Hitting into people

id never hit a ball back at someone that hit into me. i don't understand why anyone would do the same thing that just pissed them off. its dangerous! ive only "hit into" people 2 times both were on par 4s on courses ive never played before that i drove the green in 1. and i went out of my way to apologize to both 4 somes. both groups laughed and said nice shot. and both times i felt horrible. theres no excuse to hit into anyone on purpose and if i ever played with anyone that did i would never play with them again! If im in a rush and want to play through i ask the group in front or just skip a hole if need be.

You bring up something here that I'd like to point out. I HATE when someone comes up on me who is playing faster, then you offer to let them play through and they decline even though you know they are impatiently waiting behind you, hitting as soon as they feel you're far enough ahead.

I hate that too, if I feel pressure to hurry and get out of someone's way I don't play well. I will always offer to let faster players play through. After being refused a few times I've gotten to the point where I finish the hole and wait on the next tee and insist they go ahead of me, usually don't get much argument that way.

I think hitting into the group ahead is childish (not to mention dangerous).

You're playing golf with many other people on the course and more importantly, you KNEW that's how it would be before you got there (or you should have known).
Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow.

Grow up, learn to accept that and deal with it.

My idiot (I refuse to call him my friend) hit a dude the other day. I was off looking for my ball, and all of a sudden, I hear "FORE." I yelled FORE as well, and automatically looked ahead and saw it hit the dude. The dude yelled and stormed off (it was on 18). He wanted to apologize, but we never got the chance.

You're playing golf with many other people on the course and more importantly, you KNEW that's how it would be before you got there (or you should have known).

Agreed. I've found that most people who are playing slow and falling behind don't even realize it. If a course marshal isn't around, just nicely ask to play through and if they refuse or are rude, just skip the hole and move on.

Agreed. I've found that most people who are playing slow and falling behind don't even realize it. If a course marshal isn't around, just nicely ask to play through and if they refuse or are rude, just skip the hole and move on.

Bingo, that's what I've taken to. Some let me play through, others that scoff I tell politely that's fine and move to the next hole.

I never hit into anyone. I just don't think it is worth the risk. I have accidentally smoked a few close or blind shotted, but never on purpose. I always try to let faster golfers go through, although I'm a decent speed golfer myself. If I slice or hook a ball, I spend less than two or three minutes searching - or until the last person in my foursome hits which is generally less than 5 minutes, then I give up on the ball.

Now, I have been hit into. The first time, I'll give a wave. The second time is a stand over the ball arms outstretched. Preferably they get close enough so that I can have a few calm words with them. It actually bothers me more that they put my friends at risk than the risk I feel personally. Somewhere along the way I have found the right balance between pleasant and threatening as I have never gotten to the third time.

Plus it will get you kicked off the course at my home course. You just can't have it.

If you know the person is in your driving range just don't do it

I would consider it hitting in to people if your ball actually passes them, or lands close. There is an unwritten rule on my course that on the 1 driveable par 4, you wait until they are on the green to shoot unless you think you can carry the green, then you wait. We figure if you're just rolling on to the green you won't hurt anybody. The rule only applies to fellow members (usually in tourneys or on men's night), if it's green feeers then just wait till they're gone.

I always go for the group behind me, keeps them alert.

It is completely wrong to hit into somebody(i justify this by landing near them, or within a bounce, if you bomb a drive and it rolls up to them it's kind of ok then but only once). If i get hit into first i listen for a Fore if i don't hear one then ill stand near their ball and put my hands up while looking back. It will piss me off but ill let it go. If this happens again you best bet your ass it's coming back to you. It is simply wrong and shouldn't happen. You should know how far you hit your clubs and if it's a remarkable distance ill let it slide but if my group is well within range and you hit that ball is gonna be flying back at you

I will actually pick the ball up and get in the cart and take it back to the golfer and tell them about there terrible edicite and if they do it again i will call the club house. I have never had to call I guess having there ball handed back is enough to give a hint that I dont play with stuff like that. I will wait till I know they are out of my range no matter how slow they are playing. My buddies always say im good but i have the freak tendancey of crushing a 300 plus drive from time to time.

It hurts to get hit by a ball. Hitting the ball back at somebody shows you are twice as stupid as they are.

It hurts to get hit by a ball. Hitting the ball back at somebody shows you are twice as stupid as they are.

I agree with you 100%. I understand it happening once but if it continues I will go talk with the group. I'm not a person to pick up a ball or hit it back.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

haha yes i don't think i have ever hit a ball back at anyone except once and it was teammates in HS and i didn't have nearly enough club to get there. Mainly i will just hold my arms up and say something when they get close enough or call the pro shop and have the ranger go talk to them but we usually take care of it ourselves because my dad still works at the course and i use to.

i completely agree! you're even worse than the person that originally hit into you. i can't even imagine doing that to ANYONE! i have a hot temper sometimes but id never put someone at risk like that.

At recent outing I loaned my driver to a guy in my group who wanted to hit it. We had been hitting poorly all day but absolutely bombed my driver well over the group in front of us we all stared in awe then realized how far he hit it and yelled fore at the same time. Luckily the group heard us and ducked and looked back. We apologized to them, thankfully they were ok with it and even commented on the bomb.

I actually think I may have accidentally hit into a group in front of me a couple weeks ago. Me and a buddy were playing and the group in front of us were running up and down the fairway in both carts. I think they would find a ball and then go look for another then another then come back and hit the first one then move on to each ball. Really weird and annoying plus slow. We were on the 18th and was sure they were way out of range so I teed up and hit a big fade/small slice right next to a pine on the edge of the fairway, my buddy hit then hit his second as he did clear the crick went to where my ball should have been but couldn't find my ball. The only thing I can think of is they dropped a guy off and then came back to get him but didn't drive in the fairway.

I actually had a guy catch my two some a couple weeks back. This dude was good and was playing speed golf. Me and my partner were getting ready to putt and realized this guys was ready to play his third shot into the green, we stepped off the green and waved him on. We let him finish the hole before we did. I did have to fix this guys nasty diviot and did so while he was still finishing up the hole because he simply blew by it. I bet I fixed a divot on every other whole that was not mine and I suspect they were his. If your gonna fast at least fix the divots on the greens.

I got hit into TWICE yesterday on THE SAME HOLE. And I'm not talking about the ball rolled near me. I mean the ball flew near my head (within a few yards) both times. I let it go the first time. The second time, I had a SW in my hand. I turned and hit the ball back to the group behind us. (Sadly it was the best shot I hit all day).

This happened on 9. There were 3 groups backed up on 10 tee. After we teed off, I told the guys behind us, "I'm not trying to start anything, but for your information, you hit into us twice on the last hole. I'd appreciate if you'd be more considerate." They then wanted to fight because I'd hit their ball back at them.

:banghead:

If it would have happened at our course and I was working, I would have warned them, and kicked you out. Two wrongs never make a right.

I always err on the side of caution and courtesy. I think looking back and seeing folks waiting all the time is more persuasive than seeing a ball roll up behind you. The later just shows your impatient. I also don't think there is anythign wrong with asking to play through as long as the group your passing isn't be held up by the group in front of them.

Hitting into people is childish and dangerous. If they are playing slow just ask to play through, if they dont let you then wait or skip the hole. Golf is supposed to be fun and relaxing, and getting stressed out about something other than your golf game (which causes most of us enough stress on the course) just takes away from your enjoyment.

This just happened to us yesterday. We were walking off of a 175 yard par 3 and were maybe 10 yards right of the green walking to the next tee and a guy bombed one in on us. I wouldn't have even hit with a group that close and these guys behind us sucked. And as we continued to walk to the next tee two of his partners also hit big slices near where we were. It was not like we were playing slow, we were right on the heels of the group ahead of us. To add insult to injury (or near injury), while our 4th guy was teeing off one of the guys in the other group who was nearby searching for his ball slams on the gas pedal right in his backswing. That's when a discussion/argument occurred wherein it was pointed out that maybe a little golf etiquette would be in order. Fun on a muni course on the weekend.

I discovered a new way of dealing with being hit into last weekend. While playing in a benefit scramble tourney, our group ended up being paired with the group that had the slowest (and possibly most intoxicated) player on the course.
While waiting for him to hit a chip shot on a short par 5, the group behind us (without ever yelling fore or anything) hit a ball that rolled up to my partner's feet. He pulled a sharpie from his pocket and wrote "FORE" in huge letters on the ball. We had no additional problems from that group, and ended up finishing a hole ahead of them.

I discovered a new way of dealing with being hit into last weekend. While playing in a benefit scramble tourney, our group ended up being paired with the group that had the slowest (and possibly most intoxicated) player on the course.
While waiting for him to hit a chip shot on a short par 5, the group behind us (without ever yelling fore or anything) hit a ball that rolled up to my partner's feet. He pulled a sharpie from his pocket and wrote "FORE" in huge letters on the ball. We had no additional problems from that group, and ended up finishing a hole ahead of them.

I actually love that.

But the worst is when the group ahead of you and the wind is in your face. I always yell something but whenever the wind is in my face I can never yell loud enough. It sucks

Back