Overrated Equipment

Did JB's OP say this? I was confused, because it was mentioned in one of the early posts, but is not there now.
Mizuno irons.

But is there stuff that has generated buzz and come out and in your opinion just didnt do it for you?

Sure. All kinds of stuff. I guess my thought is that 'overrated' is pretty subjective and changes person to person.Over time I realized the TM CB's were a horrible iron for my game and the build-up was huge. Still, there are others that would disagree wholeheartedly.

I could make a very big list of overhyped :)

Did JB's OP say this? I was confused, because it was mentioned in one of the early posts, but is not there now.

It used to. It was changed because this thread is 3 years old and if you read my review that came out on a set shortly there after, there was a write up about how I had waited for years to be able to finally "click" with Mizuno irons and understand the raving about them. Then it happened.

Ping G15s.
Scotty Camerons

Im going to go ahead and say it.

The R11.

Unforgiving, not long for slower swing speed hitters, and the added technology I really dont see a benefit. It is white, and white works. But JB and I have had a few conversations, with many others, and we both agreed that if this driver wasnt white, it would be the biggest flop.

I have to agree with you on that one, thainer. I have hit it several times and just don't see what the big deal is when you compare it to several others.It's by no means a bad club but the hipe surrounding it is way overblown. It just didnt clearly stand above other drivers. But, if I just paid $400 for a driver I guess I would have to brag about it being the best driver in the history of the game too, whether it is or not.

It used to. It was changed because this thread is 3 years old and if you read my review that came out on a set shortly there after, there was a write up about how I had waited for years to be able to finally "click" with Mizuno irons and understand the raving about them. Then it happened.

Yeah, I understand, and that is what I figured had happened, opinions change all the time.

Hang on their buddy. I agree with a lot of what you said. However I dont agree that if it wasnt white it would be a flop. Would they have sold as many? Maybe not, but I still think it would have been a huge release, just as the R9 was.

I do agree about the fact that it is a tough driver for a lot of golfers in my opinion based on what we have seen anyway.

Yeah, my bad. What He said ^.

I would have to say Callaway. Not saying their equipment is bad but as far as game improvement, a lot of other companies have caught up.

Im going to go ahead and say it.

The R11.

Unforgiving, not long for slower swing speed hitters, and the added technology I really dont see a benefit. It is white, and white works. But JB and I have had a few conversations, with many others, and we both agreed that if this driver wasnt white, it may not have sold near as much.

I agree with you 100%. I dont really think the adjustments on the R11 are all that. I mean its pretty much the same thing for a few years now. AST? Useless IMO.

Vokey wedges

My list of overrated clubs - not brands:

Driver - R11 (compared only to the R9 - I noticed little difference other than paint)
Fairway woods - Titleist - unforgiving IMO
Hybrids - Cleveland Mashie - yep, I said it, I'm ready for the blasting I will receive. It's a good club but around here it seems to have been put on a pedestal when there are many other hybrids out there that I feel are very close, if not better (TM, Adams, Nickent)
Irons - Nike, have hit about 6 models and haven't been too impressed
Wedges - Vokey - don't do much for me. I rank them behind Cleveland, Mizuno, Callaway & TM
Putters - Scotty Cameron - It's not that it isn't a good club, it's just overrated and their prices are proof.

Driver - R11 (compared only to the R9 - I noticed little difference other than paint)
Hybrids - Cleveland Mashie - yep, I said it, I'm ready for the blasting I will receive. It's a good club but around here it seems to have been put on a pedestal when there are many other hybrids out there that I feel are very close, if not better (TM, Adams, Nickent)
Wedges - Vokey - don't do much for me. I rank them behind Cleveland, Mizuno, Callaway & TM
Putters - Scotty Cameron - It's not that it isn't a good club, it's just overrated and their prices are proof.

Blasting you receive? Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I will say that the R11 is different than the R9. Heck the technology of movement is completely different (whether one likes that or not is irrelevant really). I dont like the R11, but I would not say its an R9 painted.
Mashie, again you are entitled to your opinion as no club works for everybody. However when you compare hybrids with that type of shaft quality in with others at the same price point, is the reason many have their thoughts on it. It still has to fit a golfer though, and no club fits everybody.

Beginning to agree on the Vokey wedge, thought it was great until I got my Cleveland CG16 and that is just a much nicer club. Weight, feel are all much better

Love my Mashie.....although I also love my MD Seve Icon hybrid, the driver not so much

Beginning to agree on the Vokey wedge, thought it was great until I got my Cleveland CG16 and that is just a much nicer club. Weight, feel are all much better

Love my Mashie.....although I also love my MD Seve Icon hybrid, the driver not so much

Another great hybrid there. Tested one out the other day and while I did not like the shaft too much, when I put the Miyazaki C. Kua shaft in it, I thought it was an excellent option.

Ping equipment, is a wide sole really that technologically advanced?! Now when the g20 line comes out I will give them a clean slate

Another great hybrid there. Tested one out the other day and while I did not like the shaft too much, when I put the Miyazaki C. Kua shaft in it, I thought it was an excellent option.

Until coming to this site I had never even thought about changing shafts on clubs and have noticed that British golf shops are a long way behind American ones when it comes to help and fitting for shafts. Have found one just round the corner from where I live that does though.

Ping equipment, is a wide sole really that technologically advanced?! Now when the g20 line comes out I will give them a clean slate

See the G20 post I did on their launch....still the wide sole but I like their clubs, just don't think the G20 irons are different enough from G15 to warrant a change

I agree with everything except the hybrid. The only hybrids I have gamed are the Mashie M2 and the Adam's V3 3H. For me, the Mashie won hands down because of two things: 1) The shaft in the Mashie was far superior for my swing 2) The weight of the Mashie club head helped me with consistancy.
But both clubs are really good.
Also, I have hit the Nike Pro Cavity irons quite a bit before choosing my irons. They are really good clubs but were 3rd behind the Calloway Razr's and my Adam's Redlines. Totaly subjective though.

Callaway, good sticks for someone but I think they're over priced for what they actually do, and as someone said earlier other companies have actually caught up
with them if not passed them by a bit

Um a couple for me and Ill list them like Gopher.

Driver: R11 (Burner is way better in terms of adding speed to swing. The R11 just doesnt work for me. I was only hitting 5 yards longer then my Cobra S2. Granted, I didnt tune it, but with the hype I expected results.)

Fairway Wood/Hybrid: RaZr Hawk (Driver is impressive but the 3 and 5 wood arent. The Forged composite doesnt work on a wood. It's incredibly difficult to hit the shot you want. Hated the club.)

Irons: Titlesit MB (Maybe its the fact its thin, but I just couldnt strike the ball with them. I hated it after about 10 swings.)

Wedge: All Ping (They just dont compare to the competition. They arent bad but they arent good.)

Putter: Nike Method (New face does squat. You have 0 feel. Just a bad putter.)

For me it is Taylormade, the hype has never married up with consistent, long-term results. I've always been a long-term fan of Callaway but with the recent upro mx fiasco I've turned my back on their product. The most consistent results for my game always seem to come from Ping products, except for the driver - yet to find a Ping driver I love.

I almost feel like this thread needs to be broken down into different categories. Game improvement; Super Game improvement; mid- to high handicappers, or low to mid- handicappers or something like that. I feel that certain companies do a good job in certain areas, where as others don't offer as much as they might think they do for certain lines or types of players.

I almost feel like this thread needs to be broken down into different categories. Game improvement; Super Game improvement; mid- to high handicappers, or low to mid- handicappers or something like that. I feel that certain companies do a good job in certain areas, where as others don't offer as much as they might think they do for certain lines or types of players.

Agree 100%

or in a thread I did a little while ago about people having a certain totally irrational dislike of certain companies and in a lot cases without having even tried their products.

As a reminder mine were Srixon (the name bugs me) and Adams (reminds me of crap clothes company in the UK and I hate the logo)

Ping seems to have the 10.4 handicap market cornered.

Back