Future of Product Testing on THP

Toddo - you said something that really stuck with me. "When I received the Polara ball, I took them out one time and knew they weren't for me, so I sent them on to another THP'r and I even wrote an evaluation stating why I didn't like them."

Reviews are not intended to replace what is currently in your bag. If it works out that they do, great - but, if not, we are still expected to conduct long term testing of said product. Taking a ball out once and saying "it is not for me, I am done with it" goes against the purpose of getting selected and offering feedback - good or bad.

MY OPINION HERE: your treatment of the Polara testing could have had a negative impact on you possibly getting chosen to test irons.

Kind of agree with your post cook.

Just my opinion, it seems like there are certain members who seem to get to test more things than others. I have signed up for several tests, I was chosen to do the Bridgestone Yellow B330's but when I lost them all, there was no need for me to continue offering opinions. When I received the Polara ball, I took them out one time and knew they weren't for me, so I sent them on to another THP'r and I even wrote an evaluation stating why I didn't like them.

However, I feel those of us in the left handed persuasion are not treated fairly when it comes to testing clubs. I realize some manufacturers don't make things in lefty, believe me, I have been a minority for years. And I am not here just trying to get free stuff, I have played golf for over 40 years and like to try new things when they are available for lefties.

I just feel some members get to test more than others and that is why I put my comment in the blind ball test recently that I was taking a sabbatical. I am still disappointed I did not get to test the Burner 2.0's because I feel I would have put the clubs through their paces and would have been honest and thorough with my evaluation.

I will continue to read some of the stuff on here, but as far offering opinions and such, I probably won't do a whole lot anymore. This is a great site and I am not knocking it at all, like many of you I have learned a lot of things since being on here and will continue to do so and look forward to reading about equipment and other aspects of this great game.

Hope everyone continues to have a wonderful golfing season!

Activity on the forum is what makes people get chosen. Whether that means people get chosen more than once for equipment should mean to some that becoming more active might lead to that. Since joining THP 6 or so months ago, you have been chosen to test two things. In my opinion that is not too shabby.

I am very sorry you feel as though you deserved and should have been selected to test Burner 2.0 irons. However there were hundreds that signed up for that test and 5 sets to go around. I thought the company did a pretty good job of selecting people based on activity level on this site while still picking some new testers.

In fact in the last 6 forum testing opportunities new testers have been selected every single time. Including a few that had ALL new testers. We have been transparent since the very beginning and said activity level will always drive who gets to test. But testing is a privilege, not a right and those that work hard and stay active on THP over time will get to test equipment. Im sorry you feel differently and feel as though that the 2 times you have had a chance to test in the first 6 months, were not enough, some others have been here even longer and have never tested a thing.

I appreciate you sharing your opinion and respect it, but unfortunately I disagree with it in this case.

Toddo - you said something that really stuck with me. "When I received the Polara ball, I took them out one time and knew they weren't for me, so I sent them on to another THP'r and I even wrote an evaluation stating why I didn't like them."

Reviews are not intended to replace what is currently in your bag. If it works out that they do, great - but, if not, we are still expected to conduct long term testing of said product. Taking a ball out once and saying "it is not for me, I am done with it" goes against the purpose of getting selected and offering feedback - good or bad.

MY OPINION HERE: your treatment of the Polara testing could have had a negative impact on you possibly getting chosen to test irons.

I did give them a thorough evaluation and made the determination they did not fit myself or my game. I can usually judge within using something once or twice if it will fit me and if my one time opinion affected me, I can't help it. It was just my opinion.

+1 No one ever said anything about having to like the product you are testing. Not everything is going to work for everyone, but if you sign up for the testing and are selected it is your responsibility to do an unbiased test of the equipment and provide honest feedback to the rest of the member base, regardless of whether or not the feedback is positive or negative.

I did give them a thorough evaluation and made the determination they did not fit myself or my game. I can usually judge within using something once or twice if it will fit me and if my one time opinion affected me, I can't help it. It was just my opinion.

So what would happen if you received a set of irons or a driver and after a round evaluated that it wasn't good for your game?

I'm sure others felt the same way when they weren't chosen yet some have remained active and continue to apply for other testing opportunities. Product testing on THP is a privelege or better yet like a lottery, not a right. Activity, consistent activity at that, is usually recognized and rewardeed. As is past testing experiences. Citing your Polara testing thoughts, put yourself in an OEM's shoes. Would they want to send equipment out to a tester who has 'given up' (not the right term but the right one escapes me) on a simple ball test knowing that the same thing could happen to a driver/wedge/iron set? What's in it for the OEM at that point? That not only reflects poorly on the tester but on THP as well and can jeopardize future testing opportunities for THP.

Also, the OEM's watch/lurk in their testing threads and I'm sure they do in other OEM's threads to see who's saying what and testing what. So what someone may be doing in one thread could potentially carry over into their own thread when the time comes.

Just my opinion, it seems like there are certain members who seem to get to test more things than others. I have signed up for several tests, I was chosen to do the Bridgestone Yellow B330's but when I lost them all, there was no need for me to continue offering opinions. When I received the Polara ball, I took them out one time and knew they weren't for me, so I sent them on to another THP'r and I even wrote an evaluation stating why I didn't like them.

However, I feel those of us in the left handed persuasion are not treated fairly when it comes to testing clubs. I realize some manufacturers don't make things in lefty, believe me, I have been a minority for years. And I am not here just trying to get free stuff, I have played golf for over 40 years and like to try new things when they are available for lefties.

I just feel some members get to test more than others and that is why I put my comment in the blind ball test recently that I was taking a sabbatical. I am still disappointed I did not get to test the Burner 2.0's because I feel I would have put the clubs through their paces and would have been honest and thorough with my evaluation.

I will continue to read some of the stuff on here, but as far offering opinions and such, I probably won't do a whole lot anymore. This is a great site and I am not knocking it at all, like many of you I have learned a lot of things since being on here and will continue to do so and look forward to reading about equipment and other aspects of this great game.

Sorry you couldn't get the good stuff to test, Toddo. You really deserve better!

Sorry you couldn't get the good stuff to test, Toddo. You really deserve better!

It took me a while to test something. My first testing was with the chromax balls, then gloves, then yellow e6's. Honestly, I love testing golf balls because you use them on every shot. Yes I was chosen to test Taylormade Tour Preferred MC irons, that testing started almost 18 months from when I first joined THP.

So what would happen if you received a set of irons or a driver and after a round evaluated that it wasn't good for your game?

I think this is a very valid question here. We are quick to pass on merchandise as testers to others if they do not work when it is things such as golf balls or a training aid, but the thought that "I didnt like them so I passed them along" is not really what testing should be about. It should be about trying things out in detail and writing reviews based on that. Both pro or con. And then repeat. Losing balls in my opinion does not mean the test ends, one can still be in there answering any questions that someone might have based on the experience that you did have while you had them.

Im not coming down on someone's opinion because its clear they feel slighted in some way based on their tenure and testing, but I dont think the same thing would happen if they did not like a set of irons. I dont think they would ship them off.

With that mindset though, what happens if you got selected to test a set of irons? You take them out and determine after a week of range and course time that they are not for you and don't "fit your game". Then an OEM just sent out a set of irons to you that they are not going to get the feedback they expected to.

The certain members that are getting selected again over time have proven through opportunity to provide the feedback that the OEM wants to see (good or bad).

ETA: the 5 minutes it took me to word that correctly and DDEC asked the same question so disregard mine. :D

I may be a lefty. And I may sound like a broken record about it. But I have no problem with it at all. I love seeing new people chosen for testing but that is not what this site is all about. Lucky for me I was chosen to be part of the Vision golf ball testing and I have enjoyed every second of it hence why I got in contact with Wayne and will be receiving more balls from them for more testing. I want to get better at my reviews and my thoughts for others but I am not here for free stuff I want to get better at this game. And reading tips and getting help from this site I have seen my scores improve this summer and I have THP to thank for that.

Im not coming down on someone's opinion because its clear they feel slighted in some way based on their tenure and testing, but I dont think the same thing would happen if they did not like a set of irons. I dont think they would ship them off.

I don't either. I think that if you are chosen to test something out, whether it be ball, glove, bag, shaft, driver, irons, wedges, etc... you can't just use something for one round and say OK I don't like it or OK it's not for me. That's not testing IMO.

This conversation just pisses me off. Nobody deserves a damn thing for posting here. The generosity and vision of THP's owners has given some people a chance to do things that they'd never get to do. That's something to be thankful for. It's not something to be petty and whiny about.

I don't disagree with the fact I got to test two products within six months of being here and I truly appreciate that and am willing to test more stuff. All I want to see where clubs are concerned is that LEFT handed golfers be allowed to participate more in the process.

I never saw anyone really ask many questions about the yellow B330 RX ball, if I had, I would have answered any question anyone had or any other product I was testing for that matter. I want to help the OEM's with their products and give fair and honest evaluations. I just knew after using the Polaras a couple of times they were not for me.

Thanks for a great site which I will continue to follow with great interest.

I don't disagree with the fact I got to test two products within six months of being here and I truly appreciate that and am willing to test more stuff. All I want to see where clubs are concerned is that LEFT handed golfers be allowed to participate more in the process.

I never saw anyone really ask many questions about the yellow B330 RX ball, if I had, I would have answered any question anyone had or any other product I was testing for that matter. I want to help the OEM's with their products and give fair and honest evaluations. I just knew after using the Polaras a couple of times they were not for me.

But that's up to the OEM's not JB, GG, or THP.

I just started signing up for testing this past spring as I wasn't really sure what the process was about or entailed. I wasn't super active for my first few months here, and wanted to get a feel for how things worked before I started throwing my hat in the ring. I'd never want to offend anyone on this website or any company willing to let the average golfer try their products by not signing up. There have been 1 or 2 that I haven't signed up for recently as I was going to be away from the course for several days at a time and didn't feel like I could devote the desired time and effort needed for a fair and honest review. Thanks again for all these opportunities THP!

Great post.

If I was like that then I wouldn't have taken the Vision Balls out for a second round after I had played them once. I consider being selected as a tester a great privilege and one that I intend to do my very best to give honest and accurate feedback regardless of the type of product. Afterall the OEM wants to hear our feedback both positive and negative as it can help them to possibly improve in future iterations.

If people get annoyed that they don't get selected then in my opinion the site is better of without them as members.

This site is the best site on the net for Golf and JB and GG put in so much work to keep it that way. The least we as testers and potential testers can do is to ensure that we give any products we have the opportunity to test our 100% commitment.

That is not up to us, but if you look at many of our club testing, LH have been allowed and been a part of it.
Nike, Wilson, TaylorMade, Cleveland have all set items in LH to test and they have been a part of the testing. We can obviously not ask a company like Boccieri to include LH when they dont make LH clubs.

I think there is a disconnect here as to what testing is really for. Its not to find out if something works for one's game, but more about reporting what different types of golfers experience in trying a product. If every review was supposed to be what works for "me", we would just ask people to write reviews of what is in their bag.

Im not really following the thoughts here. It seems as though it was first about you not getting to test Burner 2.0s and then after the last ball testing, you decided this site was not really for you. I can respect that, but there are people that have been here for years that have never tested a thing. Heck it took Duey (a very active member) almost 3 years to get chosen for something. Smallville is a mod and never been chosen to test clubs.

I have an honest question for you. What makes you believe you should have been chosen to test the Burner 2.0s?
Activity?
Previous reviews?
Previous testing?

Dead set honest, because you opened with that and that you felt slighted not to be chosen. I would really like to know why you believe you should have been chosen?

Toddo, I too tested the Polara ball. It wasn't a ball for me either. Not one part of it fit my game. But I played it in multiple rounds and wrote reviews over the period of a few weeks. That is what the OEM's are looking for. I have been very fortunate to have tested multiple products including a putter and now the Burner 2.0's since the Polara testing. The difference between you and me? Well, I stuck with every review I started, and I am constantly in the top 50 in activity (posts) every month (which I just found out recently there are stats). I don't post to get my counts up, I do it because I enjoy every part of this site and have made many friends here. I share my life in and out of golf and to me, the testing is simply a bonus to an already great site/forum. Do you think Taylor Made would be happy if you didn't like the 2.0's, knew they wern't for you and you didn't review them after one round? Why would TM (or any OEM) take a chance on you by giving you a $600+ set of clubs when you gave up on another review by your own admission? This isn't about liking products, it's about reviewing them and then clearly stating the reasons why you did or didn't like them over an extended period. Not about hitting something once, and stopping if you don't like it. If you want to test, you need to stand out when given an opportunity, and stay active. You will get your chance, I am living proof! :mohawk:

Let's be real here. You want lefty's to get more opportunities because you're a lefty and it just means you have a better chance at getting free stuff. Plain and simple. You don't care if TheChosen1 or TC get picked and their thoughts carry no more weight to you. Don't act like you're a lefty crusader.

Toddo, I too tested the Polara ball. It wasn't a ball for me either. Not one part of it fit my game. But I played it in multiple rounds and wrote reviews over the period of a few weeks. That is what the OEM's are looking for. I have been very fortunate to have tested multiple products including a putter and now the Burner 2.0's since the Polara testing. The difference between you and me? Well, I stuck with every review I started, and I am constantly in the top 50 in activity (posts) every month (which I just found out recently there are stats). I don't post to get my counts up, I do it because I enjoy every part of this site and have made many friends here. I share my life in and out of golf and to me, the testing is simply a bonus to an already great site/forum. Do you think Taylor Made would be happy if you didn't like the 2.0's, knew they wern't for you and you didn't review them after one round? Why would TM (or any OEM) take a chance on you by giving you a $600+ set of clubs when you gave up on another review by your own admission? This isn't about liking products, it's about reviewing them and then clearly stating the reasons why you did or didn't like them over an extended period. Not about hitting something once, and stopping if you don't like it. If you want to test, you need to stand out when given an opportunity, and stay active. You will get your chance, I am living proof! :mohawk:

You don't count man...you've been chosen to test irons and putter:alien:

Let's be real here. You want lefty's to get more opportunities because you're a lefty and it just means you have a better chance at getting free stuff. Plain and simple. You don't care if TheChosen1 or TC get picked and their thoughts carry no more weight to you. Don't act like you're a lefty crusader.

I like that!

Wanted to add that CL is currently testing his second set of irons. You know why he gets to do that?
Spoiler
Because he did such a damn great job the first time

I could say the same thing about women not being chosen to test clubs but I could care less. I didn't come here to be chosen as a tester and I will never be ticked off because I am not chosen. I understand that the majority of people playing these clubs are men who are right handed and I don't have a problem with those being the ones that tell the rest of us how good or bad the product is. I come here to learn and interact with others who love the game as much as I do.

First of all I am not a crusader, nor am I wanting free stuff. I don't know who all the lefties are here...and as I said earlier, some companies don't cater all their gear to left handers and I know that. I just stated my opinion and if some of you don't respect my opinion that is fine. You know the old saying about opinions...

You don't count man...you've been chosen to test irons and putter:alien:

I like that!

Wanted to add that CL is currently testing his second set of irons. You know why he gets to do that?
Spoiler

I never claimed to count! :mohawk:

Spoiler

I strongly agree about CL. He does a great job around here not just testing.

Back