Journey to Average 30 Putts per Round.

LOL! You are too funny CB. Thanks for motivating me to go out and practice. I was on the practice green at 8am today and practiced my putting for over an hour and then went and practiced my short game for another hour or more. I'm keeping stats on % made during my practice too. I will post a copy of my spreadsheet after I get enough sessions on there to give an idea of how it works and to show if I improve much. I sure hope so!!!

wow that is motivated! nice work! i am gonna hit up the practice green tommorow night after work! what other drills did you do KB?

This is a good thread.

I am averaging about 1.7 putts per round for this year compared to a previous year of 2.1, so down .4 which is good. I want to be at a 1.5 or 27 putts. My biggest fault right now is speed and leaving it 3-4 inches short on putts that are within 12-15 feet.

wow thats great. thats exactly where i am and where i want to be! what did you do to drop that many putts?

wow that is motivated! nice work! i am gonna hit up the practice green tommorow night after work! what other drills did you do KB?

I practiced putts from 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 20, and 40 feet today. My goal was to do 15 from each distance and record how many I made. The 20' and 40' ones don't have to be made but I have to get within 2-3 feet of the hole on those. That's where my weakness really shined through. I probably putted 45 balls from 40' and 30 balls from 20 feet because I was so bad. I really improved towards the end though.

After that I went out and hit 50 balls from 50 yards out on our practice hole. Then I hit about 20 from 90 yards out. I was so hot and exhausted by then that I was about to go home but decided to play a couple holes and test the lady iQ+ ball that I'm testing. I am BEAT!

That is some great short game practice there KellyBo!! You will be getting better in no time if you keep that up.

I'm a stat nazi for my card as well. I roll on to the fringe and use a putter often. Not a putt, texas wedge maybe? After reading the op, I immediately thought how my lowest putting days actually came from my best chipping days. It really keeps my spirits up to 1 putt a 4' every now and again. I just get exhausted lagging my first putt +25 feet then trying to 2 putt like that the whole round. I have had a -30 putt round but I avg 2.1.

I had to work at the golf course this evening for a few hours and it was SLOW. I love it when it's slow because I can go out to the #9 green by the pro shop and practice. This evening I decided that I really need to keep working on the 40' putts because I have so many 3 putts because of long putts.

I sat a tee down on the 40' mark and decided to play a game. I would play 18 holes from 40' with 2 putts for par, 1 putt for birdie, 3 putts bogey, etc. After 18 starts from 40', I shot 7 over. That means I 3 putted from 40' out 8 times because I actually had one go in. UGGHH. I couldn't believe how hard a time I was having getting the ball to stop close enough to the hole. The hole placement was tough and it had a slope on the right side that would take the ball away but you would think I would miss on the left side to avoid that.

Anyway, I stayed out there for a LONG time tonight and started rolling the ball much better after tons of putts. I have a lot of work to do here. I swear I could easily drop my handicap 4 or more strokes if I could get rid of 3 putts and start dropping more of those putts from 5-10'.

It's funny how quickly you can find out just how bad you are at something if you make the effort to practice specific areas of your game with specific goals.

I had to work at the golf course this evening for a few hours and it was SLOW. I love it when it's slow because I can go out to the #9 green by the pro shop and practice. This evening I decided that I really need to keep working on the 40' putts because I have so many 3 putts because of long putts.

I sat a tee down on the 40' mark and decided to play a game. I would play 18 holes from 40' with 2 putts for par, 1 putt for birdie, 3 putts bogey, etc. After 18 starts from 40', I shot 7 over. That means I 3 putted from 40' out 8 times because I actually had one go in. UGGHH. I couldn't believe how hard a time I was having getting the ball to stop close enough to the hole. The hole placement was tough and it had a slope on the right side that would take the ball away but you would think I would miss on the left side to avoid that.

Anyway, I stayed out there for a LONG time tonight and started rolling the ball much better after tons of putts. I have a lot of work to do here. I swear I could easily drop my handicap 4 or more strokes if I could get rid of 3 putts and start dropping more of those putts from 5-10'.

It's funny how quickly you can find out just how bad you are at something if you make the effort to practice specific areas of your game with specific goals.

Kelly I love how seriously you are taking this and this is exactly the motivation I needed to get better at putting. I have a round tomorrow, and instead of hitting 40 balls at the range before my round, I'm going to hit 5-10 to warm up, and then go to the putting green for a half hour to practice before the round. I think I am going to start by putting a tee in the ground at 30 feet and play your 18 hole game.

Kelly I love how seriously you are taking this and this is exactly the motivation I needed to get better at putting. I have a round tomorrow, and instead of hitting 40 balls at the range before my round, I'm going to hit 5-10 to warm up, and then go to the putting green for a half hour to practice before the round. I think I am going to start by putting a tee in the ground at 30 feet and play your 18 hole game.

That's great CB! I'm anxious to see how you do. I've worked so hard on my game but not hard at all on putting. It's time to change that!

The fact that youre a 12 and you 3putt so much scares me. It shows how almost flawless the rest of your game nearly is.
LOL - you've seen it!

PS CB, I think the way you keep stats is more beneficial to you than the tour proven way. Keep going that way.

The fact that youre a 12 and you 3putt so much scares me. It shows how almost flawless the rest of your game nearly is.

PS CB, I think the way you keep stats is more beneficial to you than the tour proven way. Keep going that way.

I can suck it up with the best of them but I've had some really good rounds too. The last time I had a practice round with my coach, I shot a 41 and had several 3 putts on those fast bent grass greens. He's tried to work with me but I just don't follow up with the practice. The only thing I stink worse at is sand traps. That's on my list to work out too.

glad to see im not the only one that can practice at work! but im just putting on carpet. i set up two cups 40' away and have been putting back and forth on and off today. im mainly trying to get my routine flawless. when i do the routine properly and do all the things in the routine i tend to make better putts. it seems like im forgetting something and then the putts aren't even close. the one thing my instructor said he liked with my putting is i do my routine for every putt even the 2 footers now i think it just builds confidence and i don't get down on myself when i miss the easy putts cause i thought i could just tap it in.

Saw this thread and head to FairwayFiles to check out my putting stats. Looked at the avg. putts and almost pooped myself. 34.93 putts. I should be around 30! Guess what I will be working on these next few weeks before varsity season....

Something thats really helped my putting lately is making a really light grip on the putter, and just feeling the speed of the putt with my left hand (right hand for you silly righties). I stand behind the ball, looking at the hole, and just try and feel with my left hand how hard I would have to roll the ball with my hand to get it to the hole, when I feel I have that speed in my mind, I just roll the putt with that same feeling in my left hand. My speed has gotten much much better since I started this.

I have lightened my grip tremendously. It really helps on those downhill putts and fast greens. I get preached to by my instructor about a pre-shot routine on my putts even when I'm practicing. I really need to make that happen even when practicing. It definitely works!!

I have lightened my grip tremendously. It really helps on those downhill putts and fast greens. I get preached to by my instructor about a pre-shot routine on my putts even when I'm practicing. I really need to make that happen even when practicing. It definitely works!!

yeah the preshot routine has really helped with my confidence.

I feel like I putted better today but I still had two 3 putts and missed a few putts because I keep decelerating. I got some good advice from one of the guys today about finishing my putts and not being afraid to go 2' past the hole because I can make those putts coming back but I can't make a putt if I leave it short. I need to be reminded of that over and over because I leave so many just short of the hole.

Here are my stats.

38 on front
5 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

46 on back
2 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

Total 32 putts

I did a good job chipping today and should have capitalized on it by making more putts. The practice definitely helped and I will work on the deceleration problem. I made a great birdie putt today!

I feel like I putted better today but I still had two 3 putts and missed a few putts because I keep decelerating. I got some good advice from one of the guys today about finishing my putts and not being afraid to go 2' past the hole because I can make those putts coming back but I can't make a putt if I leave it short. I need to be reminded of that over and over because I leave so many just short of the hole.

Here are my stats.

38 on front
5 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

46 on back
2 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

Total 32 putts

I did a good job chipping today and should have capitalized on it by making more putts. The practice definitely helped and I will work on the deceleration problem. I made a great birdie putt today!

KB, as usual your work ethic inspires me! Your dedication to improve your putting is going to pay off big time since I know how hard you'll be going at it.

I've got to put in the time with mine, with teaching about to start up again and my rounds sure to go down per week I really want to try and swing a putting green for my room, hours of work and fun.

Here are my stats.

38 on front
5 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

46 on back
2 GIR
16 putts (one 3 putt)

Total 32 putts

great job KB looks like youre already starting to improve! i can't wait to hit the green tonight and play tomorrow

Slipped out of work early today to try out the mystery balls I received this morning. Spent an hour on the putting green trying to hone the shorter backstroke on shorter putts, its gonna longer than an hour...trying to give those short ones a little pop instead of getting long and deccelerating at impact. Took it to the course and actually saw some results, putts were consistently better and more on line, of course had I picked the correct line it would have been better! Speed was also better; not great, but better, especially on the 10-20' putts, didn't leave anything woefully short today, mostly around 2' short to 3' past.

Ran past a ton of edges today, more than I ever remember. I kinda liked that at first, it was a little exciting to catch the lip. Kinda like "you almost got it!" then I remembered I wasn't playing horseshoes.

Anyhow, 4 3 putts on the round, 7 1 putts, and 7 2 putts. Total of 33.

--
tapatalk

Got home an hour ago from my round and I'm spending some time with my son and have some clean up to do, but putting was quite good today, the round was weird but thats for a different thread. I had 34 putts today, and only 1 3 putt, and that was a VERY GOOD 3 PUTT! I had quite a few makeable birdie putts that I didn't get to fall, but I did make some good up and downs for par, and a couple for bogey. All in all a decent putting day.

Man this is a tough goal. My putting is the only thing stopping me from being a scratch golfer so I definitely need to achieve this milestone!

went to the range and putting green right after work tonight. hit a medium bucket half i did half shots with my wedges. then i went to the putting green. hit chip shots for an hour still trying to get my chipping better and do it the way my instructor is teaching me. when i hit them correctly they were really good. figured this will help my putting a lot once it becomes second nature. then i worked on my putting. i realized something something tonight when i was putting i remembered something my instructor said a couple weeks ago watching video of me putting i apparently lift my head and folow my putt and it makes me pull my putts left of the hole. so after i made a effort of picking a spot an inch in front of my ball and rolling it over it and keeping my head down till i was completely finished my stroke i was lagging putts A LOT better. i played the 2 putt game at the end of my session where i have to 2 putt from every hole to the next the mini flags are numbered. took me 3 times to get it done and i finished just in time some storms came rolling in when i put my clubs in the trunk. im glad this thread was started its gonna push me even more to work on my putting. playing a nice course tomorrow so see how that goes hopefully we get there early i can get a feel for the greens before we start.

Good job everyone. We are already improving a little just because we are practicing instead of talking about how bad we putt. :act-up:

Back