Future of Product Testing on THP

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
**Please take the time to read this entire post please**

Over the last month there has been something on my mind that I want to discuss with the people here since THP is as much about them as it is about us. When we started THP it was about giving people the opportunity to see product reviews for golfers, by golfers and do it 100% honestly. As we grew we came up with an idea to put the clubs right in peoples hands to do that testing.

This was about forum members testing equipment. It was never about free gear for all or free equipment for those that want to be involved. That is obviously an advantage that goes along with the testing if one enjoys the products that they are trying out. The testing was about the fun that people seem to enjoy in testing out new products and helping others find the right products for them. It started out with golf balls and has blossomed into full iron sets, drivers and so much more.

However over the last few months there has been a wave of things come to my attention that I have to address. The notion that "what about me" and why was I not picked. I want to clear the air and have an open discussion (here or via PM) for anybody that would like to be a part of it. This is not about kissing up to THP and saying "thanks for all you do", or the opposite of us coming down on people for being upset, but a learning experience for all that are a part of this forum to understand why things go the way they do, as well as educate us on why things feel the way they do during selection.

First off, to our staffers that test equipment. They write home page articles on THP and review a lot of different things from training aids to apparel and everything in between. We always push for them to be a part of forum testing, but it is not always the case. I am sure there are no issues there, but if there are, feel free to ask away in regards to why or when you are involved either here or PM.

THP wanted to bring the testing to the people. There is testing done at other places and they choose to do it differently. We normally like to do things out in the open and find out who wants to be involved rather than do it behind the scenes. Neither is right or wrong, just different. We thought this was the best way to do it, rather than do it behind the scenes and just randomly pick people we think will do well. We only look for a couple of things in forum testing. First and foremost is activity level. If someone is active, then they will have a better chance to get to test equipment than someone that is not. We know that not everybody has all day to post, however it is important to us to make sure that when handing out hundreds of dollars in equipment that we reward people that have been active on THP. Its not always about tenure, its about activity.

It seems as though with all the good that testing does for helping the people of this forum as well as the people that find the reviews via search engine, more people get upset about not being chosen then people are excited for the reviews they will get to see and hear about. We want everybody to know that we truly understand that and want to remedy this. It has gotten to the point that we are currently reevaluating how to go about testing products for forum members because we feel so bad that people are getting upset or their feelings hurt. That was never our intention.

Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing?
Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible?
Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests?

These are the questions that are running through my mind as we "battle" something that we never thought would be an issue, but now truly understand why it is one.

This is the thread to ask questions, and GolferGal and myself will be here to provide honest and open dialogue and nothing said in here will offend us in any way whatsoever. If you prefer PM, that is okay too.

The goal here is to perfect our forum testing and make THP the one place you can go for all the information you would ever possibly want in an honest format.

Threads like this upset me, but I love the fact that you aren't afraid to ask your forum members. I hate to hear that you deal with complaints, but I love the fact that you are asking for an open discussion.

Keep it the way it is.
I love the variety of opinions that come from different people testing. This is what separates reviews here from large magazines where only a few people test equipment over & over & over.
You can NEVER please everyone. I think the majority of people here all understand what's happening, and realize that these are not give aways and also that you select based on proper merit and belief that someone will do a good job.
I myself retracted my entry to the TM testing recently because I realized that I don't have the skills to offer a good honest review of a product that is fair to the consumer or OEM [also because I'm currently staring at a snow storm].
In the end, people will get upset for whatever reason - either they are having a bad day, or have an entitlement complex. In a community as large as this one, there will always be sour citizens and frankly, my message to them is suck it up and deal with it. Be happy that you're actually given the OPPORTUNITY to enter into something like this. I don't see car forums handing out brand new cars for testing to their members.

The part of the equipment testing that bugs me the most is that people view it as a contest or a chance to get free equipment. I feel like I have taken my role in testing very seriously. I have not tried to make the "Fantastic club. Go out and buy one" post in the testing thread. I do not believe that is the goal of the forum member testing.

I know that it is not just JB and GG making the decisions. There is a lot of thought about who gets the equipment to test. As long as that is clear, then if people get upset, so be it. There is no way to make everybody happy.

**Please take the time to read this entire post please**

Learned my lesson with the Morgan Cup.

Honestly JB,

I am all for any of those 3 ideas or any you have in mind as well. I think it's not on your part and you shouldn't be sorry for hurting peoples feelings, I don't think it hurts their feelings at all and perhaps are just throwing that out to be considered for next time. I think some people aren't getting the message that it takes patience and activity like you said to be chosen for testing.

I think some need to keep the complaining to a minimum and just understand there is a reason why the people chosen were chosen and better luck next time for the rest of you, eventually if you are here long enough you will get selected, I've been here for three years and am currently testing my very first product right now. It's a great honor to be testing things for this forum and I think a few need to grow up a little, it's not the end of the world.

Be patient and your time will come. In my opinion I think you should experiment a little with the ideas you put forth and see which one works best. I don't mind any of those at all and would even encourage stuff being sent out to halt for a little bit so some THPers could see what this forum is really about instead of the "Free Gear" brainwash.

wow, I was on this site for over a year before I won or got seeded for anything and quite frankly it never crossed my mind. I am a very fortunate person that I have a beautiful wife, a house, 2 cars, and my wife and I both have jobs. I got on here to learn about the Nike VR's that I ended up purchasing. I have met some of the best people around from this site. I would be on here and spending this much time with THP because I want to, not for a set of irons or what not. I guess it just sucks hearing that people are complaining. Sorry for ranting a bit, dont know if this thread was for that. But, I guess if THP is only a place for free gear for someone then maybe they need to think about being on THP for the right reason.

im a realist although i enter to test products im in the uk and i know what it costs to ship to the us from here but it dont hurt trying to get invovled. And i for onr would be gutted if you stopped real people testing the products as i find there imput interesting.

I think that the Forum Testing is a great way to expand the knowledge being provided on THP. I was first led to THP for equipment reviews and that plays a large part in what THP does and offers to the public. Having the forum testing is a great way to get people involved and ultimately help others not only here but anyone who would find THP looking for reviews. People testing equipment for the people is the goal IMO and I would be quite sad to see it go. Some of my favorite threads recently have been the testing threads. There is good information to be had out there. We are all not scratch golfers and that is important as not every golfer out there is a scratch golfer. All handicaps come here and want to find out about what may work for them. The forum testing allows different people a chance to try something that they may not have and then take what they learn and share it with everyone else. That's a good thing IMO.

Honestly, I like the idea of a VIP program. Maybe tie to to a donation of some sorts. As well, what about some sort of private forum for those members who contribute to the VIP program to get a "first look" at reviews before they go to the public forum. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have the opportunity to test equipment. But if it's based on activity, your right when you say, "We know that not everybody has all day to post, however it is important to us to make sure that when handing out hundreds of dollars in equipment that we reward people that have been active on THP." For me, most of my reading and posting is done at work, but sometimes I can be very busy, out of town, or otherwise for work.

***Please note, these are just some of the ideas that came to mind initially when you you posed the questions. I'm not saying this is exactly the way it should or shouldn't be done. Just throwing some ideas out there for the sake of argument.

Whatever IS decided, a big THANKS are in order for all the cool testing, demo, and trip opportunities :thp: provides. I haven't EVER been a part of a golf forum that provides as many opportunities to test, demo, and win cool stuff.

The part of the equipment testing that bugs me the most is that people view it as a contest or a chance to get free equipment. I feel like I have taken my role in testing very seriously. I have not tried to make the "Fantastic club. Go out and buy one" post in the testing thread. I do not believe that is the goal of the forum member testing.

I know that it is not just JB and GG making the decisions. There is a lot of thought about who gets the equipment to test. As long as that is clear, then if people get upset, so be it. There is no way to make everybody happy.

Learned my lesson with the Morgan Cup.

That is a good point. It isnt a contest and I think some think of it as one. However I understand why they feel that way when not selected. But testing equipment and writeups is hard work as well, and I hope people understand that.

I would say keep it the way it is, and like was stated, stop sending out equipment for awhile, then you will see who is active and visits the site if everyone knows there will be nothing shipped out for say 3 months. Also, maybe you make another qualifier to even put your hat in for testing bee 100 or even 250 posts.

I guess it's easy to understand why you would run into dilemma's like this as you guys are sending out some great products to all of us. Advertising that on Twitter, FB, etc often brings people who are just looking for freebys, but that also grows the site. People just need to be as active as possible and they will get the chance. I like the way it is now.

I want everyone to know (at least this is my take from JB's post) that this is a "clearing of the air" thread. If you have a problem or a concern, please, feel free to share it either here or via private message.

I won't lie, there's plenty of times I get upset b/c I can't enter to test certain products, b/c I'm left handed. I love my role here on THP, I am always here to answer questions, to give advice, so yeah, I get frustrated when I don't have the opportunity to throw my name in the hat.

Honestly, I like the idea of a VIP program. Maybe tie to to a donation of some sorts. As well, what about some sort of private forum for those members who contribute to the VIP program to get a "first look" at reviews before they go to the public forum. Don't get me wrong, I think everyone should have the opportunity to test equipment. But if it's based on activity, your right when you say, "We know that not everybody has all day to post, however it is important to us to make sure that when handing out hundreds of dollars in equipment that we reward people that have been active on THP." For me, most of my reading and posting is done at work, but sometimes I can be very busy, out of town, or otherwise for work.

***Please note, these are just some of the ideas that came to mind initially when you you posed the questions. I'm not saying this is exactly the way it should or shouldn't be done. Just throwing some ideas out there for the sake of argument.

Whatever IS decided, a big THANKS are in order for all the cool testing, demo, and trip opportunities :thp: provides. I haven't EVER been a part of a golf forum that provides as many opportunities to test, demo, and win cool stuff.

Our fear with a VIP program is alienating more people than it helps. But it is something that has crossed our mind.

JB I personally have no problems with the way I have seen testing handled to this point and I wouldn't change a thing. I am relatively new here and I realize that it will take some time before I can contribute to the site in the form of testing and reviewing and that is ok. I think you guys have something really great going here. You won't always be able to please everyone but as long as the majority is happy then I think you are golden. Keep up the good work!

That is a good point. It isnt a contest and I think some think of it as one. However I understand why they feel that way when not selected. But testing equipment and writeups is hard work as well, and I hope people understand that.

It is hard work, and it's a long process, hence the phrase "long term testing". Some people have been given opportunities to test things in the past and some shine and others don't do so well with it.

I don't really have any issues with the way you doing it now. I would hope people would just be 100% honest when it comes to things like ball testings where you are picking forum members. To be 100% honest, there are certain brands that I'm just not interesting in trying or owning and I won't bore you or anyone else as to who it is or why.

With that being said, I would only throw my name in the hat on products I would like to try or own. Same can be said of the contests. Many times I don't even get involved with a contest thread if the prize is something I don't need or want. Why would I want to win something I would never use.

The only question I have had in the back of my mind is whether or not someone being a paid donor for the current calendar makes a difference. Should it make a difference? Should only paid donors to the site have a chance to test something above all others?

I am of the opinion that you really need to have a staff of established testers as you do now. Some people just do not have the ability to fairly evaluate products and write a good review.

I want everyone to know (at least this is my take from JB's post) that this is a "clearing of the air" thread. If you have a problem or a concern, please, feel free to share it either here or via private message.

I won't lie, there's plenty of times I get upset b/c I can't enter to test certain products, b/c I'm left handed. I love my role here on THP, I am always here to answer questions, to give advice, so yeah, I get frustrated when I don't have the opportunity to throw my name in the hat.

You are 100000% correct. That is what this thread is for. I hate hearing that people are upset because they feel as though they deserve something and did not get it.

The LH thing is tough, it really is. We wish it could be another way, but that part is out of our control.

Keep it the way it is.
I love the variety of opinions that come from different people testing. This is what separates reviews here from large magazines where only a few people test equipment over & over & over.
You can NEVER please everyone. I think the majority of people here all understand what's happening, and realize that these are not give aways and also that you select based on proper merit and belief that someone will do a good job.
I myself retracted my entry to the TM testing recently because I realized that I don't have the skills to offer a good honest review of a product that is fair to the consumer or OEM [also because I'm currently staring at a snow storm].
In the end, people will get upset for whatever reason - either they are having a bad day, or have an entitlement complex. In a community as large as this one, there will always be sour citizens and frankly, my message to them is suck it up and deal with it. Be happy that you're actually given the OPPORTUNITY to enter into something like this. I don't see car forums handing out brand new cars for testing to their members.

I was thinking of a reply to JB's post and RatFink pretty much wrote out what I was thinking for me.

I want to note that I haven't been around a long time and haven't had the chance to demo anything and I have submitted and wasn't chosen. Just the chance to submit myself for testing is exciting in itself and I can put myself in the testers shoes and imagine how excited I would be and how dilligently I would work to submit an honest review of a product. I'm sure all the testers go in with that same mentality (or close to it) and that's what makes the reviews so refreshing, it isn't some PR piece but the average golfer, it could be my next door neighbour or the another member of my weekly foursome. Keep it the way it is. For those who complain, go back to where you were before THP and let those who enjoy and are thankful for the site.

I realize that with most contest, the entry email or post is just to enter. With contests, the entry is to show that a person can write coherent sentences with a grasp of language and syntax. If a person's entry is "I heard the Mashie is great, so I want a Mashie, so I can have a Mashie. The Mashie is better than my hybrid. I don't want to play no bad hybrid no more." And they got selected, I would be pissed.

Our fear with a VIP program is alienating more people than it helps. But it is something that has crossed our mind.

I agree and completely understand. Just typed what came to mind and wanted to contribute to the discussion. Didn't think it would help the conversation to delete what I already typed, if you know what I mean.

You are 100000% correct. That is what this thread is for. I hate hearing that people are upset because they feel as though they deserve something and did not get it.

The LH thing is tough, it really is. We wish it could be another way, but that part is out of our control.

i dont believe any normal member derserves the right to be choosen its just an honour to be concidered

I know it's not in your control dude, but it still irritates the sh*t out of me.

I agree and completely understand. Just typed what came to mind and wanted to contribute to the discussion. Didn't think it would help the conversation to delete what I already typed, if you know what I mean.

But truth be told, it is something we have thought a lot about if it can bring certain things to the table and bring testing ease to everybody.

Like many others, I found this site while researching equipment for my next purchase. I find the forum testing to be very beneficial for several reasons - wide range of golf ability, open and honest feedback, ability to ask the testers questions, etc. It would be a shame to change the process now because of the actions of a few.

Back