Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Dr Teeth - Any thoughts how the Shotmaker would work with the Heavy Driver?

This would be an amazing combo in my opinion, but Thainer is right. There is no way that you could get the Shotmaker down the shaft with the backweighting system that the Heavy Driver uses.

Thanks for sharing Hopkins! I play the irons and love them!

Have you done a review of these irons? I have a set from the 80s that I hit at the golf dome here in Indy since all they have are rocks (I dont want to ruin my r9 TP). I really love the feel of weight in the club that the 80s clubs have as I know where the head is throughout the swing which is nice. Just wonder would love to read a review of them.

Has anyone else played the HD in cold weather? I was able to get out for 18 yesterday with my father in law in Indianapolis (Eagle Creek Golf Club - Sycamore Course. The weather was low-mid 50s with a 20mph wind or so. Anyways, I played my SuperTri on the front and my HD on the back. I noticed the HD felt normal on well struck shots, but the shots off the toe REALLY jolted the hands (I had 2 of these).

I brought the HD because I knew I would need the lower ball flight on the back 9 as most of the holes are into the wind. It took me 2 swings to really slow my swing down to optimize my results, but hit 2 really nice low rockets once I found the center of the face. I shot 40-43, but really needed to work to shoot the 43 on the back.

Has anyone else played the HD in cold weather? I was able to get out for 18 yesterday with my father in law in Indianapolis (Eagle Creek Golf Club - Sycamore Course. The weather was low-mid 50s with a 20mph wind or so. Anyways, I played my SuperTri on the front and my HD on the back. I noticed the HD felt normal on well struck shots, but the shots off the toe REALLY jolted the hands (I had 2 of these).

I brought the HD because I knew I would need the lower ball flight on the back 9 as most of the holes are into the wind. It took me 2 swings to really slow my swing down to optimize my results, but hit 2 really nice low rockets once I found the center of the face. I shot 40-43, but really needed to work to shoot the 43 on the back.

I hit it on the range a couple weeks back and it was about 45° at the time. I thought it felt normal, but I don't recall hitting any out on the toe.

It hasn't been that cold here lately, so I haven't had the chance to see how this performs in the cold.

Okay, I've been following this thread since the beginning, and now that we're a full four months into the testing process, I'm curious: have any of you chosen ones reached a decision on whether the driver is in or out of the bag for keeps? Has anyone moved beyond the test phase one way or the other? And what was the basis for your conclusion?

Thanks!

For me, it just can't compare to my superdeep based on adjustability with the shafts and face angles. My swing varies from month to month, week to week and even day to day. Also being able to swap shafts around is necessary for me.

I think Thainer hit the nail on the head for me as well! As I said in my write up, the only glaring weakness of the Heavy Driver is the shaft. I have a couple of shafts for my R11 that fit me very well, that coupled with the adjustability of the R11 has made it my gamer. I LOVE the Heavy Driver though!!!

Okay, I've been following this thread since the beginning, and now that we're a full four months into the testing process, I'm curious: have any of you chosen ones reached a decision on whether the driver is in or out of the bag for keeps? Has anyone moved beyond the test phase one way or the other? And what was the basis for your conclusion?

Thanks!

The Heavy Driver just has not been consistent enough to kick my TaylorMade SuperTri out of my bag. I can't justify the fact of having to use a slower controlled swing just to get the driver to work for me. This is especially difficult to do as the tension rises during a round or match. There are times where I want to go after a drive, and I just can't do that with the HD. I do love the look at address and the sound at impact is my favorite of all drivers I've ever hit, but thats just not enough. I am a mid to high handicapper (14ish) and I just lose too much distance when the ball misses the center or high center of the face (which happens often for me).

I agree with Thainer and Dr Teeth. The lack of adjustability is also a big factor that keeps it out of my bag. Not the hosel settings as much as the ability to alter the shafts and weights to tweak my game. I had 4 different shafts this year for my SuperTri, and the ability to swap shafts easily at the range was incredible.

The Heavy Driver just has not been consistent enough to kick my TaylorMade SuperTri out of my bag. I can't justify the fact of having to use a slower controlled swing just to get the driver to work for me. This is especially difficult to do as the tension rises during a round or match. There are times where I want to go after a drive, and I just can't do that with the HD. I do love the look at address and the sound at impact is my favorite of all drivers I've ever hit, but thats just not enough. I am a mid to high handicapper (14ish) and I just lose too much distance when the ball misses the center or high center of the face (which happens often for me).

I agree with Thainer and Dr Teeth. The lack of adjustability is also a big factor that keeps it out of my bag. Not the hosel settings as much as the ability to alter the shafts and weights to tweak my game. I had 4 different shafts this year for my SuperTri, and the ability to swap shafts easily at the range was incredible.

I never thought I wanted a adjustable driver, but I did once own a FT-9 i-mix and I miss being able to change shafts in seconds. I think now everyone will want this and it is becoming the standard.

It was great fun testing this driver. My season is now all but over here. Good work!

Degoins, Snap Hook, SF Coach -
What are your thoughts on the Heavy Driver as the season winds down for many? We haven't seen any updates from you guys in a while so I wondered where you settled over the last few months of testing the HD. Why did it or won't it replace your current driver in the bag for next year? If there's one thing that you could change on it, what would it be (besides the head cover we mostly all complained about)?

I put the HD in play today and I absolutely do not regret it. I am hammering it and shooting my best round in the sim yet.

Back