Hitting into people

There's no chance I would ever hit into a group intentionally. We were playing, what I thought was, slow our last round. I never saw the group over the hill. I drove my ball over top of them, they never even saw it. As soon as we started walking forward, I saw them and got the worst feeling in my stomach. I apologized right there and again at the clubhouse. I could never imagine doing something like that on purpose....

I discovered a new way of dealing with being hit into last weekend. While playing in a benefit scramble tourney, our group ended up being paired with the group that had the slowest (and possibly most intoxicated) player on the course.
While waiting for him to hit a chip shot on a short par 5, the group behind us (without ever yelling fore or anything) hit a ball that rolled up to my partner's feet. He pulled a sharpie from his pocket and wrote "FORE" in huge letters on the ball. We had no additional problems from that group, and ended up finishing a hole ahead of them.

That's hilarious I would have liked to see the look on his face when he picked up his ball and saw that wrote on it.

Tossing someone's ball into the woods or a lake isn't enough to make up for potentially getting severely injured by a golf ball... but it is a good start.

If I come back safely from two wars just to be taken out by a jackass on a golf course I will haunt the crap out of him.

I have been hit by a ball. Tee shot with driver, but it bounced in rough once before it hit me in ribs. (Came from a different hole) But, you know, it really hurt less than a paint ball. Didnt even welt up! I was kinda suprised. lol

I am a confrontational person. I will tell you if I think something is wrong. And base my entire view of this subject on what I percieve. If it is obvious to me that you did not mean to hit into me (incrediable drive, blind shot, amazing weird lie blast) I really could care less.

Now, if I am on a par three, and barley off the green, and you hit, you better hope you are a good golfer and hit the green. If not, I will let you know what time it is, and hope you learn your lesson the first time. I am very nice, and the only thing that really gets to me is when people have attitude for no reason, this included. I have no problem making an example of somebody who acts like other people are just a hassle in their life.

I know I am in the minority here, but, guess its just who I am. The funny thing is, I am one of the nicest about it of all the people I know. haha

I was getting ready for my second shot on a flat, straight par 4 after a drive of only 250ish. We were waiting for every shot and the course was obviously bottlenecked. Well both guys in the group behind me tee off, with the second rolling the ball right beside me. I turn and yell so they know what they did, and they appeared to laugh. The very next hole, I hit my drive around 240 and had a 8 iron to the green. Once again, they tee off and the ball rolls between my legs! Again, they looked like they were laughing. I turned around and launched a beautiful 8 iron shot back at them. Obviously, I only did this because I knew I couldn't possibly hit them. They got the message and I got a little practice for the upcoming approach :)

In the recent thread about slow play, somebody mentioned hitting a shot close to the slow players as a warning signal to hurry up.

This made me realize that technically I don't know what is considered hitting into people. Obviously hitting a shot that has the potentital to hit the players ahead is dangerous but where do you draw the line?

For example, the last round I played I was about to hit my second shot when a golf ball bounced and rolled right past me. That is definitely too close for comfort and the player later apologized to me at the clubhouse.

BUT, on another round, the golfers behind me were obviously pretty good and after hitting my 2nd or 3rd shot, I would look back about 20-30 yards and their shot would be there. It this a little bit different because they know how to control their shot and they knew the ball would get that far to me?

Do you guys technically consider it "hitting into people" if the ball is anywhere close to the person or only if it is still moving when it gets to the players? AND, would it tick you off if either had happened to you?

Just curious
On my last round the group behind me hit a ball that smashed into my cart. Definitely too close! I turned around and delivered a solid stink-eye, which was responded to with an apologetic wave (and another apology when they caught up to us on the next tee). The guy just really got hold of his shot and it went a lot farther than he expected.

In general I am a very relaxed guy, but this is one of the few things that really makes my blood boil. It's ignorant, unnecessary, and dangerous.

I have been hit by a ball. Tee shot with driver, but it bounced in rough once before it hit me in ribs. (Came from a different hole) But, you know, it really hurt less than a paint ball. Didnt even welt up! I was kinda suprised. lol

I am a confrontational person. I will tell you if I think something is wrong. And base my entire view of this subject on what I percieve. If it is obvious to me that you did not mean to hit into me (incrediable drive, blind shot, amazing weird lie blast) I really could care less.

Now, if I am on a par three, and barley off the green, and you hit, you better hope you are a good golfer and hit the green. If not, I will let you know what time it is, and hope you learn your lesson the first time. I am very nice, and the only thing that really gets to me is when people have attitude for no reason, this included. I have no problem making an example of somebody who acts like other people are just a hassle in their life.

I know I am in the minority here, but, guess its just who I am. The funny thing is, I am one of the nicest about it of all the people I know. haha

Nothing wrong with a little honesty! I lean your way. Anything can happen, be the intentional shots into others is never a good idea. Mistakes happen, but many people hit were hit by shots that were not mistakes. That is when things get hairy.

If I can hear your ball hit the ground behind me it is too close, that is what I consider hitting into me. It doesn't have to hit anyone and I don't care where it ends up.

I will actually pick the ball up and get in the cart and take it back to the golfer and tell them about there terrible edicite and if they do it again i will call the club house. I have never had to call I guess having there ball handed back is enough to give a hint that I dont play with stuff like that. I will wait till I know they are out of my range no matter how slow they are playing. My buddies always say im good but i have the freak tendancey of crushing a 300 plus drive from time to time.

lol my buddy got his gf to go back and hand the ball back to them... she's much much nicer than he is and is a tiny lil thing 5'4 and barely 100lbs
those guys found out really quick when they reached the green and we were still on the tee box why it was better that she did it
my buddy is 6'6 260 and wears really tight golf shirts and he turned to them and asked "did you get your ball back okay?"
"oh yeah yeah sorry bout that wont happen again" hahaha

ive been hit with a golf ball before. it hurt ALOT. I wouldnt ever hit into anyone. I have driven up to a few people and asked them to play faster however.

lol my buddy got his gf to go back and hand the ball back to them... she's much much nicer than he is and is a tiny lil thing 5'4 and barely 100lbs
those guys found out really quick when they reached the green and we were still on the tee box why it was better that she did it
my buddy is 6'6 260 and wears really tight golf shirts and he turned to them and asked "did you get your ball back okay?"
"oh yeah yeah sorry bout that wont happen again" hahaha

Bwahahahaha.

I know that my absolute max distance on any straight away, unaided drive is about 280. If the group is within 300 and I have driver in hand, it is a no go. For 3 wood, 260. On par threes, once they are in the cart.

That isn't even safe enough for me.....!

That is when I start my routine. They are driving off by the time I hit my shot.

I actually had an instance the other day where I got yelled at while I was in the middle of the fairway because I hadnt hit my 2nd shot yet. It was a long par 5 and because it was a practice round I wanted to try going for the green/show my mom about hitting driver off the deck instead of laying up. The group in-front of me was probably the slowest group on the greens I have ever seen (like 15 minutes to putt out) but even that was no excuse to hit to the green while they were there. The people off the tee decided to tee off into me even though they could see the people on the green...Two things happened after that: I hit the green in 2 on a par 5 for the first time :) and I got a free ball :snicker:

ive been hit with a golf ball before. it hurt ALOT. I wouldnt ever hit into anyone. I have driven up to a few people and asked them to play faster however.

That is the marshall's job - to ask people to move faster - not mine, I am not going to initiate that contact. If they aren't doing their job then I call the pro shop and talk to them about it. I want to move things along but I am not interested in getting shot over a slow play argument on the golf course, not worth it.

In the recent thread about slow play, somebody mentioned hitting a shot close to the slow players as a warning signal to hurry up.

This made me realize that technically I don't know what is considered hitting into people. Obviously hitting a shot that has the potentital to hit the players ahead is dangerous but where do you draw the line?

For example, the last round I played I was about to hit my second shot when a golf ball bounced and rolled right past me. That is definitely too close for comfort and the player later apologized to me at the clubhouse.

BUT, on another round, the golfers behind me were obviously pretty good and after hitting my 2nd or 3rd shot, I would look back about 20-30 yards and their shot would be there. It this a little bit different because they know how to control their shot and they knew the ball would get that far to me?

Do you guys technically consider it "hitting into people" if the ball is anywhere close to the person or only if it is still moving when it gets to the players? AND, would it tick you off if either had happened to you?

Just curious

Perhaps I should tread lightly here since I'm new to the site but here is my take. Maybe this topic is a powder keg for someone like myself.

I totally do no not believe in firing a warning shot as I think this is in bad taste and irresponsible with a hint of negligence. As far as it goes regarding speeding a group up if a group is holding either you or the course up that is what a marshall and/or a quick call to the Pro Shop is for. If someone is remotely within reach I will not hit my drive. There was one time recently into a strong headwind where there was a group in front of me and I thought there was no chance of getting near them. I absolutely killed my drive (par 5)and 320 later (ground was hard..drought) it rolled past them. I apologized profusely and they said "please don't that was a hell of a drive". I felt awful.

Has it happened to me? Yes. I've been hit 3 times. Did it tick me off..yes those particular times. But on one course I was on the green and a ball came rolling through 340 yards later it was a guys tee shot. All I said was "good on you... sink the eagle". He missed the eagle and consequent birdie.

When do I consider it hitting into someone? Simple.. when you're on the tee and you intend on hitting it into them because you wanna move them along.

Alex

Last edited:
I hate people hitting into me. I have enough to worry about hitting the ball. I don't need to feel rushed as well.

I am considered a longer hitter, so to avoid any chance of hitting into people in groups in front of me, I will always hit last in any group I'm a part of. I don't care about honours when it comes to my own, I'd rather see my own playing group tee off from the shortest hitter to the longest. By the time that process is completed, the group ahead of us is 95% of the time out of my reach and it's safe for me to swing.

I have experienced hitting a person once in my golf experiences. 430 yard par 4 with a dogleg to the left. If you can carry a ball 270-275, you can take it over the trees down the left and land it in a generous landing area for an easy second to the green. Well, I hit what I thought was a perfect drive that would land safe. The group in front of me was walking up after their second shots. Turns out my shot hit a sprinkler head, jump up and forward, and hit one of them square in the back. The person who I hit? The same guy who had witnessed my hole-in-one on a short par 4 the day before. Luckily they had heard the ball hit the sprinkler and didn't fault me, but I still felt like crap.

I agree with everyone saying that you should never hit while people are within your MAX range. I understand everyone is going to catch one perfect every now and then (its happened to me), but if you know a group is within your max range, don't swing. A playing partner of mine in a junior tournament one time was walking off the green. He was on the fringe when someone in the group behind us decided to hit (this was on a par 4). Ball hit him square in the side of the head and knocked him out cold. This was one of two times I have ever completely flipped out on a golf course. Really scary thing to see in person.

IMO hitting into the group in front isnt acceptable in any circumstance, unless they wave you through and they are well aware of a ball possible coming their way.

IMO hitting into the group in front isnt acceptable in any circumstance, unless they wave you through and they are well aware of a ball possible coming their way.

i hate when ppl wave me thru cuz most of the time i really screw up my shot worrying about getting too close to them

Do any of you have experience being sued in court? I have had some experience and some of my friends have been there also. The first thing I had to learn was that what I considered as logical was not even considered in court. Logic and the law have nothing in common. The second thing was that the lawyer represents the interests of my insurance company and not my best interests. Don't be surprised if it costs you on top of what the insurance company pays. If you don't have liability insurance and have to get your own lawyer, don't be surprised if your lawyer bills you five to ten thousand dollars for a small case even if you win. Lastly remember that the courts seem to exist to make a living for the lawyers at your expense.

My Opinion is to never hit a ball back at someone and hit them or accidentally hit someone. Second get in writing that your liability insurance covers you in all situations, especially if you are found at simple fault, simply negligent or grossly negligent.

So I get to the 18th today and the group in front of us is waiting for the group in front of them. It's been a long day and there was a fair amount of waiting though this was the first truly backed up tee box. So the 2nd group tees off and plays and then the 1st group tees off and plays and I'm standing in the box waiting for the 1st group to get on to the green. A jackass in the group behind me says "What are you waiting for? Are you gonna drive it 300 yards?" I replied "it's wait now or wait later. What's the difference?" I then proceeded to drive it 280, which is about where the group in front of us had been standing when the jackass asked his question.

I will admit that I did, accidentally, hit into the group in front of us today because I nutted my 3 wood on a par 5, which I did not expect given how I had been playing. "Fortunately" it landed in the greenside bunker and not on the green where they were putting. I also apologized to them when I got the chance.

Overall, I frown upon hitting into the group in front of you, even if they're slow. Call the pro shop and get a ranger/marshall out if it's overly bad. But generally they're backed up because of the group in front of them, which is backed up because of the group in front of them, etc. etc. etc.

I discovered a new way of dealing with being hit into last weekend. While playing in a benefit scramble tourney, our group ended up being paired with the group that had the slowest (and possibly most intoxicated) player on the course.
While waiting for him to hit a chip shot on a short par 5, the group behind us (without ever yelling fore or anything) hit a ball that rolled up to my partner's feet. He pulled a sharpie from his pocket and wrote "FORE" in huge letters on the ball. We had no additional problems from that group, and ended up finishing a hole ahead of them.

I like this one.

Do any of you have experience being sued in court? I have had some experience and some of my friends have been there also. The first thing I had to learn was that what I considered as logical was not even considered in court. Logic and the law have nothing in common. The second thing was that the lawyer represents the interests of my insurance company and not my best interests. Don't be surprised if it costs you on top of what the insurance company pays. If you don't have liability insurance and have to get your own lawyer, don't be surprised if your lawyer bills you five to ten thousand dollars for a small case even if you win. Lastly remember that the courts seem to exist to make a living for the lawyers at your expense.

My Opinion is to never hit a ball back at someone and hit them or accidentally hit someone. Second get in writing that your liability insurance covers you in all situations, especially if you are found at simple fault, simply negligent or grossly negligent.

Sadly I have first hand experience in what you say and all that you say is true, except you forgot one important point, even when you are totally in the right it can still cost you dearly. The courts are a very expensive proposition, even when you win you can lose big financially. And being right is no guarantee of not being the big loser in the court room financially and otherwise.

Anyone hitting a ball back at a group that hit into them, is the first thrown out at our course. Getting hit into is often a honest mistake. Getting hit into twice is normally not a honest mistake. That is when a call needs to be made to the clubhouse. Two wrongs simply never make a right. Last thing I would ever do is lower myself to the standards of those that would hit into someone.

Back