both drivers. The Heavy was a high fade that ended up in the rough right. The K15 came off perfect with a nice draw flight that took one high bounce and ran off the fairway a little left.
Heavy - 104 yards left = 199 yards.
K15 - 44 yards left = 259 yards.

No3a.jpg

No.4 par 5 - 510 yards. This hole has a lot going on. OB all the way down the right side from tee to green. A creek crosses the fairway at 205/210 yds with a large Cotton Wood tree and bridge left at the creek.

I set up both shots to draw the ball left clearing both the creek and the tree. Right away the Heavy sliced hard right on me and although it stayed in bounds, it was in the tall grass and bushes. The K15 again came off the face great with a nice draw that just carried the creek but bounced high to finish in the rough just off the fairway.
Heavy - 285 yards left = 225 yards.
K15 - 256 left = 254 yards.

No4a.jpg

No.5 Par 4 - 440 yards. This hole also has a lot going on at the tee. The tee is elevated high above a valley with a creek lined to the right by tall Oak trees. The fairway is flat but uphill to the green in a valley with the rough sloping down to the fairway. A high fade is a must here. With Heavy, I weakend my grip a little too much and left the face open resulting in another slice. The ball ran thru the fairway into the thick rough. The K15 was a little better catching the left side and rolling down to the fairway.
Heavy - 218 left = 222 yards.
K15 - 183 left = 257 yards.

No5a.jpg

No.6 Par 4 - 243 yards. This is the easiest Par 4 on the course. OB down the left side and the green slopes away towards the tree line behind the green which is in play. Setting up to hit both drivers straight, I once again cut the ball slightly with the Heavy, but ended up in a good spot just short of the green right. With the K15, the ball drew slightly at the end and took one high bounce and ended up just off the green left.
Heavy - 11 left = 232 yards.
K15 - 255 yards.

No6a.jpg

No.7 Par 4 - 379 yards. Another hole with a lot happening. The left side of the fairway is no good (or anything left) as there are trees at the creek and the ended of the fairway which are super tall making the green nearly impossible to hit from that side. A bad slice is also no good as you again are blocked by tall trees at the creek. Center or the right half of the fairway is a must.
I once again over miss hit the Heavy resulting in yet another slice, this time putting me in jail. While I hit the K15 dead straight, I almost hit it too far with the added roll. With the firm conditions, this is now a 3 wood tee shot.
Heavy - 141 left = 238 yards.
K15 - 111 left = 268 yards.

No7a.jpg

No.8 Par 3

No.9 Par 5 - 510 yards. Lots of room on this hole with only a few trees to tend with. The creek is at the 310 yd mark, so it is hard to reach for me. I really tried hard here to hit a draw with both drivers for distance and hit the Heavy dead straight just in the first cut. The K15 came off nice with a slight draw tail at the end. This may have been my longest drive of the year, but it is firm and down hill.
Heavy - 238 left = 272 yards.
K15 - 209 left = 301 yards.

No9a.jpg

The K15 clearly won out on this nine. As I reported before, if I put the same swing on both drivers, the results are very different. Also have to keep in mind the the K15 is a draw weighted head which no doubt makes it easier for me to draw as well as hit stright. The head designs are very different for sure.

Next up, the back nine.

I wasnt able to play a full round this weekend, but I did squeeze in 90 mins at the range. I am working on keeping my hands lower and getting more shoulder turn in the backswing. This was the first time I really felt in sync with the HD and my big shoulder turn. Previously, my swing was pretty vertical so I was flipping my hands at contact to keep from blocking it right. I found the HD to be very inconsistent for 'handy' swings. But with my lower hands and a bigger shoulder turn, I was able to find alot more consistantcy with the HD. Not only was the ball flight more consistent (draw to lower draw), but I had much fewer hits off the low heel (previous HD miss). I found the extra weight also helped with my new transition. This increased consistancy has me being the most positive and happy with the HD than I have so far. I hope to get to the range again this week and am playing with my Dad Friday afternoon.

The headcover has long been replaced, but I'm more excited than ever about how the HD is helping my consistency. Hopefully, that confidence can transfer from the range to the course.

The back nine. The yellow line is the Heavy and the green is the K15. White line on some holes is OB.

No.10 Par 5 - 491 yards. A straight shot is OK here but a draw should add distance. With the Heavy I could not square the face once again resulting in a slice. Although this one stayed on the edge of the fairway, the distance was clearly hurt by the bad swing. Again, I was able to hit a perfect draw with the K15 which kicked high and left on the first bounce getting me over a slight hump in the fairway and the ball seemed to run forever.
Heavy - 214 left = 277 yards.
K15 - 174 left = 317 yards.

No10a.jpg

No.11 Par 4 - 400 yards. This hole is a dogleg left with OB all down the left side. A pull of any knid is no good here. There is plaenty of room right but the deep Heather is in reach with enough rollout. This time the Heavy was dead straight making it just past the dogleg but staying on the right edge of the fairway. The K15 was just as straight but took a bounce that had to be 30 feet high really taking it forward. The distance was great but I was stymied by a mound between the ball and green a bit, so I played the Heavy shot.
Heavy - 129 left = 271 yards.
K15 - 77 left = 323 yards.

No11a.jpg

No.12 Par 3

No.13 Par 4 - 438 yards. This hole was dead into the wind today (about 15/20 mph). Anything right is OK as the green slopes left to right but with the Heavy, I really hit a nice fade that just stayed up and wind pushed it a little right, but again with the firm conditions, it took a huge bounce and ended up buried in the tall Heather on the mound right. I started the K15 a little more left trying to keep it fairly straight, but again I left the face a little open but had a little lower ball flight, running just off the fairway in the first cut.
Heavy - 138 left = 300 yards.
K15 - 148 left = 290 yards.

No13a.jpg

No.14 Par 5 - 481 yards. Lots of trouble here with both mounds of tall Heather and water. A slice is a killer here. Had it down wind, so I just took it easy with bith clubs and hit 2 nice shots, both pretty straight.
Heavy - 191 left = 290 yards.
K15 - 180 left = 301 yards.

No14a.jpg

No.15 Par 4 - 360 yards. Again a shot into the wind. This green slopes right to left so anything down the left side is good. I tried to put my best draw swing on the Heavy and it started on a good line, but the face must have been open a little and wind took it right on another Heather covered mound. This one I could not find. With the K15, I was able to hit a perfect draw that nearly caugh the mound left but made a nice forward kick. Not sure how, with this shot being into the wind, but it ended up being one of my longest drives of the season. Huge bounces and lots of roll is the big reason I think.
Heavy - The center of the mound is 90 yards out. 270 yards.
K15 - 29 left = 331 yards. (Un-real!)

No15a.jpg

No.16 Par 3

No.17 Par 4 - 318 yards. On this hole there is OB left and the Heather covered mound left comes into play, so anything right is great as the green slopes left to right. Not fearing trouble here, I aimed up the middle and just cut loose with the Heavy hitting a super high fade that bounced nice and ran forever. With the K15, I tried to hit a fade as well, but hit it really high with just one good bounce once it hit the fairway.
Heavy - 51 left = 267 yards.
K15 - 105 left = 213 yards.

No17a.jpg

No.18 Par 4 - 287 yards. With OB all down the left side, a hook is jail. With the K15 up first, I did just that, double crossing and hooking it OB into the 3rd fairway. With right OK, I gave the Heavy another good rip which looked really good in flight but it kicked straight right on the first kick.
Heavy - 12 yards left = 275 yards.
K15 OB

No18a.jpg

The super firm conditions is adding a bunch of distance right now to everyones tee shots. It is just part of playing golf in the summer on a rural Indiana links course. For us, it is golf being played the way it was meant to be played.

For the most part the K15 won this round I think. As I have said before, the K15 does have some draw bias weighting with a soft regular shaft, so it flights the ball a little differently. The Heavy is no doubt designed for someone with a great swing. It just takes a little more work for me to hit it on the screws each and everytime. The range work while fun, does not show the truth I don't think, as it is easy to stand on the range and groove the same shot over and over.

I don't view this as setback in any way with the Heavy. It just clearly shows that I must work harder to get the same results. This work will continue.

These are great posts - some of the best I have seen. I assume these are google earth photos with some photoshop lines drawn in?

Keep up the good work.

And where are you playing with all of this roll? In FL I am luck to get 10 yards!

These are great posts - some of the best I have seen. I assume these are google earth photos with some photoshop lines drawn in?

Keep up the good work.

And where are you playing with all of this roll? In FL I am luck to get 10 yards!

Yep, Google earth. The pics are available through our handicap input page in Indiana. I live and play in Indiana. Where I live, we have had 1 inch of rain in the last eight weeks and we just got that last Friday. Greens are watered daily (a little), the fairways just enough to keep them alive and the rough never (no sprinklers) which is the way links golf is meant to be played. I played with a guy yesterday evening that averages around 260/270 with driver and he had one drive at 366. Unreal, but we have this condition every summer.

Yep, Google earth. The pics are available through our handicap input page in Indiana. I live and play in Indiana. Where I live, we have had 1 inch of rain in the last eight weeks and we just got that last Friday. Greens are watered daily (a little), the fairways just enough to keep them alive and the rough never (no sprinklers) which is the way links golf is meant to be played. I played with a guy yesterday evening that averages around 260/270 with driver and he had one drive at 366. Unreal, but we have this condition every summer.

Thanks for the insight. That sounds like lots of fun. I've played links courses in both Ireland and Scotland, and I love playing the hard and fast fairways. I probably won't make it back to Ireland/Scotland anytime soon - but maybe I'll hit up Indiana in the near future to get my Links golf in!

that's a cool feature there Hoosier

Really informative updates there hg, impressive stuff!

Alrighty, had a thunderstorm last night but I get to play tonight! Looking forward to slamming the HD down some fairways. Maybe Ill shoot a vid or three tonight.

So I went out to the local course, just hit some balls down one of the wider fairways. Of course, I'm on a completely rebuilt swing. It's still a work in progress, but I couldn't get the ball off the ground with the HD. I know my instructor said that I don't rolls my hands and flip the wrists very well at the bottom of the swing, so I'm pretty sure that's why I'm hitting grounders. Yesterday I made great progress with my other driver though, which of course, is a lighter driver. I'll be out at the range tonight, and I plan to continue trying the HD out with the new swing. If I feel comfortable enough with the new swing, I'll probably make a few tweaks to help with the HD.

So I went out to the local course, just hit some balls down one of the wider fairways. Of course, I'm on a completely rebuilt swing. It's still a work in progress, but I couldn't get the ball off the ground with the HD. I know my instructor said that I don't rolls my hands and flip the wrists very well at the bottom of the swing, so I'm pretty sure that's why I'm hitting grounders. Yesterday I made great progress with my other driver though, which of course, is a lighter driver. I'll be out at the range tonight, and I plan to continue trying the HD out with the new swing. If I feel comfortable enough with the new swing, I'll probably make a few tweaks to help with the HD.

Boccierri did tell me on the phone that lighter drivers would make it easier for your hands to make last minute corrections during the swing. But that was a band aid for the bigger problems.

Hang in their McRock. Rebuilding a swing is probably the most frustrating becuse you immediatly get worse then what your old swing was giving you.

Hang in there. Swing changes are tough to make. It is always a little like surgery in that it hurts at the beginning, but worth the pain in the long run. I like the idea also of keeping your teacher involved. I know it has always gone better for me to have a qualified set of eyes to tell me what I need to work on.

I was able to get back to the range on Wednesday with the Heavy driver and my teacher. My only issues in the swing which was causing the over cut or slices was once again just too weak of a grip. I can get by with a weaker grip with the closed face on my K15, but not with the Heavy. While the face is a bit closed on the 12 degree, it is less than what I'm use to.

Once my teacher had me back with a stronger grip once again, everything was a nice high flight with a tail of a draw. I used the Heavy driver yesterday evening in my mens league and hit 6 of 7 fairways.

Awesome Hoosier!!! I had some really great success at the range the other day. I was hitting the Heavy Driver very long and straight. I am starting to groove with my new set up and take away and it is paying off in my ball flight. I don't know when I will get to play next, but I am hoping to get to the range today or tomorrow and work on some suggestions Mr. Boccieri had for my swing. After I sent him my launch monitor data, he asked to see a video of my swing. Here are the videos I sent him. He told me that he didn't mind me being a bit flat, but that I needed to bring my club head back straighter on the take away. He said to envision putting the clubhead into a catchers glove if he was squating behind me. I thought that was great advise. I am so impressed with Mr. Boccieri, the fact that he sent me advice on my swing is just another example of how awesome he and his company are!!!

These first two had very good results.

This one not so much! Snap hook!

I just got back from vacation and haven't played the last two weeks. I'm heading out tomorrow and will post the results. The reviews look great so far.

This one not so much! Snap hook!

Funny..... I don't remember being in Oregon any time recently....... :D

Quick update for me. The HD already replaced my older driver (Burner Superfast 1.0) but the burner sat in my closet for the past 3 weeks while I searched for a buyer. Funny how the day I sold it to a friend was also the WORST driving day i've had with the HD. Nothing new really, I have a strong grip and a flat swing. This results in some nasty hooks with my irons, but with the driver it results in a huge push right. I mean 45* to the right. Anyways, I'm blaming the Indian and not the arrow. Heading out the range after work today to get back on plane. As THP member (and big Samuel Jackson fan) The Pete says "I"m sick and tired of all these muthaf***ing swings, not on my muthaf***ing plane!"

Funny..... I don't remember being in Oregon any time recently....... :D

Quick update for me. The HD already replaced my older driver (Burner Superfast 1.0) but the burner sat in my closet for the past 3 weeks while I searched for a buyer. Funny how the day I sold it to a friend was also the WORST driving day i've had with the HD. Nothing new really, I have a strong grip and a flat swing. This results in some nasty hooks with my irons, but with the driver it results in a huge push right. I mean 45* to the right. Anyways, I'm blaming the Indian and not the arrow. Heading out the range after work today to get back on plane. As THP member (and big Samuel Jackson fan) The Pete says "I"m sick and tired of all these muthaf***ing swings, not on my muthaf***ing plane!"

Now at least I know who to blame for that swing!

DT, The video's are great. I have a video cam sitting somewhere that never gets used. Might have to fire it up and make a video or two. It is great that Mr. Boccieri is so willing to help each one of us.

I'm finding that this driver requires a good swing each and every time to have good results. Once I figured it out a bit, it has been super. I'm just off and on from day to day, but there is no doubt that when you nut one, the results are great. My club championship is next weekend and I want to use the Heavy for sure. I'm still off a little in the consistency department, but that is not a club issue.

Well I just had a killer range session today, that just helped me hit everything better.

Once again, I worked myself into a mode of flatout swinging too hard and I was trying to force every swing I took. This club(with a semi fixed swing) has returned to a flatout performer. I love everything about it and when my swing on, I wouldnt want anything else in my hands.

I was able to play a round this past weekend and had very sporadic results with my HD. I am currently trying to add more knee flex in my swing and keep my hands lower at the top. Using these "fixes" allow me to be less "handsy" at contact where previously I was flipping my wrists early and battled the hooks. The HD was very inconsistent with this swing, bad enough that my buddies continue to ask why I would keep playing it.

Anyways... My last round had 9 above average / good tee balls and 4 below avg / poor drives all with the HD. I had one of those great drives where everything clicked and I mashed in 286 right down the pipe. Of course, I had a few other swings (where I would revert to my old swing) and get too quick and flip it left. Now I know how the great ones feel with the HD, I can see how the back weighting can really help add distance. With more time with my new swing and more time with the HD, I hope to lose the hooks and gain more down the center. I totally agree this club is not for handsy players. If I had not had a lesson at GolfTec, I would probably still be missing with this driver everytime.

Back